Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 01:20 AM
Planar Protector

If you don't get the nostalgia rush from remembering playing EQ back in 99/00 I HIGHLY doubt the game will be able to keep your attention. Compared to modern games, it's a fucking nightmare controls/UI wise - like bordering on unplayable.

I love people coming to p99 but unless you actually played EQ back in the day I can not recommend trying to get into now, there just isn't any way I think you would have fun with it.

EQ is a relic and p99 is a museum
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 10-27-2020, 01:22 AM
Planar Protector

Also if you must play, there are ways to find a copy of Titanium w/o buying it
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 10-27-2020, 01:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you don't get the nostalgia rush from remembering playing EQ back in 99/00 I HIGHLY doubt the game will be able to keep your attention. Compared to modern games, it's a fucking nightmare controls/UI wise - like bordering on unplayable.

I love people coming to p99 but unless you actually played EQ back in the day I can not recommend trying to get into now, there just isn't any way I think you would have fun with it.

EQ is a relic and p99 is a museum
yeah, honestly, just dont lol
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 10-27-2020, 02:30 AM
Fire Giant

You shouldn’t, that way you can’t say i didn’t warn you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-27-2020, 05:58 AM
Kobold

EQ is a very different kind of MMO compared to modern games. When it was launched, It was at the dawn between MUD, P&P like D&D and first era of 3D games. It very much retains a lot of 80s classic RPG genre that doesnt get much attention anymore.

If you like CRPGs that are redone and flavoured like the games of old (Baldurs Gate, D&D, etc.) and you like old school mechanics and unforgiving gameplay, EQ still has an edge over modern game design. Games in the 90s were designed as a challenge, not entertainment.

But it isn't only about EQ in general. P1999 has a very special community, very mature in general and very beginner-friendly. Most people played EQ as teenagers and now have kids and all things you got in your 30s. It's a different kind of company than your usual F2P audience. I don't say there's no drama, but there are almost certainly less hormones involved [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

EQ is a niche nowadays as most old RPGs are. If you fit into that niche, EQ is gold.
<Aanelenye> lvl 43 Paladin
<Vaalyun> lvl 48 Wizard
Blue chars: retired

Last edited by Exard3k; 10-27-2020 at 06:05 AM..
Old 10-27-2020, 10:35 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exard3k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ is a very different kind of MMO compared to modern games. When it was launched, It was at the dawn between MUD, P&P like D&D and first era of 3D games. It very much retains a lot of 80s classic RPG genre that doesnt get much attention anymore.

If you like CRPGs that are redone and flavoured like the games of old (Baldurs Gate, D&D, etc.) and you like old school mechanics and unforgiving gameplay, EQ still has an edge over modern game design. Games in the 90s were designed as a challenge, not entertainment.

But it isn't only about EQ in general. P1999 has a very special community, very mature in general and very beginner-friendly. Most people played EQ as teenagers and now have kids and all things you got in your 30s. It's a different kind of company than your usual F2P audience. I don't say there's no drama, but there are almost certainly less hormones involved [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

EQ is a niche nowadays as most old RPGs are. If you fit into that niche, EQ is gold.
Very good points. It’s interesting that you mentioned the isometric games. I’ve been a D&D fan for many years so those old school games have always appealed to me. Over the past few yrs, I’ve purchased the remastered versions of Baldur’s Gate 1&2, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, among others. I’ve played around with some of the modern ones as well like Pillars of Eternity. It’s one of the things that led me here. I ask myself, why are these old games as entertaining to me as any new triple A title, and in a lot of ways, filled with more depth. Even though they don’t have shiny new graphics and voice acting, I was having more fun than a lot of modern games. When I see clips of EQ, it kind of reminds me of The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. (I know it’s a single player game), but the game is dated graphically, but imo it’s the best Elder scrolls game ever. EQ reminds me of that game because that game was a much slower pace than modern games, but there was so much mystery and exploration, it just felt alive to me. That game didn’t hold your hand. It didn’t mark your map (although there was one). The NPC gave you directions, so you had to pay attention, look for landmarks. If you got lost, it often led you on a new adventure that you may have never stumbled upon. That’s the feeling that is missing in most modern games.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
He didn’t say much, just that it was a special time in his life and that there really isn’t anything quite like it.
You didn't listen to him, are you going to listen to us?

It's like Runescape. It's on version 3 I think? Yet some people play Old School Runescape which is Runescape 2007. Is it better? No it sucks. I have no nostalgia for the game having never played it so I tried them both and the new one was way better. Was OG more hardcore? Maybe, I couldn't tell through all the UI and graphic suck.

I'm not saying don't play, I'm just saying it's not magical. The UI and graphics and some old gameplay tropes are going to be real wearying if you don't have a secondary source of appeal.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:38 AM
Large Rat

Put it this way.....in a modern MMO, you can log on for a couple of hours and make progress of some description.

In EQ, you can log on for that same time period and go backwards.

One of those options is more easily defined as fun and worthwhile, and one is not. Except by those of us on P99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-28-2020, 08:46 AM
Banned

Default Orc Simulator 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldiri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey Everyone,
I’m a complete noob to EQ...

~Haldiri
Artist: Rainbow (Dio)
Album: Rising
Song: Stargazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
“Life is suffering. It is hard. The world is cursed. But still, you find reasons to keep on living.” -- Princess Mononoke (1997)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspectre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The roleplay aspect of your character really shines in this game too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Whether EQ is "brutal" or not depends largely on when you grew up and how good you are at video games. It's rough if you mess up a lot, or if you grew up during the "level skip y/n" millennial easymode era.

If you decide to give it a try, the community is usually quite helpful for newer players. Toxicity exists but it's mainly confined to the high-end and that small portion of the game can be wholly ignored if desired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exard3k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Games in the 90s were designed as a challenge, not entertainment.
Quote:
It very much retains a lot of 80s classic RPG genre that doesnt get much attention anymore.

https://clydecaldwell.com/paintings/

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Mblake81; 10-28-2020 at 09:06 AM..
Old 10-28-2020, 10:33 AM
Planar Protector

It’s a grindy game. Without nostalgia, you’ll likely burn out and quit before level 30.