Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 06:25 PM
Planar Protector

The thing people should remember when looking at Everuqest class design is Everquest was heavily inspired by Dungeons and Dragons 1.0 and 2.0. A "Shadowknight" in D&D was a character with 10 levels into Warrior, and 5 levels in to Wizard, with a focus on using necromancy spells. This means the "Shadowknight" had the same spell set as a Wizard, but having less levels into Wizard means you can't use the higher level spells. A character who leveled multiple classes in D&D also got an experience penalty.

As you can see, they basically just took the exact same idea, and simplified it a bit so you only had specific class combinations to chose from. They also simplified the range of spells you could choose from. A Shadowknight is a Warrior/Wizard, with more levels into Warrior and a focus on necromancy spells. A Paladin is a Warrior/Cleric, with more levels into Warrior. A Ranger was already defined as a specific class in D&D, but it is still basically a Warrior/Druid, with more levels into Warrior. The reason why rangers got their own class was because rangers in D&D and Everquest have a focus on using Bows, not just melee combat.

Everquest was made when video game design was still a lot less evovled. We take for granted all the stuff we know now, that the Devs didn't know back then.

Edit: Paladins were their own class as well in D&D 2.0, but they were basically a Warrior/Cleric. Shadowknights did not exist in D&D 1.0 or 2.0, so that is why I assume they decided to apply the hybrid penatly to Paladins and Rangers as well. Shadowknights kind of appeared in D&D 3.0 as the Blackguard prestige class, but that came out after Everquest had already launched.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-14-2021 at 06:51 PM..
Old 01-14-2021, 06:44 PM
Fire Giant

Take my complains with a grain of salt. I could play a more fair, or even an extremely fair version of EQ. But one thing I like about EQ is the illusion that its a world. "This is the way it is. That sucks." Leaving you to discover instead of assuming.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:53 PM
Aviak

Druids skin line should provide regen starting from Rock and improving from there. It should also provide more AC than cleric buffs.

Damage shield as a way to increase group killing efficiency just can't be compared to slow or complete heal because druids don't have enough ways to mitigate damage the tank takes.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:10 PM
Planar Protector

It would be cool if they had stronger AC components but they would still be weaker.

Regen is so OP that the SLN regen component makes it like the best spell in the game, I can hardly complain?

And druids aren't supposed to be on par with clerics healing, or shaman or enchy slowing.

I am honestly surprised how amazingly balanced the priest classes are, utility vs specific purpose use.

They really did a great job.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It would be cool if they had stronger AC components but they would still be weaker.

Regen is so OP that the SLN regen component makes it like the best spell in the game, I can hardly complain?

And druids aren't supposed to be on par with clerics healing, or shaman or enchy slowing.

I am honestly surprised how amazingly balanced the priest classes are, utility vs specific purpose use.

They really did a great job.
Gonna have to go with POTG being the best buff in the game but Druids definitely got the shaft overall. They should have been the ones who got Torpor in lieu of shamans to make up for their weak mana regeneration. Also an animal slow/mez would have been cool.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:08 PM
Fire Giant

Dex should effect bows more. Had to look up just now if they did at all. And rangers should get better bows at high levels. Maybe one plus of POP. I think it would be top heavy if ranger bow damage was OP.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:12 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also an animal slow/mez would have been cool.
I'm actually kind of glad that the developers didn't go overboard with the mobtype-restricted spells in EQ. If they had, there would have been pressure on them to design the content to suit it. If druids had been the "shaman against animals" (and same with undead for cleric/necro), there would have to be "the animal dungeon" and "the undead dungeon" and whatnot in a systematic way across the game, and it would have fostered the notion that those classes were meant to stick to that content.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noselacri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm actually kind of glad that the developers didn't go overboard with the mobtype-restricted spells in EQ. If they had, there would have been pressure on them to design the content to suit it. If druids had been the "shaman against animals" (and same with undead for cleric/necro), there would have to be "the animal dungeon" and "the undead dungeon" and whatnot in a systematic way across the game, and it would have fostered the notion that those classes were meant to stick to that content.
There could have been mobs that were classified as both undead and animal as well as dungeons containing both though types overlapping or interspersed throughout. A potential workaround to the systematic issue would have been to make Ignite Bones truly alter the target, making it undead and vulnerable to those spells, but perhaps also making it stronger in other ways as a result, sort of the opposite to the two versions of Sir Lucan, to prevent its overuse.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:49 AM
Kobold

Damage is fine IMHO, if it worked correctly.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:52 AM
Planar Protector

So.. I’m reading about shaman vs Druid.. but what about the enchanter class? So over powered. They should have made enchanters only able to charm living mobs, necro only can charm undead and druids animals. And Enc should never have gotten clarity line because they can mana tap. Rather wizard should have gotten clarity line of spells. And mage should of been able to get a better regenerate self buff to go with mod rodding for their mana regen. That would have made wizard and mage more on par with necro and enc.

But to give enc slow, haste buff, charm, mez, clarity line, and mana tap is way, way to much.
Closed Thread