Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 09-27-2022, 05:22 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1. Because it’s pve content was on rails

2. Because it’s pve content outside of raids was far too easy

3. Because the lack of significant consequences for dying removed a lot of excitement and sense of danger, especially in dungeons

Those are probably the big 3, if I had to pick. That being said, I liked EQ but loved WoW, but mostly WoW for the pvp
This was my experience. I remember being bugged by how easy it was to figure out quests. Felt like I was being spoon fed. It felt like a watered down version of EQ to me. I didn't play it for long, but my brother was into it and played for a while. To each their own I guess.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:26 PM
Banned

Wow was the game ever
Old 09-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow was the game ever
Old 09-27-2022, 06:41 PM
Planar Protector

Wow didn't feel as personal as EQ felt to me. I felt like iw as playing a game, while EQ was like a virtual real life where Id be scared, and lost, and confused, just like IRL.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:26 PM
Planar Protector

Imagine if they made a version of P99 that penalized the neckbeards and rewarded the warm bodies, that was WoW vs EQ and why WoW has made 10+ billion dollars and EQ a 10th or 20th of that.
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 09-27-2022, 09:33 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-27-2022, 09:41 PM
Planar Protector

How was the commute to work today, you'll make Hep Desk Tech II in no time if you keep putting in the work
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 09-27-2022, 10:54 PM
Large Bat

Furor and Tigole played a big part in it too, these were 2 of the most vocal and followed EQ Players and near the end of PoP they were both shitting all over EQ begging for WoW to launch so they and their guilds could move over to it. It made a lot of people either have a disdain feeling towards WoW or also hate EQ and wait for the new game.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:06 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

So WoW destoryed EQ's population, but to be fair it wasn't all WoW's fault: SOE shot themselves in the foot with the EQ 2 release also.
Gates of Discord was an absolute disaster, and it was timed horribly for SOE since it came out a few months before WoW launched; they had tuned the expansion for players at level 70 but then didn't actually increase the level cap in a mind-bogglingly dumb maneuver, it was like releasing the Velious raid zones while leaving the level cap at 50, I was in a top 2 guild on my server and grinding that expansion was like slamming your head against a wall, I and over half my guild were pushed over the edge and quit within the first few weeks, just in time for the WoW launch.

https://everquest.fandom.com/wiki/Ev...tes_of_Discord
Old 09-28-2022, 03:21 AM
Kobold

My friend and I had pretty similar taste in video games, but I had only dipped my toes in live EQ whereas he went full in and was in a hardcore raid guild by the time WoW was coming around.

When WoW came out I thought it was the answer to all our mmorpg prayers, but he wasn't impressed and barely touched it. I did get the feeling though that it was mostly because he had already put 10,000 hours into progress questing, and doing it again from scratch wasn't appealing, rather than any particular shortcomings of the game or superiority of everquest.

It's hard to say Vanilla WoW as it existed 2004-2007 wasn't an outright superior experience to 99% of everquest though. To me its only on replayability where it falls short. Once you've mastered the mechanics of WoW and the content, there's less depth and less variety compared to EQ. Its shorter, more condensed, and more on rails. But I don't think any of that was really a factor when you and everybody else was starting fresh and blind. It's hard to overstate its impact and how it was experienced compared to the competition.