Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Kobold

Default Why I can never stick with EQ

I love EQ but the same thing always happens to me. It happened with my first main character back in the day and it happened with all the alts I made later and it happened here on the blue p99 server.

I start out on a fresh server with a healthy population and I love it. I have a blast in the low levels. I get to the mid levels and it's still great fun. I love the grouping. I enjoy doing a worthwhile quest here and there. I love grouping up with people to venture into the depths of some dungeon to try to get some nice equipment upgrade.

It's great. That's the EQ I love and still want to play.

But here's my problem; for me EQ essentially has no end-game. The time commitment required for raiding is too much for me. It was back in the old days on the live servers because I was already an adult back then and it's only gotten more difficult for me over the years.

It's just too much and, frankly, what little raiding I have done I haven't enjoyed. So, as I said, the end-game in EQ basically doesn't exist for me. And therein lies my problem.

There are no end-game challenges for me. There is nothing to do once I hit max level and I know it. Because of this, the closer I get to max level the less motivated I am to continue. When I get to the point at which I feel max-level is within my reach I just lose all interest in going on. Because max-level really is the end for me all I'm doing is grinding out those last few levels untill my character dies for lack of anything to do and it seems pointless so....I just lose interest and stop.

At that point, back on the live servers, I might create and alt if the low level population was healthy enough on my server. Because I played during the time when they were still adding new servers it was more likely that I would move to a fresh server and start over there. Fresh servers full of un-twinked low levels kept me going for years longer on the live servers than I otherwise would have played.

So, I'm not sure what the point of this post is. I guess I just felt the need to play my tiny violin. This is something which has always depressed me. I wish there was some way to sustain the feel of the low/mid level game for much longer. I wish the "end-game" felt more like the gameplay of the rest of the game somehow. I'm not actually asking for any changes I'm just wishing.

I guess I'll wrap this up because it's already turned out to be a longer post than I originally intended. Anyway, there it is, that's my big problem with EQ.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Sarnak

Nothing really wrong with that.

As long as you have fun for a while, it was worth playing.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Sarnak

The end game is what you make of it imo, I played a druid (only class i played never even created anything else) 99-04, was in a high end raiding guild, and had a blast i was like 14 years old in 99 and EQ was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Than i discovered DAoC in 02, my attention span of EQ fell off and i played DAoC from 02 to probably 09ish, i played wow from 04 to '10 to feed my pve addiction.

So I would consider myself MMO experienced (for the most part) and every MMO i ever played (in a PvE standpoint) i ALWAYS compared to EQ. Its the little things that make you love this game, and stay with it. For me its not the end game, because from what ive seen on this server, the expansions dont come out fast enough and people just RAPE high end content, like 2mins to down a VP boss... which is stupid. But i love the many class's the thousands of spells, different lore, the type of community, and the adventure of the game. It feels a lot more rewarding discovering things in EQ than it does just flying over areas or using a mount to dodge mobs in wow.

I guess theres no point to mine either, just saying, as i agree, the raid content is not as hyped up as it used to be (i remember when doing naggy was HUGE you would ragequit over losing a spot, now its meh) but once you hit end level, and you have a good gang of people to hang with, i still love helping the community, goofing around (god there is so much to do in that aspect) and leveling alts...

to each their own, either way safe travels =)
Old 01-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vondra [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nothing really wrong with that.

As long as you have fun for a while, it was worth playing.
Yes, it was fun while it lasted so it was worth doing. I tried doing it again on the p99 red server but the population just isn't high enough to make it fun.

Oh well. Eq is always such a bittersweet experience for me. I love it so much but it never lasts long enough.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Planar Protector

the problem (as i view it) is either with the mmo genre or your tastes

I know because ive had the same thoughts myself.. was going to give up on the mmo genre all together but decided to give eq progression server a last shot before i migrated here.

End game doesn't really make a MMO good.... look at WoW as they pump out a ton of content all the time..

challenging end game is what makes a mmo endgame good.... slower content release but with more polish and challenge is what i look for in games.

mmo these days make me ready to give up on the genre entirely... zerg the only strategy in most games.. is so retarded.

but yah.. if you not feeling the genre atm.. might be best to just play other game for a bit maybe check back in a year or two..

single player rpg's have moved leaps and bounds ahead of mmorpg's these days imo.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Planar Protector

There isn't a way around this unless there is infinite content. The enjoyment lies within the journey not the destination. I agree with you on it becoming less enjoyable. I start off with a high when I first create my character, can't wait to get off work and play, visions of being all powerful. Then it all comes to a crashing halt when you do become all powerful and sit at your mountain top looking down with no where left to climb.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqravenprince [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There isn't a way around this unless there is infinite content. The enjoyment lies within the journey not the destination. I agree with you on it becoming less enjoyable. I start off with a high when I first create my character, can't wait to get off work and play, visions of being all powerful. Then it all comes to a crashing halt when you do become all powerful and sit at your mountain top looking down with no where left to climb.
Most fun ive had in mmo endgame was in ffxi lol

they had a monster that wasn't defeated for like 8 years.. because even with 100's of fully raid geared people dude wasn't able to be beaten..

but it made people always try out new strategies and different techniques... you'd be amazed how much thought people can put into seemingly impossible fights.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flunklesnarkin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most fun ive had in mmo endgame was in ffxi lol

they had a monster that wasn't defeated for like 8 years.. because even with 100's of fully raid geared people dude wasn't able to be beaten..

but it made people always try out new strategies and different techniques... you'd be amazed how much thought people can put into seemingly impossible fights.
Sounds similar to Sleeper on EQ. Except there wasn't a way to repeat encounter to try new strategies.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Sarnak

i took a year break from this server because someone stole my old laptops power cord out of my car, took a 7 months break, and now im so happy to be back EQ always gets me giddy... id go gay for it. DAoC is where my heart is, EQ is where my penis is...
Old 01-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Sarnak

it s all about rythm ...
Closed Thread