Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 04:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yikes
Old 10-15-2020, 06:49 AM
Planar Protector

Any EQish games out lately with epic PvP?

Quote:
Old 07-27-2017, 04:40 PM
Banned

chess combines RPG and pure PvP elements along with Multiplayer mode.
Raiding in P1999 is nothing like raiding in classic.

Quote:
09-07-2013, 08:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgander View Post
It's not very much fun because there's such thing here as fair competition. Imagine if you would, a game of chess where black has the official starting pieces: 1 king, 1 queen, 2 rooks, 2 bishops, 2 knights, and 8 pawns.

Now imagine you're black, and you're playing the game against white, who's starting pieces are: 1 king, 7 queens, and 8 pawns.

Just doesn't sound like equality.
Bad analogy.

The playing field was equal to begin with. Both sides had the same pieces to use. But then when TMO kept playing, and playing well, their opponent kept leaving the game to watch TV, play Xbox, go outside, etc. Now things are unequal because TMO has all of its pieces left while their opponent is down to a king and a few pawns.

The raid scene isn't unequal just like the game of chess isn't unequal. The issue lies with the players, not the games. The chess player who stays at the game and considers his options and has studied how to play is going to beat the player who keeps running off and isn't paying attention. The p99 player who plays a lot and tracks and bought accounts/leveled is going to "beat" the player who plays casually.

Moral of the story? If you don't like getting your ass kicked in a game of chess, then find another game to play. Or I guess you could keep petitioning World Chess Federation to change the rules of the game.
http://gamestudies.org/0901/articles/lastowka

Quote:
EverQuest sits somewhere between a video game and a traditional game. On first glance, it may seem closer to Space Invaders than to golf or tennis. As in Space Invaders, the game rules of Norrath might be seen, at least at first, as those abilities and restrictions which are present in the game’s code. Indisputably, software-coded ‘rules’ do exist in Norrath, and these ‘rules’ were set by SOE. Players can, and do, break these ‘coded’ rules. This type of rule breaking is described variously as cheating, exploiting, duping, or hacking. When players engage in behaviors that “break” software code, they may also subject themselves to legal liability. As a legal matter, under laws prohibiting computer trespass, unauthorised player access to EverQuest’s code level may even amount to a crime against SOE under existing laws. Still, players often to attempt to exploit game software, and these types of behaviours have long been part of the history of online communities (see Dibbell 1998; Morningstar & Farmer 1990).

The United States Supreme Court has actually struggled with this conflict between sports and law in the case of PGA Tour, Inc. v. Martin. In that case, the Court overruled the PGA’s interpretation of the rules of golf in favor of another version of those rules as promulgated by Congress. The question was one of statutory interpretation. The PGA Tour had refused to permit golfer Casey Martin to use a golf cart to drive between holes of a golf course during play. It claimed the ‘walking rule’ of golf prohibited this action. Casey claimed that the Americans with Disabilities Act should permit him to use a golf court as a reasonable accommodation for his disability. In finding that Congress had required the PGA to ignore its own rules and to accommodate Casey, Justice Stevens based the Court’s decision upon the small importance of the ‘walking rule’ to the game. He stated that the ‘walking rule that is contained in [PGA's] hard cards, based on an optional condition buried in an appendix to the Rules of Golf, is not an essential attribute of the game itself’. Hence, Congress had apparently required the PGA to ignore this rule and privilege accomodation. Justice Scalia, in dissent, disagreed that Congress would (or should) rewrite private game rules. In defense of play’s inherent autonomy, Scalia asked:

If Norrath is viewed as a game (like golf), the law seems to minimize its expressive function. While game rules are granted some legal deference, they are not granted the legal deference accorded to texts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherSioux [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Imagine equating chess and golf to p99.
Last edited by Ennewi; 10-15-2020 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: additional links
Old 10-15-2020, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haha I got hooked into it on live at one point, I ran a party of 6 with MQ2 (dont worry im not a hacker someone who had a subscription to it was showing me how, because I was trying to box 3 characters manually and that was as much as I could handle and he introduced me to the dark underbelly of live eq. I ended up gifting him my 6 characters down the road, he was a chinese gold farmer that lived in an industrial wasteland according to google maps, or so he claimed! ...Looking back I feel like he just recruited me to level up 6 characters for him to sell but oh well haha.) but I'm not even sure I think MQ2 is like legal on live now? Idk.. but boxers all use it, no way they dont, I found every single person I was talking to used it on live at the secrets of faydwer time when I was playing... it's fun, but it is by no means everquest. It's a game about managing a squad of bots for sure.

It is nothing I would consider a "fantasy roleplaying game" its definitely more like a "bot AI machine game" like Factorio lol
lol! Might as well just play Kenshi
Old 10-15-2020, 11:15 AM
Banned

Imagine thinking a game that takes actual skill and physical ability is the same as pressing 5 keys a minute as you watch WW2 documentaries because you are a compete failure, all while slamming gamer fuel. Seek help
Old 10-15-2020, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherSioux [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Imagine thinking a game that takes actual skill and physical ability is the same as pressing 5 keys a minute as you watch WW2 documentaries because you are a compete failure, all while slamming gamer fuel. Seek help
You seem to be confused. Making a post to degrade someone is what happens in RnF. RnF is that way ------->

This is where you make a post to add something to the topic of discussion.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 10-15-2020, 11:28 AM
Banned

The place you’re referring to is actually ^
Old 10-15-2020, 11:32 AM
Banned

Ever since I saw that screenshot with the fuckin gingerbread men or whatever the hell that was I swore to never go back
Old 10-15-2020, 11:40 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Am I the only one who doesn't find boxing fun at all?
Like whats the point... It feels so annoying to do
I'm with you.. Boxing is a really really silly thing.. And kinda depressing to see humans do haha...
Old 10-15-2020, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongNpretty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm with you.. Boxing is a really really silly thing.. And kinda depressing to see humans do haha...
Man gotta be so desperate that he plays the whole damn party
or has no friends
or hates friends
or hates himself
Old 10-15-2020, 07:57 PM
Planar Protector

Never cared for running multiple characters, either. Just isn't fun. Playing EQ for fun....seems like an oft-forgotten notion by some elements of this community.

Danth
Closed Thread