Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 12:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongNpretty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Stop talking.
Hey its the guy that failed all 3 servers, welcome back.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
4. Log in and ask the guild if the mob has spawned yet. If it hasn't, sock the mob for howerver long you can, lets say 3 hours from 6pm to 9pm.

5. On a 16 hour window, even a 3 hour sock gives you a 20% chance of seeing the mob spawn while you are online. If you can do these steps for 5 weeks in a row, statistically speaking you should be around for at least one of the spawns.

6. This strategy only needs you to spend 3 hours a week during a time of year where the spawn windoe aligns with your schedule. This is very casual, and should be doable by most players.
So all a person needs to do is spend ~15 hours (average) staring at walls, spread over the course of multiple days, in order to engage in a 5 minute raid encounter?

If that's your notion of either fun or time well spent, you have vastly different notions of such things than I have. The above list strikes me as completely asinine and so unreasonable as to defy all attempts at rationalizing it.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So all a person needs to do is spend ~15 hours (average) staring at walls, spread over the course of multiple days, in order to engage in a 5 minute raid encounter?

If that's your notion of either fun or time well spent, you have vastly different notions of such things than I have. The above list strikes me as completely asinine and so unreasonable as to defy all attempts at rationalizing it.
I am not sure how you read "spend 15 hours staring at walls" from that post. Please re-read it before commenting[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

In the comment itself it says "This strategy only needs you to spend 3 hours a week during a time of year where the spawn windoe aligns with your schedule."
Old 01-11-2022, 05:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am not sure how you read "spend 15 hours staring at walls" from that post. Please re-read it before commenting[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

In the portion of the post you quoted it says "This strategy only needs you to spend 3 hours a week during a time of year where the spawn window aligns with your schedule." I am not sure how 3 hours = 15 hours.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:13 PM
Planar Protector

I think you glossed over the part where I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
spread over the course of multiple days
I know you weren't saying, "Do it all at once." That's what the other poster earlier in the thread said, but not me. My point, rather, is that even if you can break up the wall-staring into smaller chunks, the wall-staring-to-actual-fun ratio is so out of whack that I don't think "absurd" is a strong enough word to describe it.

Danth
Old 01-11-2022, 05:16 PM
Planar Protector

If you are trying to say "wasting 15 hours over 5 weeks is also too much for raiding", I am not sure what I can say to that. Everquest is a slow game, where you are often waiting around. Every time you need to take a meditation break, you are "staring at a wall" for x minutes to recover. Depending on how often you play P99, you can easily add that up to 3 hours a week. If you do not like that style of game, Everquest isn't for you.

If you are not a tracker, you don't need to actually watch your screen 100% of the time. If you are willing to enable batphones on your phone or something, you don't need to spend ANY time watching the screen. Just wait for the batphone[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Someone was saying they didn't want to use batphones, so if that is the case then yeah you will have to somewhat pay attention to your game. But honestly it isn't that bad, you can watch a show while waiting, you don't have to watch the screen every second.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:22 PM
Planar Protector

You're normalizing deviance. P1999's raid scene and ruleset is a broken trainwreck and I highlighted your post because it demonstrates how unbelievable it has become. Staring at walls for hours on end, or tabbing out and not playing a game for hours on end, just so you can have a 5 minute encounter here or there is not ordinary or normal behavior.

I take a different approach and stay out of the raid scene. I enjoy the other 99% of the game just fine.

If a video game guild wants me real life contact info, it can piss off.

Danth
Old 01-11-2022, 05:27 PM
Planar Protector

Old 01-11-2022, 05:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
You're normalizing deviance. P1999's raid scene and ruleset is a broken trainwreck and I highlighted your post because it demonstrates how unbelievable it has become. Staring at walls for hours on end, or tabbing out and not playing a game for hours on end, just so you can have a 5 minute encounter here or there is not ordinary or normal behavior.

I take a different approach and stay out of the raid scene. I enjoy the other 99% of the game just fine.

If a video game guild wants me real life contact info, it can piss off.

Danth
And I respect your opinion that you do not want to be bothered with the Everquest raid scene. I am not claiming it is for everyone. I was simply trying to help OP find a way to experience the raid content without a large time commitment. It is 100% possible right now.

But a lot of people (myself included) do enjoy the raiding scene, and honestly P99 is one of the few places that still offer some measure of guild to guild competition when raiding. This is because it is almost impossible these days to find non-instanced raiding.

As for batphones, you do not need to give out your RL information. Vanquish, for example, uses Discord, which means you can just watch your Discord notifications. Not all batphones require your real phone number to be part of the equation.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:31 PM
Planar Protector

Even in Aftermath I didn't give out my real phone number to the guild. Their batphone was twitter if I remember correctly. You just subscribed to that specific twitter account to receive the notification.