Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Should we change classic-mechanics here to allow more guilds access to raid content?
Yes 75 42.13%
No 103 57.87%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

And that's why, as I mentioned earlier, I abstained from the poll.

Both sides have merit. A classic feel is killing dragons, not training the other guild so you can kill dragons. In my experiences from Live, if another guild was present at a kill, we went and found a new target, not fight for FTE.

At the same time, a classic feel is 7 day respawn, not "kill on token summon" when it fits my raid's schedule. This meant we were often beat to server pops by Asian time-zones.

Since I feel this server contains an overall more casual playerbase, it would benefit from some form of more casual raid schedule ability. However, since the server's goal is a reproduction of classic, it would benefit from static respawns. Since I can't decide which weighs more heavily, the goal of the server or the wishes of the playerbase, I am a "hung jury" on changing the server.

I will agree, however, that the current variance system does not cater to the majority of the server's player base and also is not classic.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This would be ideal for the casual players who came to this server to see content they never got to see on live, but have careers and families now that they can't devote their time to poopsocking mobs.

The majority of the population isn't TMO. TMO is the only guild with the player base that actually wants to spend their entire day raiding or poopsocking, which makes the raid scene practically unplayable for any other guild.

How is it fair that one guild gets to set the terms for content access in a game?
The server wasn't created to enable casual players to kill raid mobs that they didn't see in classic. It was created to recreate a classic experience. And there certainly wasn't much killing of raid mobs in classic just because you thought it would be fun to go do it once, as far as I can remember.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Project Manager

I am still interested in hearing proposals for better end game systems. In the past, I have tried to comment on the ones I thought were good and still in the spirit of classic, non-instanced raiding.

If there was a perfect system in which raid targets spawned simultaneously within a certain window:

• Would guilds still poopsock?
  • Would a single guild still get most of the targets?
From what I've seen, raiding guilds on p99 have far greater numbers than were historically on my eqlive server. I would hate to make a system that somehow made things worse :T

Anyways, keep up the proposals. Hopefully something is suggested that supports more guilds getting targets without diminishing competition.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Planar Protector

enable pvp in raid zones on blue. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What do you need Trak for other than to deny other guilds BPs/teeth/epics? And that's just one example. TMO admits their VP tracking bot has a full set of VP weapons. Please, explain why you are killing mobs other than to deny the mobs to other groups. Keeping the items scarce through any form of denial is no different than what IB did to TMO.
There are still people needing breastplates and other trak loot, including keys. You really think we wake up at 3am just to deny others loot we have no use for? Lol. Neg. I like sleep. Shockingly, some classes have their bps while other classes still need. Repeat for other mobs... or are you really wanting Draco for those bone razors? Didn't think so.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischsemmel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The server wasn't created to enable casual players to kill raid mobs that they didn't see in classic. It was created to recreate a classic experience. And there certainly wasn't much killing of raid mobs in classic just because you thought it would be fun to go do it once, as far as I can remember.
Variance should go then.

From the front page:
"Relive the classic Everquest MMORPG Gaming Experience as it was in 1999 and onward. Project 1999 is a free to play Emulated Everquest Server giving Players the opportunity to experience Classic EQ Once again, starting with the original 3 continents and a max level of 50, with the look and feel of the old interface and several modifications making game mechanics similar to how the game used to be. Project 1999 is the best and most popular classic Everquest experience."

I can't experience it if one guild blocks the content. It's a hobby server created for nostalgic purposes. If it isn't for the casual player, which makes up the majority of the population, who was it created for?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why change the classic stuff when there's unclassic stuff that should be changed first (like the incredibly long variance for raid mobs)?
I am agreeing with Lazortag in a thead on the forums.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why change the classic stuff when there's unclassic stuff that should be changed first (like the incredibly long variance for raid mobs)?
I remember when the variance was put in to deter poopsocking faggotry, and people just poopsocked harder.

That's part of what ruined this server at the endgame. The other part was not banning hundreds of cheaters, but whatever.

If poopsocking was made illegal the endgame would be so much more pleasurable for more people. Not everyone is a disgusting piece of shit that wants to sit on a spawnpoint for a week because they're incapable of legitimately competing with a superior guild for FTE. (Read: back when there were more than the single sad zerg left on the server)
Old 05-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not saying the content should be easier. I'm saying the content should be accessable. This isn't a PvP game. If TMO really wanted the competition that they claim to want, they'd be on the Red server where competition is the game. As it stands they are killing mobs they don't need just so that other guilds can't have them.

And to a casual player who wants a trip down memory lane and a chance to see parts of the game they didn't have a chance at the first go around, yes, it is indeed unfair.
Well, it is accessible, if you outcompete TMO. In other words, it's not accessible because competing with TMO at this point is very hard, not because of some system feature or the hardness of the encounter itself or TMO exploiting ( as far as I know ).

On a personal note, if TMO is really killing stuff they don't need just to deny others, that sucks, but I have exactly zero knowledge of whether they are or not. I can't see why they would at this point.

I'm not personally against any change to how end game raiding works, but I think that it would have to be pretty extensive to really make a difference. I think it's got to look pretty much like instancing unless people are willing to put up with enforced rotations.
Last edited by fadetree; 05-08-2012 at 11:22 AM..
Old 05-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
From the front page:
"Relive the classic Everquest MMORPG Gaming Experience as it was in 1999 and onward. Project 1999 is a free to play Emulated Everquest Server giving Players the opportunity to experience Classic EQ Once again, starting with the original 3 continents and a max level of 50, with the look and feel of the old interface and several modifications making game mechanics similar to how the game used to be. Project 1999 is the best and most popular classic Everquest experience."

I can't experience it if one guild blocks the content. It's a hobby server created for nostalgic purposes. If it isn't for the casual player, which makes up the majority of the population, who was it created for?
It says it was created for you to have the OPPORTUNITY to experience classic EQ. It says it was created for you to relive the classic EXPERIENCE. It does not say that the server was created so you can experience things you missed out on back in the day. It does not say that it was created so you can experience everything as a casual.

You have an opportunity to experience every single piece of the p99. If you can't/won't seize on that opportunity, that's fine! But don't complain that you aren't being handed the game on a silver platter as if you were promised that with p99 any more than you were with classic.
Last edited by fischsemmel; 05-08-2012 at 11:24 AM..
Closed Thread