Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Excuse me. Killing someone and sending them on a corpse run is a grief mechanic. Killing someone and looting their items is a grief mechanic. Training someone is a grief mechanic

PVP is fundamentally (or at least on a very significant level) about causing grief to another person IRL through in game actions. It's fueled by schadenfreude in MMOs in a way you don't see in other competitive games. Not saying that's a bad thing. It's usually pretty funny. This is a view point coming a griefer.
Nah historically grieving did not mean following the accepted rules of pvp such as killing others and looting them

Griefing typically means going above and beyond to ruin someone’s gameplays experience. An example would be back in the day on pvp servers on vanilla WoW if someone really pissed me off I would sit on top of their body killing them over and over again while my guildmate was planted at the spirit healer (alternative place they could rez at) to kill them over and over again. The goal is eventually they just stop trying to rez and log off. That’s how you know you ruined your gameplay experience

I only did that a few times in my lifetime tho, normally I prefer fair pvp
Old 11-19-2021, 01:44 PM
Planar Protector

I think you may arguing from a sportsmanship perspective (we all agreed to these rules GG) vs my preferred sociopathic RPG experience (these rules allow me to harm you). I conflate the two because they're very hard to separate and there's going to be elements of both in anyone who can tolerate a PVP MMO. It's like... There's rules everyone agrees to, but their reason for opting into that ruleset are more way interesting.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never intentionally kill anyone. The only times I really go for the killshot is when I'm outnumber and there's really no way out.

Usually if its a 1v1 honor duel or something I just joust until they win or I get them low enough they will concede, in that case I help bandage them up and either help them exp or go on their way.

Not everyone that pvps is a complete monster.
Lol. That's so fucking lame. This guy wouldn't 1v1 my friend because he was buffed and a strong PVP class vs knights. I was a dark elf assassin dagger type with very low stun resistance, so the knight thought he had an easy fight when I challenged him after he told me to just sit there and look pretty. I was fully buffed and smoked him in a few seconds 1v1 with my friends watching. Honor was always flexible concept for my rogues.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:43 PM
Banned

What can I say. I'm all bark. No bite. And a softy. I don't like deliberately toying with people too much either. Though I've been known to engage in their mind games when posting.

Whats important about sportsmanship for me is that I'm doing it. If I can't be bothered to fight someone or share or help them or w/e I'll just /q. And play an alt. I've left my character logged in before so it could be piñata 'd before too.

I try not to be too judgey anymore if people want to race to a mob or hunt me down on their alts anymore. That's how I try to approach every situation anyway because that's how I want to be. Can't say I always FEEL like it. Most of the time. It's nice to see other people win. Provide a challenge or friendship. Or at least a speedbump. That's pvp and pve for me.

My ranger on green has spent all week at lvl 10. If I wanted, I could have turned off pvp. Shoved my gnoll teeth into some npc. Bought a combine longsword. Spent 24 hrs grinding GLS and made lvl 25 by now.

I rather enjoyed meeting all the different folks hanging out around bb though.

Fought a mage today.

They were going to win. A bear agroed their pet though, and they had to run. I left the fight with like 1% hp and followed Holly Windstalker to safety at the jaggedpine entrance. Tbh. They could probably have resummoned snipes me and ran. They let me live this time though. We chatted a bit and I rambled about how I would have beaten their pet if I had bothered to upgrade my sword from rusty.

They actually are doing this challenge before I even did the pvp thing. So that's a pretty cool synchronicity. They want to level with no outside help and no twinking or items from outside of their group. I thought that was cool. And I waxxed nostalgiac for my red99 mage I'll probably never play again. Who knows though?
Old 11-20-2021, 11:10 AM
Planar Protector

Mala not malo
Old 11-20-2021, 05:05 PM
Fire Giant

That Mage epic pet tho is much better than any necro pet

Zekay 60 Torpor Shaman - <Guild>
Old 11-20-2021, 11:08 PM
Banned

Necros are the best class to play and have the most diverse abilities.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:47 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've played Mage to 60 after being a Necro fanboy and you're just wrong. Mage sucks ass compared to Necro in basically every way other than COTH.

I think Verant's mistake was that they had a "class advocate" or some kind of bullshit like that for each class and these people ended up in product meetings basically yelling about how their class needed more or less stuff. Each class ended up as it did solely based on this one person's ability to convince others within Verant. Probably Joe Cool, Necro advocate, was fucking the product manager and Neckbeard Ned, Mage advocate, was constantly talked over in meetings or was too dumb to even understand how underpowered their class was.

Not only that but I bet Necro which was insanely overpowered and got nerfed in classic then ended up with the ability to say "we got nerfed, what are we going to give Necro players to make them feel better?" And Mages it was more like, "Everything looks good. Fuck em."

This also explains why Ranger was always such a horrible joke. The advocate was probably Brad himself, Aradune, and he never even played EQ and was just snorting coke and nerfing anything he didn't like that was being reported to him as allowing players to progress too quickly thus upsetting his Sony bosses. Ranger sucks ass, can't do shit? Sounds fucking great, they'll be paying their subscription fees forever. What?!?! Necros are soloing in PoF? Damn it they'll be bored in a couple weeks and cancel, fucking nerf that shit.
This 100%, and to top it off p1999 has the exact same problems.

Can't even chain pets on p1999 since agro doesn't get transferred properly.

Nothing gets done, there just aren't enough people / the right people lobbying.

Its like the 51+ pets requiring an extra level to mem them. They had no problem nerfing mage pets dps, while leaving this broken from pretty much green launch until literally yesterday.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpcake2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This 100%, and to top it off p1999 has the exact same problems.

Can't even chain pets on p1999 since agro doesn't get transferred properly.

Nothing gets done, there just aren't enough people / the right people lobbying.

Its like the 51+ pets requiring an extra level to mem them. They had no problem nerfing mage pets dps, while leaving this broken from pretty much green launch until literally yesterday.
Maybe it's not some conspiracy of the devs to screw your class over?

Maybe it has something to do with volunteer players (like yourself) taking time out of their day to find evidence on old websites about how classic EQ works, and then submitting it to the devs, who then (when time allows, as this is 100% a volunteer exercise for them) fixes it.

And if I'm right about the above ... all you have to do is stop complaining, and start researching, to fix things [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:50 PM
Banned

ppl forget how ez mage is compared to necro

its one of the simplest classes to play and a mage/cleric duo is insanely powerful with just like 4 buttons between them
Closed Thread