Old 02-10-2018, 04:18 PM
Banned

this is such a huge day

so proud of everyone who has won this enormosu victory

i'm gonna log on i think and petition the shit out of the world

GOD BLESS
Old 02-10-2018, 04:55 PM
Kobold

It was a long time coming. Thank you Baler.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by coverjudge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Great work, Baler! Not to be rude, but I'm pretty sure it's in vain...unless you're talking about a junkie or a phlebotomist. inb4 lanceless
I actually googled to make sure,. I found that vein was acceptable. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Due to it being a noun it can also mean "‘a distinctive quality of character, a strain or streak" In english proper circles you're probably far more correct in this though. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Pras the great name purge of 2018!
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer Man [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was a long time coming. Thank you Baler.
Thanks for the kind words. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by coverjudge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Works for me, hard to be mad today. Hilarious in Norrath today.
Thank You! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-10-2018, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And lets not forget Lhancelot's excellent contributions too! In fact I think I also snitched a couple of names.

/surfs coat tails.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
rofl Jimjam. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden View Post
Wow, someone actually got it right. Lhancelot gets a gold star. They are 100% set by players even though we will enforce the way Lhancelot stated above.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:44 PM
Banned

I hereby motion to make February 10th known across p99 forums as "Baler Day".

You know why!

I look forward to 2/10/2019 when I can honor the King Baler and his tireless hunting of the unlawful names.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:04 PM
Planar Protector

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hereby motion to make February 10th known across p99 forums as "Baler Day".

You know why!

I look forward to 2/10/2019 when I can honor the King Baler and his tireless hunting of the unlawful names.
You do me a great honor by posting these kind words. You played an important role in all that has unfolded today. Let us not forget the deeds Lord Skarlorn has done on this immense day of joy and entertainment!

Thank You Skarlorn! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-10-2018, 10:26 PM
Fire Giant

I'm sure to get a lot of "wow didnt read all that" responses, but I decided to do a little investigative reporting regarding the legitimacy of the name "stockmarket". Granted, all I found was circumstantial evidence, but taken as a whole I believe stockmarket has been punished unfairly.

These are two rules** I could find on the p99 naming policy that seemed applicable to this case:

"Names that contain sentences (Ikillorcs), phrases (Ontop), or two or more words that do not form descriptive compound words (Petcarbob, Diediedie and Tablechair).

Descriptive compound words are allowed in first names and are encouraged in surnames (e.g. Treehugger, Giantslayer).
Descriptive compound words (each separate part of the word and the entire word) must otherwise adhere to all other naming rules."

Key here is the determination of whether "stockmarket" is a phrase, or a descriptive compound word that describes the character. Only the first would be against the rules. A stretch to convict based only on this rule.

"Common words and phrases that would not be found in the time, place and setting of EverQuest (e.g. Switchblade, Phaser, Toaster, Cannabis)."

Interesting. A search of the p99 wiki shows that merchants regularly use the word "stock." Clearly a concept they are familiar with, it is used in many interactions. Even more damning is a search of the word "market" which gives numerous demonstrations that citizens of norrath are aware the market has incentives and disincentives and they are surprisingly sophisticated in their financial awareness. A few examples:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Kwinn%27s_Quest (proof that black markets also exist in norrath)
https://wiki.project1999.com/Odd_Items (proof that authority figures participate in the market, acknowledge its legitimacy, and are aware of its uncertainty)
https://wiki.project1999.com/The_Bread_Shipment (proof that the market changes based on location)
https://wiki.project1999.com/Rogue_Epic_Quest (Proof the market is shady and/or can be manipulated "The Circle quickly took any market opposition out of Qeynos."

Pretty strong evidence that stock markets, etc would be found in the time/place/setting of everquest and that these concepts would be normal for anyone with financial literacy. (off topic, but "switchblade" was a poor example, a gnomish rogue should be familiar with the idea of a mechanical hidden blade)

Grandfather clause:

Claiming to be in operation since 2010, "Stockmarket" has stood out in the public sphere for almost eight years, after some amount of time you would think that the statue of limitations had ended on this name. The public comment period certainly lasted long enough

Conclusion:

"Stockmarket" is not an aggressively offensive name. It seems to be within the spirit of the law, may or may not be against the letter of the law, but it certainly has a case for legitimacy and if that name is so beyond the pale as to be made an example of, then many (most?) of us have a name that would not pass those rules.

Reciprocity:

Baler has been incredibly heavy handed with his naming thread, refusing to consider any rebuttals to his position. He's a cowboy. As pointed out numerous times, Baler himself is rolling with a name that does not pass EQ muster: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baler

Baler at minimum should be shunned for causing disharmony in our community, at maximum his forums handle should be regenerated using the EQ name generator.

**There's always a catch

Above all else, you may not choose character or guild name which, in the sole and absolute discretion of the Project 1999 Customer Service Staff, is deemed to be offensive or improper.

Sorry stockmarket, but there's no arguing this one. An appeal for clemency is your only option.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:42 PM
Fire Giant

yikes
Old 02-10-2018, 10:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expediency [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm sure to get a lot of "wow didnt read all that" responses, but I decided to do a little investigative reporting regarding the legitimacy of the name "stockmarket". Granted, all I found was circumstantial evidence, but taken as a whole I believe stockmarket has been punished unfairly.

These are two rules** I could find on the p99 naming policy that seemed applicable to this case:

"Names that contain sentences (Ikillorcs), phrases (Ontop), or two or more words that do not form descriptive compound words (Petcarbob, Diediedie and Tablechair).

Descriptive compound words are allowed in first names and are encouraged in surnames (e.g. Treehugger, Giantslayer).
Descriptive compound words (each separate part of the word and the entire word) must otherwise adhere to all other naming rules."

Key here is the determination of whether "stockmarket" is a phrase, or a descriptive compound word that describes the character. Only the first would be against the rules. A stretch to convict based only on this rule.

"Common words and phrases that would not be found in the time, place and setting of EverQuest (e.g. Switchblade, Phaser, Toaster, Cannabis)."

Interesting. A search of the p99 wiki shows that merchants regularly use the word "stock." Clearly a concept they are familiar with, it is used in many interactions. Even more damning is a search of the word "market" which gives numerous demonstrations that citizens of norrath are aware the market has incentives and disincentives and they are surprisingly sophisticated in their financial awareness. A few examples:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Kwinn%27s_Quest (proof that black markets also exist in norrath)
https://wiki.project1999.com/Odd_Items (proof that authority figures participate in the market, acknowledge its legitimacy, and are aware of its uncertainty)
https://wiki.project1999.com/The_Bread_Shipment (proof that the market changes based on location)
https://wiki.project1999.com/Rogue_Epic_Quest (Proof the market is shady and/or can be manipulated "The Circle quickly took any market opposition out of Qeynos."

Pretty strong evidence that stock markets, etc would be found in the time/place/setting of everquest and that these concepts would be normal for anyone with financial literacy. (off topic, but "switchblade" was a poor example, a gnomish rogue should be familiar with the idea of a mechanical hidden blade)

Grandfather clause:

Claiming to be in operation since 2010, "Stockmarket" has stood out in the public sphere for almost eight years, after some amount of time you would think that the statue of limitations had ended on this name. The public comment period certainly lasted long enough

Conclusion:

"Stockmarket" is not an aggressively offensive name. It seems to be within the spirit of the law, may or may not be against the letter of the law, but it certainly has a case for legitimacy and if that name is so beyond the pale as to be made an example of, then many (most?) of us have a name that would not pass those rules.

Reciprocity:

Baler has been incredibly heavy handed with his naming thread, refusing to consider any rebuttals to his position. He's a cowboy. As pointed out numerous times, Baler himself is rolling with a name that does not pass EQ muster: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baler

Baler at minimum should be shunned for causing disharmony in our community, at maximum his forums handle should be regenerated using the EQ name generator.

**There's always a catch

Above all else, you may not choose character or guild name which, in the sole and absolute discretion of the Project 1999 Customer Service Staff, is deemed to be offensive or improper.

Sorry stockmarket, but there's no arguing this one. An appeal for clemency is your only option.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm revising my petition lens based on this incredible EQ lawyering. I agree that Baler has always been too unyielding. But he's a radical revolutionary leader so I can't fault him. Without the extremity we wouldn't be experiencing the Cleansing.
Closed Thread