Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 10:33 AM
Orc

Default Impressions of Erudite SK and Twink Options

Hey, Team,

For weeks I've been dead set on rolling an Iksar SK. I want to make an SK for leveling, soloing, and grouping. I don't aim to raid and definitely not for main tanking. This is an alt for in between raiding on my main. This class looks like so much fun!

I pored over this forum looking at the pros and cons and really thought the Ikky regen was too good to pass up. But at the character creation screen I just couldn't do it.

I decided to go with an Erudite for a number of reasons and here is why:

1) Vanity. I don't see too many Erudite SK's around the server. While DE's are definitely sick, they are getting more popular. My best grouping buddy mains one. I looked at pictures of Erudite SK's with the cultural armor plus the Shield of the Stalwart Seas and compared them to Ikkys who in my opinion all look the same. Erudite won by a long shot. And I don't want to play troll or ogre. I think they look stupid as hell most of the time.

2) Lore. I've been spending a ton of time in Paineel and the Hole and I'm enchanted by the lore of this race and class. The scene of Jaeil the Wretched sitting by the pond deep in the Hole has such a nostalgic flavor. I'm going to role as a scorned and lonely heretic.

3) Armor. I want to use the clickies and have easy access to plate mail. I think they really matter to levelling this character and for the overall fun of the class.

4) Access to cities. Erudites have a major quality of life advantage over all other SK's. They can access far more cities than other races. (Question: are Erudite SK's welcome in Neriak? My thought would be no, but worth asking.)

5) Intelligence. I think SK's should lean into the fact they aren't warriors. They will not likely be the min/max choice for a main raid tank. So I'm happy to double down on spellcasting for soloing and setting myself apart. I also love the flavor of a dignified, intelligent dark knight.

Here is the link to my Magelo character sheet. I semi-twinked this toon with stuff I had lying around. Turns out a lot of my spare gear was really good for a newbie SK.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Neije

I'm interested to hear from you what you think about my mindset and goals. Did I do it the way you would have? What would you have done differently? Would you have went full stam with my starting stats?

Also take a look at my gimpy twink gear. I've never actually twinked a toon with the goal of soloing/duoing through the levels quickly. What do you think the most important additions to my newbie would be? Jade Mace? Something else? I'm willing to spend probably 1K more on his gear to make leveling easy and quick.

I also welcome any other thoughts! Thanks!
Old 09-21-2018, 10:59 AM
Planar Protector

One of the nice things about the velious sentinel plate suits is it is absolutely loaded with +int and +MR. Especially for low levels where the returns on stamina aren’t that great, it’s a big boon to the other lower int sk races. Even though you already have high int, look into it. AC is decent and you can usually grab a full visible (matching) set for as low as 1-1.5k.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Sentient_Armor

All in all I like your plan.

One thing I’d encourage you to focus on is finding and prioritizing str gear for the low levels. Having low str on a plate class is a huge quality of life hassle for the low levels.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 09-21-2018, 11:20 AM
Orc

Troxx, excellent suggestions! I remember encountering the Sentient armor and thinking it would be nice for a SK on a budget. And I think this would be easy for me to farm while I'm farming gems in Wakening Lands. I won't even have to spend cash on it!

I'm planning on buying more STR focused jewelry. I actually think I have a couple Sapphire Electrum Earrings lying around, too. Maybe i'm better off with those than with the Velium Bloodstone ears.

Keep the suggestions coming!
Old 09-21-2018, 12:17 PM
Planar Protector

Yo man. I also made an SK twink recently(ogre, fsi and look badass as SK). Id suggest to not place too much importance on armor pieces as u prolly looking forward to thurgadin quest armor. If not aim for HP and Ac on armor.
Highly advice u to get a fast 1 hander for earlier lvls, jade mace is perfekt for that. Str will make ur SK pound on things harder too, but hp and ac trumps it since u gonna tank.
CoS seems to go up in price nowadays aswell, get that when u can before they spike it even more?
Yeah get hp jewelry not str
Old 09-21-2018, 12:44 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggens [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yo man. I also made an SK twink recently(ogre, fsi and look badass as SK). Id suggest to not place too much importance on armor pieces as u prolly looking forward to thurgadin quest armor. If not aim for HP and Ac on armor.
Highly advice u to get a fast 1 hander for earlier lvls, jade mace is perfekt for that. Str will make ur SK pound on things harder too, but hp and ac trumps it since u gonna tank.
CoS seems to go up in price nowadays aswell, get that when u can before they spike it even more?
Yeah get hp jewelry not str
Great thoughts. Shit, I didn't realize that there were two versions of CoS. It seems super vital for an SK especially while pulling. Definitely not looking forward to paying 25k for one! I don't even currently spend that on my main. Hmph.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeojones1979 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Great thoughts. Shit, I didn't realize that there were two versions of CoS. It seems super vital for an SK especially while pulling. Definitely not looking forward to paying 25k for one! I don't even currently spend that on my main. Hmph.
Not too useful for pulling. It got caught up in the monk sneak nerf awhile back (deliberately or not, I don't know) and now it's mostly a (very nice) quality of life item. iIt'll be on your buy list if you plan to play the Shadow Knight long-term, but in the here-and-now you can live without it without suffering too much.

Danth
Old 09-21-2018, 10:56 PM
Planar Protector

I have an ERU Sk in the low 30's. It's a bit rougher early on as mentioned since carrying stuff is more difficult and you do a bit less dmg than a fatty. Slam is really nice for reverse kiting as you can momentarily stun the NPC for less chasing.

Not shrinking is pretty cool and fashioquest is on point. Another consideration might be a set of Crusty. I did that and a Icepaw Skull Helm (looks like black chain) and got my STR to like 140'ish. That will hold you at least until 50 if on a budget. It doesn't look as good as sentient but str and stam goes well with then naturally high ERU intel.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:00 AM
Fire Giant

Shield of the Stalwart Seas is unfortunately paladin only
Old 09-24-2018, 11:57 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have an ERU Sk in the low 30's. It's a bit rougher early on as mentioned since carrying stuff is more difficult and you do a bit less dmg than a fatty. Slam is really nice for reverse kiting as you can momentarily stun the NPC for less chasing.

Not shrinking is pretty cool and fashioquest is on point. Another consideration might be a set of Crusty. I did that and a Icepaw Skull Helm (looks like black chain) and got my STR to like 140'ish. That will hold you at least until 50 if on a budget. It doesn't look as good as sentient but str and stam goes well with then naturally high ERU intel.
Great points. I just picked up a Crusty shield for 50pp! I’m trying to farm some sentient armor but its slow going. It’s probably faster just to farm plat and buy individual pieces.

I’m stacking the strength right now with random items, like Sarnak Hide Mask. I think I’m around 120 STR now. With some more Crusty I’ll probably get there.

Bummer about Shield of Stalwart Seas! Is there another shield that has that same graphic for fashion quest (or even one worth wearing?)
Old 09-24-2018, 12:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeojones1979 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bummer about Shield of Stalwart Seas! Is there another shield that has that same graphic for fashion quest (or even one worth wearing?)
The same bone look can he had with:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Ashenbone_Shield
Or
https://wiki.project1999.com/Shield_of_Prexus

There are probably others as well.

Great stat shields are:
https://wiki.project1999.com/Atramentous_Shield
(Can’t recall the look)

https://wiki.project1999.com/Clay_Guardian_Shield
(Round with spike)

https://wiki.project1999.com/Sarnak_Battle_Shield
(Gold rectangle)