Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 10:53 AM
Sarnak

Why is it such a big deal to pull Nagafen to where they did? Serious question.

It looked pretty smart to me, but I'm not entrenched in 10 years of P99 rules.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:57 AM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleztheAndal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Props to Seal Team for the kill, but to be honest watching that was depressing lol. So much cheese and mechanic abuse.

Is this what classic raiding in eq is now that the game is 20 years old? Is there no real challenge left?

Or does challenge come from having to engage prematurely due to competing guilds?

Watching this Nag kill, for the first time, makes me see the value in a Red server. PvE on a 20 year old server has never seemed more stale to me than it did tonight.
You must be used to being in guilds that never kill naggy. You do whatever it takes when raiding in bronze and cloth sandles.

Enjoy never killing naggy if you have such rigid expections of what is allowed.

Grats Seal Team.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:58 AM
Planar Protector

The only thing more tired than the oft-repeated calls for a new PvP server are the chorus of replies about how, "LOL RED IS DEAD, PVP IN EQ IS UNBALANCED AND TOTAL FAIL U MORAN." Invariably the people saying this know nothing about the history of Red and have never played on any EQ PvP server, classic or emulated.

The reality is that EQ PvP is literally more balanced than EQ PvE. All classes have a niche in EQ PvP, an area in which they can excel. Hybrids are particularly effective, whereas on a Blue server they are basically a joke. Wizards are useful for more than raid kills. Druids are extremely good. When you factor in PvP + PvE together EverQuest reaches its highest level of immersion and class balance.

The strange thing is that EQ as played on P1999 PvE is inherently a PvP game: the content itself is never the challenge, the only challenge is beating other players to that content. So these Blue players who decry PvP are totally incoherent, because they are actively engaged in competition against other players. They are just competing indirectly rather than directly. The PvP players simply prefer their competition to be more direct and concrete.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The reality is that EQ PvP is literally more balanced than EQ PvE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hybrids are particularly effective
Quote:
Wizards are useful for more than raid kills
Quote:
Druids are extremely good...
Do you uh, see what you did here?[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-15-2019, 11:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
The only thing more tired than the oft-repeated calls for a new PvP server are the chorus of replies about how, "LOL RED IS DEAD, PVP IN EQ IS UNBALANCED AND TOTAL FAIL U MORAN." Invariably the people saying this know nothing about the history of Red and have never played on any EQ PvP server, classic or emulated.

The reality is that EQ PvP is literally more balanced than EQ PvE. All classes have a niche in EQ PvP, an area in which they can excel. Hybrids are particularly effective, whereas on a Blue server they are basically a joke. Wizards are useful for more than raid kills. Druids are extremely good. When you factor in PvP + PvE together EverQuest reaches its highest level of immersion and class balance.

The strange thing is that EQ as played on P1999 PvE is inherently a PvP game: the content itself is never the challenge, the only challenge is beating other players to that content. So these Blue players who decry PvP are totally incoherent, because they are actively engaged in competition against other players. They are just competing indirectly rather than directly. The PvP players simply prefer their competition to be more direct and concrete.
This is a fair point. Still don't like EQ PvP, though.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bum3 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wish they'd go ahead and make soulfire equip to use. This cheese is really smelly.
While I agree soulfires should be either must or can equip to click, only 1 click of it was used in the Naggy fight. The cheese came from spamming zerg clerics that were bound nearby. But, given that its 6 50's + a handful of 30's in rags and used bronze, its pretty good.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you uh, see what you did here?[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The point is that every class has a PvP niche in which they excel. In contrast, PvE niches are much more limited for the classes I listed. There is basically zero reason for a PvE guild to have Paladins, Rangers, SKs and Druids around. There is zero reason to ever have a Wizard in your XP group. But on a Red server you would be glad to XP with a Wiz, knowing that if PvP suddenly happened his burst damage would be very valuable. It's much the same having an SK or other hybrid around.

When you combine PvP and PvE the class roles become much more fleshed out and every class feels like they are contributing more.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:27 AM
Sarnak

LOL YES
Old 11-15-2019, 11:28 AM
Planar Protector

You have become better at clicking Soulfire! (200)
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:39 AM
Sarnak

Grats, guys! Great achievement! I'm a little jealous I haven't committed to getting to that point on Green, as that must have felt pretty good on a rainy, Fall Thursday!

--

But, I've seen't and heard this too much not to say anything: "It was a zerg, but they won, so kudos!"

100% the criticism of Blue Raid scene is now par for the course. I, personally, don't see that as a bad thing. BUT, first big raid mob downed on Green and it's done on the Blue standard, and there's so much shade being thrown around on how 'toxic' the old p99 mentality is.

Can we now just admit there's far more to this game than raid mechanics, so we can stop this constant criticism of 'denying other pixels' and crap like that?

[Oracle] [Grave Lord] [Outrider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llandris View Post
You also don't have to play here if you don't like the rules. It's your choice <3
Closed Thread