Ruins of Kunark 75 58.59%
Scars of Velious 44 34.38%
Classic all the way baby!! 9 7.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Classic all the way because it allowed anyone to access content regardless of their playtime/style; the introduction of "special" zones for the elitists only (IE VP key and Sleepers key) was the decline in EverQuest in my humble opinion. Without such restrictions, (catering to the "hardcores") I feel EverQuest would have lasted a lot longer in terms of popularity.
Eh I don't think that's a valid argument. Classic did not allow just anyone to access the end game. By access, I don't just mean go into.. . sure, anyone the proper level could have zoned into the plane of fear, and then promptly lose their corpse in the process. That doesn't mean it was accessible by any means.

It would seem to me your argument is dependent on your server not having any descent size guilds early on, so everyone was just doing pick-up raids to all the planes and dragons. Thus you saying it was accessible to anyone. And then it must have changed into a small number of elite guilds that were taking the high end content, and then not accessible to just anyone.

That has nothing to do with the expansions, it's just the evolution of the social environment over time.

If your server had any elite guilds early on, then the planes/dragons would have not been accessible to just anyone like you said... and if your server had some of those guilds early on, I'm not sure at all what you mean.

Even so, ST & VP were pretty much the only places that were literally not accessible, so even then.. it's silly to say those were stopping people from playing. Hell 95% of the people who had never been to ST & VP also probably didn't even kill vox/nagafen by then, or at least any kunkark dragons.. so that's seriously a moot point.

Anyway, Everquest was only so successful because it catered to the hardcore. These days you have all these random mmorpg's that let everyone do anything and no work. They come out and people are max level in the first week by casual players. That doesn't allow there to be any really exciting high end content, because it doesn't matter. Anyone can do it. Then it all becomes instanced, blah blah everyone knows the rest.

Everquest was amazing because there was a hell of a lot to earn in the game by being a hardcore player.

If there were random dragons in every zone so every group of casual players could just get a few people together and decide "hey, I feel like killing woushi!", Everquest would have sucked. There would have been no reason to spend time developing your character.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by calaxa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It moved the auction area of EC tunnels to LOIO.
on SolRo the auction area was still Kelethin; even when velious came. Bazaar finally killed it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
The script that was supposed to be impossible to work (awaken and kill the Sleeper).
He was killed i dont remember the server.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Fire Giant

Classic all the way. Can't beat the original. Kunark is dumb/way to dry. Velious is much better than Kunark.

Classic > Velious > POP > Luclin > Kunark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Hahaha, that is awesome. Right up there with...that one guy's....boat service before the boats worked.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Fire Giant

I voted for Velious because I like snow and I like the giant/dwarf/dragon faction web.

BUT - I think Kunark has ten *TEN* dungeons. And not the cookie-cutter computer-generated maze crap that passes for dungeons in other games. Carefully hand-crafted D.U.N.G.E.O.N.s (Dirty UNder Ground Ethereal Otherworldly Nightmares).

You gotta respect Kunark for that.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Aviak

Velious-- no brainer for me. Best expansion in any MMO, ever.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Kobold

i never had the chance to raid in everquest back when i played it, i was more of a casual player then...so i went ahead and picked kunark, loio was the most memorable zone for me, and i cant wait to go back.

**EDIT**i just remembered about CC and velks, damn, ok, well my vote should be counted for both then :P**EDIT**
Old 04-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Kunark was so good it could have been a game by itself.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedala [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
on SolRo the auction area was still Kelethin; even when velious came. Bazaar finally killed it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

He was killed i dont remember the server.
It was rumored not to work (probably because the Developers hadn't finished writing the script for it), and the GMs prevented what would have been the first success of it on RZ. SOE probably didn't expect it to happen as quickly as it did and depopped the zone. He has supposedly been killed on all servers on live now except for Ak'Anon (Mac Server)

Here's one person's account of it:
http://www.albrandes.com/skden/articles/sleeper.asp
Old 04-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Aviak

My favorite was Kunark for the same reasons a lot of others are saying. Good mix of outdoor zones and dungeons. Cool lore and feel. The best dungeons of any expansion ever IMO: Sebilis, Howling Stones, Chardok, Nurga, Dalnir, City of Mist, even Karnor's castle ruled aside from the trains. Epics introduced, good/evil outpost splits. They really nailed it with the Kunark expansion and most of my best memories are from my time in Classic/Kunark.
Allabahallaban - Iksar Monk
<Azure Guard>
Old 04-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Aviak

Kunark,

I was a casual player and even after Velious was out I loved to hang out in Kunark, Sebilis. I still remember it being very popular.

Velious did add some new spells and disciplines? to the mix where were very helpful to classes, it also had a lot of easy to acquire casual loot to fill in some of the harder more expensive to fill slots IMO.

Kunark was my favorite tho. I have fond memories in Lake of Ill Omen, Warslik's Woods (Giant fort), all sorts of little caves and mini dungeon type places to explore, Dreadlands exp groups, Karnor's castle sometimes, mostly it was a cluster fuck, and Sebilis!
Closed Thread