Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 07-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phallax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No because its a part of classic...
Im one of those people that prefer looks over stats...for the most part. I wore totemic for ever because I refused to have the leather look on a barbarian with gator legs and foremans, absolutely hate the look, so used totemic untill I could replace with other chain/plate looking items. Still using totemic legs today because the only upgrade other than pathetic leather looking legs are planar and I havent been to hate in months.
I can respect that!

I remember decking out my high elf enchanter in things that used leather and plate graphics any time I could just to mess with people. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

EDIT: and yes because I looked cool.
Last edited by guineapig; 07-16-2010 at 11:28 AM..
Old 07-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendbyname [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Character models, UI's, and textures have nothing to do with the nostalgia of playing EQ classic for me. Cosmetic changes have no impact on gameplay, but instead just make it easier on my eyes. I can still enjoy classic everquest playing in 1920x1080, with two monitors, some updated graphics, and a much faster internet connection. Did you add a dial-up line to your computer to keep it "classic" too?
Gotta agree 100%. People act like if there's ANYTHING at all you're fine with not being classic, then you should just go play on live, which is nothing at all like classic EQ. It's such a ridiculous false dichotomy, the whole ALL CLASSIC 100% OR GO PLAY LIVE crap people throw around.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And when you do so, you still see it exactly how you want to see it, right? And if someone sees it differently, you never know the difference. Do you see people going "Damn.... I wonder if he sees me the way he's supposed to. I mean, he MIGHT see me as a Luclin model, and that makes things less fun for me."

How your character looks on other peoples screens when you never know the difference one way or another is such an incredibly trivial and asinine thing to worry about.

This is true, but, if someone finds enjoyment for different reasons, is that really so bad?

I mean, I hate Luclin models, but I can't even fathom caring if someone else wants to use them.
I think other than keeping it nostalgic, Dumesh made a very valid arguement as to why it effects the players that dont use models when others do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendbyname [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did you add a dial-up line to your computer to keep it "classic" too?
I was a lucky spoiled 19 year old and still lived at home with a job and payed for my own cable service. So never had to deal with dial-up on EQ, just UO.
Last edited by Phallax; 07-16-2010 at 11:30 AM..
Old 07-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phallax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think other than keeping it nostalgic, Dumesh made a very valid arguement as to why it effects the players that dont use models when others do.
And the problem is with his entire argument is he will never know the difference if someone is using different models. Like I said, I could go activate the models, even though I hate them, just to spite him, but it would be pointless because he would never know the difference, nor would anyone.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Sarnak

Send a message via ICQ to Qaedain Send a message via AIM to Qaedain Send a message via MSN to Qaedain

This is awesome! Can't wait to try it when I get home!
Old 07-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Banned

I wouldn't mind the Luclin models so much if they weren't the worst models in any game ever. I'd prefer the pre-beta 5 polygon count models tbh.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wouldn't mind the Luclin models so much if they weren't the worst models in any game ever. I'd prefer the pre-beta 5 polygon count models tbh.
They do look incredibly awful.

Fucking sprites would probably look better.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I love people that hate on the original troll/ogre graphics vs "updated" luclin, I think the classic ogre/trolls are 100x better than luclin ogre/trolls.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Kobold

Relax folks... seriously. I don't know why people get so passionate over this. More than anything, my work on this was for a friend of mine who would play on P99 except he can't stand the old world models. Thats his loss for not being able to see past that and find the gameplay that we both miss from our early days in EQ.

However, I like the luclin models better too, excluding the troll and ogre models of course. So, with some free time, I spent a bit of effort researching and working this out.

I knew it would be a pandora's box. Hell, I was half expecting to be banned for posting it. But whatever happens, just let people play this in the way they found when they first started EQ. Thats the point. Whether it was gameplay, or the world of Norrath, or the game lore, whatever it was that drew you to EQ in the first place, play the game that way as best you can. Otherwise, you are just screwing yourself because the rest of us are going to keep on playing the game we remember and loved.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
I love people that hate on the original troll/ogre graphics vs "updated" luclin, I think the classic ogre/trolls are 100x better than luclin ogre/trolls.
*scratch**scratch*

Seriously though - to each their own on it I guess. I'm not gonna say how anyone else should look at things... but I'll be running the classic... why?

Because - like it was said above... I'd like to see other players in the form they intended others to see them in. If you are using Luclin graphics, it will be subjectively better on your end, but I'll see you '99 style.

And that could be a multi-colored dwarf with reg pigtails.
Since 'classic' was the concept - even for the models, that's how I'll be rollin'.

Not going to hate on different opinions. I really don't mind the Luclin graphics - for the most part, but the humans and DE's stand funny.....
Last edited by Overcast; 07-16-2010 at 11:49 AM..