Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-06-2018, 02:24 PM
Sarnak

Default What zone speed is normal?

Hi all,

I have recently come back from about a 2 year hiatus and I was wondering about load times. Right now it takes me about 15-25 seconds to zone and after playing on other eqemu servers this seems like a really long time. I played on PEQ for a while and I was able to zone 24 characters in the same amount of time I am able to zone my one on P99. Is it that the RoF2 client they use there is that much better or am I missing some optimization?

I'm on Windows 10 and have no problems with running the game (except sometimes while turning it will freeze for 1-2 seconds).

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2018, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

I can't speak to what's normal (you should do a poll for that), but 15-25 seconds doesn't sound abnormal for a SATA hard drive.

As I understand it zone load times are based entirely on how fast your computer can read the zone files (on your hard drive) and then shove them into the appropriate places in-memory (in your RAM). As a result, you have essentially three options:

1. Keep your current hard drive
2. Replace your hard drive (or add a new one) that's a Solid State Drive (SSD) which can read data much faster than older SATA hard drives
3. Use a tool like RAM Disk to make a fake "hard drive" with memory; this will be the fastest option possible

Here's a random comparison I found to give you a sense of scale of three different options:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Scanning your hard disk for errors and defragmenting it might also help a little, if you really don't like options #2 or #3, but I wouldn't expect it to help that much.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 02-06-2018 at 02:57 PM..
Old 02-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Sarnak

Thanks for the info. Are you supposed to put your entire eq directory on the RAM disk? Seems like alot, can I cherry pick the files?
Old 02-07-2018, 09:46 AM
Planar Protector

I've found the connection I'm playing from makes a big difference.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:16 AM
Fire Giant

Ramdisk or GTFO.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:39 AM
Sarnak

Well I have 16gb of ram so I should be able to put the whole thing on it. Doesn't this make startup/shutdown incredibly slow because of the backup? I dont have to do it too often but Windows 10 can be a dick sometimes with updates. (Can't always schedule them in the task scheduler)
Old 02-13-2018, 04:08 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Hey, Pope Hat.

I definitely suggest RamDisk or the like.

Also, check out EQlite which will remove all the files P99 doesn't use. That'll bring your folder size to around 1.4 gigs or so.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=7186

You'll also want to get in a habit of backing up your EQ folder occasionally to a solid drive. Once a week or so should be fine, depending how often you update your UI, friendslist, /note, etc.

Lastly, when zoning there is always that 5 second "Loading, please wait..." business that, as far as I know, can't be avoided. For me, the actual load time (blue progress bar) is less than a second.

Running from RAM should also fix your stutter when turning.
Last edited by Google; 02-13-2018 at 04:10 PM..