Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-15-2019, 01:12 PM
Planar Protector

Default GINA windows 10 Installation Error

Hey anyone else not able to install GINA on windows 10?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Downloading it here https://eq.gimasoft.com/gina/Download.aspx

but when I try to install it says that it is not trusted, and I cant figure out how to make it trusted. Everything Ive read online just sends me back into a feedback loop.

Anyone else have this problem or has this problem already been solved? I only found one thread about it on reddit from 2 months ago, it also had no solution in the comments.

Thanks! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-15-2019, 02:18 PM
Banned

Unfortunately GINA is not provided as stand-alone software. The EQ community needs the source code or we're going to lose it.

I believe there is a registry hack that will bypass this certification check, but once the GINA website goes offline we'll lose access to GINA for good.
Last edited by bomaroast; 06-15-2019 at 02:29 PM..
Old 06-15-2019, 02:31 PM
Planar Protector

There are a few home brew posts from this website. I wonder if any of them are same/better/trusted?
Old 06-15-2019, 06:34 PM
Planar Protector

I use GINA on W10. You can either run the installer from an admin command prompt (you still get the pop-up about it being untrusted, but you can click "proceed anyway" or something along those lines, or edit the properties of the installer to unblock it:

Right click the file and select Properties

Under the "General" tab, near the bottom, you'll see "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer."

Select "Unblock" and click Apply/OK

-Mcoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gina_setup.jpg (89.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 06-15-2019, 08:19 PM
Planar Protector

Hey thanks!

However every time I do this, everything seems fine, but then the installer starts and the same old message appears. If I then try to do this a second time, that option is now gone from the properties. I trash that .exe file, (downlaoded form gina) and then get a new one, repeat the process. Same thing.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Im going to try to install it on my laptop then maybe just transfer the folders? See if that works around this bug (security feature)
Old 06-15-2019, 09:01 PM
Banned

For posterity:

Start - Run - gpedit.msc

User Configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Attachment Manager - "Do dot Preserve zone information on file attachments" set to Enabled. Restart maybe. Install Gina. Reset setting back to "Not Configured"
Old 05-08-2022, 11:21 PM
Sarnak

Initially, I had no problem with installing, running, and using GINA. Now, after like maybe a year break, I was entertaining the idea of playing some more P99, but now I'm getting the "This publisher has been blocked from running software on your machine" bullshit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I've tried everything in this thread and then some and still no go [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Pretty damn annoying. No way I'm coming back to play Enchanter without GINA. Sad ;_;

This is what I see when I look at the certificate:[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-09-2022, 12:22 AM
Aviak

Click on "install certificate", select "local machine" and go through the UAC prompt, select the "Trusted Root Certificate Authority".

As that cert isn't changing any time soon it should stick around for you, if you want to remove it run mmc.exe, add the snap-in "certificates" and select "local machine" when prompted, expand "Trusted Root Certificate Authority", and then "Certificates" and you can browse and find the Gimasoft LLC cert.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:27 AM
Planar Protector

I'm still able to access the "unblock" option on the installer, despite the certificate being expired. Where are you being hung up in the process?

-Mcoy
Old 05-09-2022, 12:33 AM
Aviak

Sorry, just realised i missed out a couple of steps.

1. Remove the zone info from the setup.exe file in your downloads dir by right clicking and goto properties and uncheck that box, it's pretty much there to say the file came from the internet so might be suss, once unchecked you are good to go. (i.e. what McCoy said.)

Just went through the process with Win11 and its up and running for me.
2. Install the cert to trusted root cert authority, it's not changing anytime soon so you probably wont have to repeat this step. Right click the setup.exe and go to the "digital certs" tab, select the cert in the window below and click details. Click on the "view certificate" button and then "install certificate", when prompted select "local machine" and save to the "trusted root certificate authority".