Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 12:02 AM
Kobold

Default How did you first hear or get started on everquest?

How did you first hear or get started on everquest?
Old 03-07-2016, 12:11 AM
Planar Protector

Well, as an innocent young 12-year-old, I was walking through the store game section when the Ruins of Kunark art caught my eye because there was a LIZARD on it and I loved LIZARDS and it looked like a DRAGON too and I happened to love DRAGONS EVEN MORE than I loved lizards (PS I still love both), so my parents got it for me. (My mom read the bit on the back mentioning that you'd never see your loved ones again after giving them this game and sighed.)

Little did I know that it would be a long time before I saw any dragons in game. I met a lot of cool people, though!

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 03-07-2016, 12:14 AM
Planar Protector

First hear of EQ? Back when I was playing UO while EQ was in development. Played both. Actually didn't stop playing UO up until a few years ago (though years on the UO emu just like the EQ emu). Still have yet to stop EQ. I take breaks though sometimes, few months at a time, not often though. But yeah, back in UO. We used to talk about all the new mmo's coming out early on, like all six of them hehe. Was working full time too at the time with tons of OT, played mmo's in my off time. I wish I had played DAoC too, but just didn't have the time. But I tried the other few mmo's that were around at the time. Played MUD's before mmo's... when they started being called "mmo's" anyway.
Last edited by Daywolf; 03-07-2016 at 12:21 AM..
Old 03-07-2016, 12:16 AM
Planar Protector

Went to a friend I played DnD with's house. He showed me a game him and his neighbour played. Saw it in stores when kunark was released and snapped it up.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:59 AM
Aviak

Back in ye olden times of yore, I was convinced by a friend to play this new game called UO for a couple nights. I enjoyed the single player games when I was a kid and naively believed the MMO was similar. I mined for hours to get ore to make a set of basic armor & weapons. When I got back to town some random guy used pick pocketing to steal the ore and put a bomb in my bag which detonated in a crowd instantly killing me and severely maiming/killing random players in a fairly large radius. When I came back it was to the sight of my body being looted by random people and realized I had maximum bad "virtue" and as the guards closed in and I discovered I was now KoS basically everywhere. Uninstalled.

UO sold me and several friends on trying EQ around this same time about a month or so after it released. Generally friendly atmosphere, importance of your reputation/willingness to cooperate to advance and the far more interesting world to explore kept me playing pretty consistently through Planes of Power. I've tried other MMORPGs since that are far less time demanding, but none seem to have anything like the community I remember from early EQ.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Went to a friend I played DnD with's house. He showed me a game him and his neighbour played. Saw it in stores when kunark was released and snapped it up.
got introduced by a D&D friend too [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-07-2016, 01:34 AM
Banned

Sweet Thread! I was just about to start summer and thought I should play a game because school was over and I hadn't in a while. I bought a games magazine to see what was new and there was this big two page advert and it said it came out the next day. So I took that as a sign and picked it up for the PC, something I didnt even have. So I asked a friend if we could try it and basically spent the next 7 days taking turns 24 hours a day haha. Was the best times.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:06 AM
Kobold

My parents had a subscription to Time Magazine, and I read this:

http://content.time.com/time/magazin...,25082,00.html

My computer was terrible, I was terrible, it was joyous.

When I went to Electronics Boutique at the mall to pick up a copy, the clerk told me to, "say goodbye to your life."

I regret nothing!
Last edited by Lifebar; 03-07-2016 at 02:08 AM..
Old 03-07-2016, 02:28 AM
Banned

I seen some elf titties on a box and my 13 year old self was on board.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:00 AM
Kobold

all really great stories my aunt played it back in 1999 as well as I did I was a 11 year old kid my first toon was wood elf ranger named tango and when I started the game and logged on I asked where the ranger guild was and someone said over there and I went over there fell off the bridge and was very dissapointed and camped and logged my ranger out and deleted him still to this day I hate the woodelf city
Closed Thread