Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 05:04 PM
Kobold

Default Low Level Questions on Courtesy

When I'm running towards someone and they're running towards me (does anyone walk in EQ?), should I veer to my right or to my left, or should I just run right through them for a moment of nerd oneness?

What is the point of stealth buffs? My low level necro (level 11) was exploring the Warrens (it's been years since I've been there) learning the ropes on solo dungeon crawling when out of the blue, no hello, no conversation or greeting whatsoever, a well-meaning druid cast some level 50 buffs on me. Suddenly, I had a thorny shield and some other buffs and what was once a challenging area (for my level) of the dungeon was trivialized. I clicked off the god-mode buffs but then he proceeded to buff me again still without saying a word. It was actually quite disruptive. I've found these stealth buffs to be the oddest and even the creepiest thing about low level zones.
Last edited by Arakash; 08-03-2019 at 05:10 PM..
Old 08-03-2019, 05:27 PM
Kobold

Really? Whining about receiving buffs? Maybe you need to find a single player game.

Or better yet, app to ALS.....You'd fit right in........

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

--Oscar Wilde
Old 08-03-2019, 05:44 PM
Sarnak

You should definitely consider joining the ALS guild.

Also: it's not considered rude in the p99 community for a higher level player to cast unsolicited buffs on lower level players. In fact, most normal people in your position would have sent a tell to the druid thanking him or her. If you didn't want buffs, you were free to tell the druid thanks but no thanks?
Old 08-03-2019, 05:51 PM
Kobold

This post must be a troll. No actual human is so poorly raised as to be angered by unsolicited kindness from a stranger right?
Old 08-03-2019, 05:58 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You should definitely consider joining the ALS guild.

Also: it's not considered rude in the p99 community for a higher level player to cast unsolicited buffs on lower level players.
Ah thanks, that's what I was wondering about. The stealth part rather than the buffs. I wasn't trying to be ungrateful. I just wondered about the lack of communication mostly.

I get trying to lend a hand, but it really does change the game for untwinked low levels with such powerful buffs. It's really two different games. I guess it's just expected that without an ALS tag most lowbies are trying to blow through low level content.
Last edited by Arakash; 08-03-2019 at 06:06 PM..
Old 08-03-2019, 08:30 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfcell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This post must be a troll. No actual human is so poorly raised as to be angered by unsolicited kindness from a stranger right?
This is p99, please remember that we're populated by the dregs of humanity.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:35 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I'm running towards someone and they're running towards me (does anyone walk in EQ?), should I veer to my right or to my left, or should I just run right through them for a moment of nerd oneness?
Nobody really cares. Nobody really RP walks, if you see someone walking its usually due to encumbrance.

Quote:
What is the point of stealth buffs? My low level necro (level 11) was exploring the Warrens (it's been years since I've been there) learning the ropes on solo dungeon crawling when out of the blue, no hello, no conversation or greeting whatsoever, a well-meaning druid cast some level 50 buffs on me. Suddenly, I had a thorny shield and some other buffs and what was once a challenging area (for my level) of the dungeon was trivialized. I clicked off the god-mode buffs but then he proceeded to buff me again still without saying a word.
We buff you to be nice, as you say low levels can be painful and generally people want them. Buffs in EQ make a huge difference, an aspect that isn't in most MMOs these days. If you don't want them click them off, we have no way of telling. Most people 1) just want to be nice and 2) don't particularly want to spark a real conversation. Say thanks/thanks but no thanks and move on.

Quote:
It was actually quite disruptive. I've found these stealth buffs to be the oddest and even the creepiest thing about low level zones.
This is the oddest and most perplexing take I've seen in a while. Maybe on par with people who get annoyed with ALS rules, but somehow weirder.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:42 AM
Planar Protector

Try thinking of it from the other side: you're going through a zone on your druid and you see another player progressing. You can cast one or more buffs on them, which will assist them and speed up their progress, as well as serve as a little gesture of goodwill. You know most players prefer buffs; and you know that players who wish to play without high-level buffs can simply click them off. Would you ask for permission to buff them (which 99% of the time will be met with "yes, please, thank you") or would you just start casting and go about your EQ session?

In short, just click off buffs. But I betcha later on, as the leveling slows down, you'll be glad when you have a little extra HP or runspeed.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:33 AM
Planar Protector

Bitching about powergaming is very classic tbf. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Monday, June 28, 1999 9:39:28 PM

Thanks for your submissions to the EQ Glossary. Normally, I prefer to
receive these privately, but since you asked publically (and since a few
others have asked):

re: Mules/Twinking: During Beta, Muling and Twinking were not approved (as
I understand it). Since no statement ever came out changing that status, I
naturally assumed that it was still the same when I began playing. A GM I
questioned about it shortly after I started confirmed it for me (I wasn't
playing during Beta, just reading the boards), however, since then, several
people have commented that it is not true. Mules and Twinking, while not
specifically approved, will not get the character(s) deleted. Well,
basically, I left the comments in the Glossary in the vain hope that some
newbies might be too afraid to try it, thinking their characters might be
deleted. Since it now appears that nothing will halt, or even slow the
onslaught of powergaming, I have decided to delete the references. It is
apparent that Verant not only approves of powergaming, they thoroughly
encourage it, leaving the slower or more roleplaying among us to twiddle
our thumbs in the dust.

*sighing*
Talies the Wanderer

(for more definitions, see the EverQuest Glossary:
http://amtgard.pinkpig.com/bards/eqglossary.htm)
https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/grou.../messages/2551
Old 08-04-2019, 05:59 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bitching about powergaming is very classic tbf. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/grou.../messages/2551
Thank you for that history lesson [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]