Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Kobold

Default Pseudo item loot and durability loss

Just playing with ideas. Please be gentle with me.

This might be too much work for the devs but that's not for me to decide so whatever.

All items have a durability. Let's say 20 points for each item. Every time you are killed by another player (not by mobs) all of the items you have equipped or in inventory lose one point of durability. Durability points can not be regained by repairing. Once lost they are gone forever. When durability reaches zero the item is destroyed.

Ok, when you kill someone you get a random item they have equipped or in inventory. However...you don't actually take their item, you get a copy of it. This copy will be exactly the same including the current durability points of their item.

So Fred kills Bob. Bob has all ringmail and a PGT and a Cracked Darkwood Shield. His items all lose 1 point durability so they all drop to 19d. Fred gets a copy of a randomly selected item from Bob. Let's say the Pgt. So Fred gets a PGT with 19d.

Bob comes back and kills Fred later. All of Freds items lose 1d. Dropping Freds PGT to 18d. Bob gets a bronze helm with 10d as loot.

And so on.

The random selection chooses by slot even if the slot is empty. So if a person is half naked the killer might get nothing if the loot system randomly selects one of their empty slots.

Players wouldn't farm their friends for copy loot because of the durability loss their items take for each kill. The durability would eventually cause items to poof which would help prevent item bloat but you would see it coming so it wouldn't be such a shock when you lose something that way. You could try to protect your very best items when they get low on durability simply by not PvPing with them.

Thoughts?

Edited with an amended version of the idea:

It did occur to me, however, that there is a much simpler way to do it that would ensure there wouldn't be a glut of copycat items floating around.

Original items looted from mobs have, say, 10 durability. Let's use a helm as an example. Ok, someone kills you, the loot system selects your helm. Your helm loses 1 point of durability. A copycat helm is created for the person who killed you which only has 1 point of durability. Copies cannot themselves be copied. Copies will lose their one point (and be destroyed) if you die for any reason, killed by another player or a mob.

So ten, basically temporary helms, could be created from the original. The last time would destroy the original.

This gives those hard to obtain original items a little security buffer before you lose them. Basically you have to lose them 10 times before they are actually gone. It lets the killer get something as a reward but it's a zero sum game so it can't create a huge quantity of copycat items.
Last edited by One Tin Soldier; 11-18-2013 at 04:15 PM..
Old 11-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

I just can't see a non exploitable situation where you're creating a duplicate item.

I think one thing you mentioned has some merit, and that is random selection of looted item rather than the victor choosing one. This would certainly add some fear/excitement to the mix...
Old 11-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kergan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just can't see a non exploitable situation where you're creating a duplicate item.

I think one thing you mentioned has some merit, and that is random selection of looted item rather than the victor choosing one. This would certainly add some fear/excitement to the mix...
see the YT and randomized item loot thread http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...=128621&page=2
Old 11-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Planar Protector

Kids is reverse trolling. Tune called it out a lot of clowns out there doing this now. Getting kind of toxic.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kergan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I don't think this could be exploited. Suggest how you would abuse it so I can know what you're thinking. I don't see how it could be right now.

Say I had a manastone and you wanted a copy. You have an alt on an opposing team. We meet somewhere so you can kill me to get a copy.

Ok, but the problem is that the loot selection is random so you might not get a copy of the manastone. In fact, the odds are against it. But by letting you kill me my manastone and all my other items will lose a durability point. Am I really going to want to agree to do that to give you a slim chance at getting a copy of the manastone?

I bank all items except the one you want a copy of but remember I said the loot system can select empty slots to copy. Banking my other stuff saves it's durability but still doesn't ensure that you will get a copy of the manastone. And still, everytime I let you kill me to try to get a copy of it, my original loses a point of durability. Am I really going to risk that?
Old 11-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassador [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kids is reverse trolling. Tune called it out a lot of clowns out there doing this now. Getting kind of toxic.
No I'm not. Like I said I'm just playing with ideas.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowlife [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
see the YT and randomized item loot thread http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...=128621&page=2
I read that thread just before I posted this.

The point of my suggestion is that it softens the blow of losing items a little by making it a gradual thing. You watch the durability of your stuff dropping bit by bit each time you are killed instead of suddenly <BAM> out of the blue you lose something.

Someone doesn't kill you and take your item. They kill you and damage your stuff. But they get something out of it in the form of a copy item.

Well, maybe to prevent too much crazy copy loot proliferating the copied items should have half the durability of the original but not less than 1 point of durability. So if the original has 18d the copy will have 9d. If someone got a copy of that copy it would start with just 4d.

Ok so eventually there would be people running around with a bunch of items with low durability. And they might lose several items if they have several things with just 1d left and they get killed. But on the other hand they didn't put much work into getting those items so it's not a big deal really.
Last edited by One Tin Soldier; 11-18-2013 at 01:23 PM..
Old 11-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Fire Giant

removing a bandaid slowly is not less irritating than just ripping the fucker off.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:25 PM
VIP / Contributor

Actually kinda reminds me of capital requirements impact how banks lend money - ie impacts their ability to create it out of thin air.

Given your proposed system if a guild gets a CoF with 20 points, that could theoretically translate into up to 1,048,576 CoFs with 1 durability point.

Could say a lot more, but will just leave it at the fact that a lot of these ideas getting kicked around don't remind me much of EQ.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecta [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually kinda reminds me of capital requirements impact how banks lend money - ie impacts their ability to create it out of thin air.

Given your proposed system if a guild gets a CoF with 20 points, that could theoretically translate into up to 1,048,576 CoFs with 1 durability point.

Could say a lot more, but will just leave it at the fact that a lot of these ideas getting kicked around don't remind me much of EQ.
pras. now go view my thread.
Closed Thread