Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 03:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Which computer games (if any) require skill?

I only play two games - EQ and Quake Live, which is a modernized version of Quake 3.

QL revolves around skill and pretty much nothing else IMO.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am anxiously awaiting more non sequiturs and straw men from you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It feels like we're not debating the same topic really.

I'm not saying that chanting through velk named dogs is just a matter of time, of course it takes skill (and luck). And of course setting up complex pulls in VP or ToV is also a matter of skill.

If we decide that being able to do something like that is being good at EQ, very well, but that will mean that probably at least 95% of P99 players are "bad" and only a few select ones will earn the "good" label.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:42 AM
Planar Protector

I can't remember now and their forums are long gone, but wasn't Furor as close to BiS as it gets?

I mean he was the GL of FoH, also their MT, and I think it was pretty much their policy that he would get first pick on all llot.

Can't believe their forums haven't been saved for the history sake.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:44 AM
Aviak

This could be a good contest for green. How much phat lewtz can you get by the end of classic, kunark and velious? Can you beat Furor and Tigole?

LoS normally wrote on their guild news page who won the different loot, so if someone is patient and bored they could make magelo profiles for everyone.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:46 AM
Aviak

What is the max. hp or ac a warrior can get and max mana a caster can get in the diffèrent expansions?
Old 07-08-2019, 06:25 AM
Orc

Afterlife of Mithaniel Marr had many folks who had top end gear, most considered BiS even though there was not a specific cookie cutter idea such as that acronym. We did however have an endless supply of raiders which generated enormous amounts of DKP for the extremely hardcore within our core group. When we created the guild we also created the DKP system to enrich the success of raids and attendance while also increasing the gear progression. I can think of a number of people who had top tier gear, considered BiS for that time. Aftathott - Bard, Hobben - Rogue, Jenamdar - Shaman, Icks and myself (Supa) - SK, Greycloud and Waihung - Warrior. These are just some few examples of individuals who had the end game items. I would say from classic up until after PoTime our guild farmed everything end game regularly until the next new content came out, and even then we farmed anything older which still provided upgrades or purpose.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I only play two games - EQ and Quake Live, which is a modernized version of Quake 3.

QL revolves around skill and pretty much nothing else IMO.
Yes, K/D ratio and not some bs killstreaks or other gimmicks. Knowing how to aim and move.. manipulate the controls, where the spawn points are, the most likely avenues players will take to anticipate their moves. DoD: Source Gungame was my poison, on the Adult Gaming Community server.

I would argue EQ takes skill but that skill is below the radar of players. Just need someone not familiar with games or computers to be reminded of that. I could peel the eyelids back on the older gentleman here at my post with basic typing, its a skill but not something our generation considers anymore. EQ taught me typing, having to splurt out info in the heat of battle (before voice comms)

So its like what the other poster said, the skill is not something we notice anymore but its noticeable when someone doesn't have it.
Last edited by Mblake81; 07-08-2019 at 09:15 AM..
Old 07-08-2019, 12:42 PM
Planar Protector

Am I the only one that thinks that driving analogy was like perfect? :thinkingemoji:
Old 07-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Powa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Afterlife of Mithaniel Marr had many folks who had top end gear, most considered BiS even though there was not a specific cookie cutter idea such as that acronym. We did however have an endless supply of raiders which generated enormous amounts of DKP for the extremely hardcore within our core group. When we created the guild we also created the DKP system to enrich the success of raids and attendance while also increasing the gear progression. I can think of a number of people who had top tier gear, considered BiS for that time. Aftathott - Bard, Hobben - Rogue, Jenamdar - Shaman, Icks and myself (Supa) - SK, Greycloud and Waihung - Warrior. These are just some few examples of individuals who had the end game items. I would say from classic up until after PoTime our guild farmed everything end game regularly until the next new content came out, and even then we farmed anything older which still provided upgrades or purpose.
There is a big difference between "high end items" and best in slot items. There just weren't enough clears before the subsequent expansions released to generate many BiS items on live servers. Of course, there are some exceptions...but its very rare, almost non-existent compared to the amount of BiS items that have dropped on p99.

In a top end guild that monopolized the top items you could MAYBE generate 1-2 people per guild if the BiS items dropped at all and went to the same people. If there were two guilds clearing top content you would have had to get twice as lucky...etc.

I'm not saying that the folks you quoted didn't have best in slot gear (if you say they did then I believe you), but it would have been extremely rare on the large of the game before the PoP expansion. During and after PoP with the use of instances you have the rapid multiplication of high-end dungeon clears per server per expansion...increasing the chances significantly.

This doesn't even take into account that the sleeper was awoken on some servers and that AoW was barely cleared on live during Velious era --- both of which drop BiS gear for some classes.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:09 PM
Sarnak

Forgive me for being not in the know but what is full BiS lol
Closed Thread