Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 07:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you're looking for race and class combined penalty, see: https://wiki.project1999.com/Choosing_a_Race#Class
The table is confusing. It has values in Dwarf Magician, Halfling Enchanter, etc. What am I reading incorrectly?
Old 10-21-2019, 07:27 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is that table even correct? It says TRL SHD is -60%. I thought it was -68%?
I was pretty sure that the XP penalties used to be multiplicative and not additive. So 140% penalty and then you multiply the 120% penalty and get 168% penalty. This could have changed however since the last time I was active on p99 about 4-5 years ago.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:55 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thievery [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was pretty sure that the XP penalties used to be multiplicative and not additive. So 140% penalty and then you multiply the 120% penalty and get 168% penalty. This could have changed however since the last time I was active on p99 about 4-5 years ago.
I beleive you are right... Bumamgar who seems to have worked on (or seen) this code in 2010, says it is multiplicative. I could not find anything saying it was later changed to additive.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...6&postcount=39
Old 10-21-2019, 11:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The table is confusing. It has values in Dwarf Magician, Halfling Enchanter, etc. What am I reading incorrectly?
Sorry, copy/paste errors (wiki tables are hard).

Quote:
Originally Posted by soronil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I beleive you are right... Bumamgar who seems to have worked on (or seen) this code in 2010, says it is multiplicative. I could not find anything saying it was later changed to additive.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...6&postcount=39
My mistake, will fix.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:05 PM
Planar Protector

Fixed.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:49 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars2heaven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Somewhat off topic but still related, why do these exist in the first place? It's easy to see it as a balancing of the advantages that some of the races have, but what about the highbrid classes? Were they seen as having significant advantages that justified a penalty?
I think a deeper answer may lie in AD&D lore, which was a primary inspiration for a lot of the race/class content in EQ. Going back to second edition rules, simpler classes used different exp tables than Warriors, Wizards, or Hybrids, allowing them to level faster to compensate for their less powerful kits. Rogues needed 1250 to get to level 2, Clerics/Monks 1500, Warriors 2000, Paladins/Rangers 2250, Wizards 2500. Later editions added powerful races that players could choose, but at the cost of a level or two, so if the party were starting their adventure at level two, your Ogre Warrior would be level one to balance his amazing stats with the rest of the crew. I see the EQ penalties as an adaptation of that idea-
Old 10-21-2019, 01:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think a deeper answer may lie in AD&D lore, which was a primary inspiration for a lot of the race/class content in EQ. Going back to second edition rules, simpler classes used different exp tables than Warriors, Wizards, or Hybrids, allowing them to level faster to compensate for their less powerful kits. Rogues needed 1250 to get to level 2, Clerics/Monks 1500, Warriors 2000, Paladins/Rangers 2250, Wizards 2500. Later editions added powerful races that players could choose, but at the cost of a level or two, so if the party were starting their adventure at level two, your Ogre Warrior would be level one to balance his amazing stats with the rest of the crew. I see the EQ penalties as an adaptation of that idea-
This, except intermediated by MUDs, which were of course based on D&D themselves (I think DikuMUD was the one EQ was most based off?)

Old 10-21-2019, 01:28 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This, except intermediated by MUDs, which were of course based on D&D themselves (I think DikuMUD was the one EQ was most based off?)
Yes according to Brad that is the MUD Eq was based off of.
Closed Thread