Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: What do you think will happen?
The USA will buy the UK to make them great again 15 14.02%
The monarchy will collapse, England to become Venezuela 2.0 10 9.35%
UK to sink in total recession, AM/Riot to rejoice about this new stream of jobless apps 25 23.36%
The UK will do just fine, will claim back USA, India, Australia and all other ex colonies 23 21.50%
The EU will make Boris Johnson fuck a pig live on TV, or they kill Harry 19 17.76%
Bush // towers 39 36.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 09:04 AM
Sarnak

"Independent" Supreme Court judge makes anti-Boris speech.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:08 AM
Sarnak

EU super-trawler capable of landing 6000 tonnes of fish is currently plundering UK fishing waters. UK powerless to preserve its fish stocks while we are in the EU.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrombosis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From what I've read, the problems with the fishing waters is the UK government fucked up on many levels negotiations, including awarding fishing rights almost exclusively to super companies rather than local generational fishers.

To be honest, even though it was rightly one of the key issues for many leave voters, I don't see how leaving the EU is going to do anything to reduce government cronyism of fisheries. There will be less to stop them from awarding all fishing rights of UK waters to their wealthy 'friends'.

Fishing waters is one of many crisis where the government has fucked up / sold out (depending how generous you are feeling) and then scapegoated the EU.

I expect this behaviour to continue, with the government scapegoating "unfavourable leaving terms" on Europe each time the government bails out a crony instead of supporting the people.
Last edited by Jimjam; 10-04-2019 at 09:16 AM..
Old 10-04-2019, 09:28 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From what I've read, the problems with the fishing waters is the UK government fucked up on many levels negotiations, including awarding fishing rights almost exclusively to super companies rather than local generational fishers.
That would be illegal under EU law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To be honest, even though it was rightly one of the key issues for many leave voters, I don't see how leaving the EU is going to do anything to reduce government cronyism of fisheries. There will be less to stop them from awarding all fishing rights of UK waters to their wealthy 'friends'.

Fishing waters is one of many crisis where the government has fucked up / sold out (depending how generous you are feeling) and then scapegoated the EU.

I expect this behaviour to continue, with the government scapegoating "unfavourable leaving terms" on Europe each time the government bails out a crony instead of supporting the people.
One of the things that would stop that happening is that the politicians who decide UK fishing policy would be held accountable by the UK electorate - something that currently doesn't happen with the EU.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrombosis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just because you're independent doesn't mean you can't acknowledge that someone is a twat.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
That would be illegal under EU law.

One of the things that would stop that happening is that the politicians who decide UK fishing policy would be held accountable by the UK electorate - something that currently doesn't happen with the EU.
Member states remain responsible for allocating quotas; i believe this is the justification for the cronyism of how the uk gov screws locals and sucks up to the corps. If, as you say, the way we have allocated our quotas, is illegal, that is a big red mark against our government (but also red mark to the EU for not acting on it).

Much of our crony privitisation is blamed on EU law... But no other EU nations seem to interpret the EU laws the way the UK does.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:03 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by feniin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just because you're independent doesn't mean you can't acknowledge that someone is a twat.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that it does mean you can't acknowledge that you think someone is a twat.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:06 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Member states remain responsible for allocating quotas; i believe this is the justification for the cronyism of how the uk gov screws locals and sucks up to the corps. If, as you say, the way we have allocated our quotas, is illegal, that is a big red mark against our government (but also red mark to the EU for not acting on it).

Much of our crony privitisation is blamed on EU law... But no other EU nations seem to interpret the EU laws the way the UK does.
No we haven't acted illegally - you suggested we should favour small, independent, local fishing fleets over the big corporate trawlers. That is what is illegal under EU law, and would remain illegal as long as we're in the Single Market.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure that it does mean you can't acknowledge that you think someone is a twat.
As long as the trial/decision was unbiased and carried out according to law, you can absolutely have an opinion after the fact. Thought policing already?
Old 10-04-2019, 10:38 AM
Banned

Giving control to a bunch of dumb yokels is how you get food shortages
Closed Thread