Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-13-2019, 11:34 AM
Kobold

Default Can I have different key mappings for each character?

The title says it all. I want to use different key binds for different characters but it's not working - it only saves the last keys I save. What file(s) holds this info? I would assume eqclient.ini. However, I see that there's also a .ini file for each character that has a section called "hotbuttons" so it seems like this should be possible. Is there a way to do this?
Old 06-13-2019, 11:55 AM
Aviak

If you use WinEQ2 you can set up different profiles. Requires you to launch the game through the different profiles though so that means you have to exit the game completely and relaunch with a different profile. I do it, its worth it for the different binds.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:22 PM
Planar Protector

I think you're right about it being eqclient.ini, so I think you could just manually rotate that file.

Set all your key mappings on one character, then make a copy of eqclient.ini file for that char. Then set all your key mappings on a second character and do the same.

Now before you play just delete eqclient.ini and replace it with a copy of the character ini file, and you should be set. However, this will also give you a separate friends list and other preferences, and any changes you make to those friends/preferences would get lost unless you remembered to make a new copy of the eqclient.ini afterwards.

EDIT: You could probably write a batch script (ie. a .bat file) that does this for you and then starts EQ (it might even be possible to have it always copy the file back after you're done, preserving your friends and other preferences).

Then you could just have one .bat file for each character, and use them to start EQ (saving you the trouble of manually rotating them).

I'd offer to write one for you but I'm on Linux and we have Bash scripts (which are different).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-13-2019 at 01:39 PM..
Old 06-14-2019, 12:12 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think you're right about it being eqclient.ini, so I think you could just manually rotate that file.

Set all your key mappings on one character, then make a copy of eqclient.ini file for that char. Then set all your key mappings on a second character and do the same.

Now before you play just delete eqclient.ini and replace it with a copy of the character ini file, and you should be set. However, this will also give you a separate friends list and other preferences, and any changes you make to those friends/preferences would get lost unless you remembered to make a new copy of the eqclient.ini afterwards.

EDIT: You could probably write a batch script (ie. a .bat file) that does this for you and then starts EQ (it might even be possible to have it always copy the file back after you're done, preserving your friends and other preferences).

Then you could just have one .bat file for each character, and use them to start EQ (saving you the trouble of manually rotating them).

I'd offer to write one for you but I'm on Linux and we have Bash scripts (which are different).
Thanks, sounds like this is the best option and should be easy to make the batch files.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by deven1313 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks, sounds like this is the best option and should be easy to make the batch files.
Good luck, and if you get it working consider sharing your batch file back here for others to use.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.