Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 08-15-2022, 04:43 AM
Planar Protector

Default Balance the Classes by Moving Existing Abilities

By simply moving existing abilities between classes (not the best way to redesign, but the quickest), what would look most balanced and interesting? I think:

*Wizard: take all Enchanter mana-related spells. Take Magician bolt-type spells and Burnt Wood Staff.

*Magician: take Enchanter "Rune" line (including clickies). Take all Druid fire-type spells from Level 29+, because it doesn't make sense for Druids to have fire magic. Take damage shield potion from Shaman, turning it into a no-rent lore summon spell, and triggering on pets when handed to them. Holgresh Elder Beads, Reclaim Energy clickies, and Ro's Breath potion changed to Magician and Wizard only.

*Ranger: take Shaman pet spells up through Level 50 and Druid "Allure of the Wild" (Druids quickly replace that spell with Call of Karana and already have Beguile Animals beforehand, so they don't really need it). Take Kinesthetics and Duelist disciplines from Rogue, and Deftdance discipline from Bard.

*Druid: take Cleric heal-over-time spells and Shaman Level 55 pet. Slightly increase heal amount of Nature's Touch, because it's silly how Chloroblast is the same mana efficiency (more efficient when accounting for less fizzles, since it's a lower level spell).

*Paladin: take Cleric "Symbol" line, giving Paladin a stronger and more needed identity as HP buffers. Take Weaponshield discipline from Ranger.

*Cleric: change Divine Light spell to 300 mana, which somewhat reduces the sting of losing their heal-over-time spells (but of course they already have the insanely powerful Complete Heal; they'll be fine).

*Shadowknight: take resist debuff line from Magician and Malo from Shaman, giving SK's a necessary raid role (unresistible debuff). Take Counterattack and Deadeye disciplines from Rogue. Change Ivandyr's Hoop to be common drop SK-only Level 46 item with unlimited charges and 12 second recharge time. Move Shadownight pet spells to Necromancer (aka, deletes them from this class, for balance and so Rangers are uniquely the melee class with pets). Move summon corpse to Necromancer, making that ability uniquely theirs.

*Rogue: take Monk feign death, allowing this class to more appropriately be the stealthy pullers. Decrease defense and parry skillcaps, reinforcing how they should be the worst tanks of the melee classes.

*Shaman: add Double Attack and increase offense/weapon skillcaps. Shaman being the best melee caster makes sense, especially since they already facetank when soloing. The loss of their pet when soloing is made up for here. Take Eagle Strike skill and Ashenhand discipline from Monks, because they don't use that shit anyway.

In summary
Buffed: Wizard, Paladin, Ranger, Shadowknight, Druid
Approximately same power level: Rogue (but better at soloing now), Magician, Necromancer, Warrior
Slightly Nerfed: Cleric, Shaman, Bard
Moderately Nerfed: Enchanter, Monk
Old 08-15-2022, 09:14 AM
Large Bat

I only want to add as far as Druids having Fire Magic goes, it actually does make sense that Druids have fire magic. From a roleplaying perspective, dungeons and dragons sort of set a precedent upon which many classes in EQ are built on, and that and many other reference material druids would wield fire magic.

As far as nature-lovers wielding fire magic, I present the argument of controlled burns which are necessary in forest management.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_burn
Old 08-15-2022, 09:14 AM
Planar Protector

*Enchanter They don't need fixed

*Wizard Give them indoor version of harmony

*Magician They don't need fixed

*Necromancer They don't need fixed

*Ranger They don't need fixed

*Rogue Make poisons available on spell bar with 1 minute recast time, no components.

*Monk They don't need fixed

*Bard They don't need fixed

*Druid They don't need fixed

*Cleric If anything reduce recast time on smite line, otherwise they don't need fixed

*Shaman They don't need fixed

*Paladin They don't need fixed

*Shadowknight They don't need fixed

*Warrior Allow bind wound to 100% starting at level 1
Old 08-15-2022, 09:25 AM
Planar Protector

I love these kind of threads!

I’m going to do something a little different - I’m gonna tweak stun to fix the classes ( a bit ).

First fix is melee stuns will now generate aggro similar to spell stuns. This pushes the focus of melee aggro generation onto shield bashing. Relatedly Shield of thr Slain Unicorn acts as a shield (like the knight epics) as well as a piercing weapon.

Second fix is wizard PCs get to ignore the cap on duration for player cast stuns so their tishan/markar line of stuns will last up to eight seconds.

Knock back nukes and melee attacks (like kick) will also have a much improved ability to interrupt spell casting (both for npc and pc).

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 08-15-2022, 09:27 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqravenprince [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

*Warrior Allow bind wound to 100% starting at level 1
THIS!
Old 08-15-2022, 09:31 AM
Planar Protector

I'd be ok with Enchanter losing all mind buffs/taps and giving to Wizard. I'd also like to see shaman's give torpor to druids and make monk epic a worn haste like ranger/rogue.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:43 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I love these kind of threads!

I’m going to do something a little different - I’m gonna tweak stun to fix the classes ( a bit ).

First fix is melee stuns will now generate aggro similar to spell stuns. This pushes the focus of melee aggro generation onto shield bashing. Relatedly Shield of thr Slain Unicorn acts as a shield (like the knight epics) as well as a piercing weapon.

Second fix is wizard PCs get to ignore the cap on duration for player cast stuns so their tishan/markar line of stuns will last up to eight seconds.

Knock back nukes and melee attacks (like kick) will also have a much improved ability to interrupt spell casting (both for npc and pc).
I really like your suggestions for Melee stuns and attacks like kick, especially how they relate to interrupting spell casting. It will make the roles much more engaging and active.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:54 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Fun thread but to OP giving rogue FD is a joke.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:55 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Fun change for warrior - Allow equipping 2h weapon + shield.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:57 AM
Fire Giant

I really think the only two or three classes that need genuine updates are Warriors, Wizards, and Rangers.

Warriors need some function that generates threat so that they can do their job without relying on proc weapons to shore up a game design flaw.

Wizards don't need clarity, if anything reduce the cooldown and improve spells like Harvest to help them get mana back. But more importantly, the fact that Wizards are just super clunky in groups is their primary issue. They deal damage in massive chunks which isn't conducive to group-play and even if they just cast one spell per mob they're running OOM with an efficient group. And if they only cast one spell per mob they're probably far below the damage output of any melee in the party on that mob.

Reduce the threat of Wizard spells and let them cast Harvest like every 1.5-2 minutes or something.

And for Rangers: Bows should function like 2-handers scaling off of Dexterity and the "Deal double damage to stationary non-rooted targets" effect should be in place from level 1 for them instead of...what is it..like 52 or something? That's all. Nerf Trueshot if you need to but just let me live my bow dps ranger fantasy.