Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 12:25 PM
Planar Protector

Default The best expansion for PvP

I want to say classic only.

Strong arguments for Kunark adding a few more items and some good stuff to the game in the form of Iksars, but classic pvp.. Is legit.

Anyone can participate with little effort, everything matters in classic. Wizards will land nukes. Warriors can zone dance, the world is glorious.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:28 PM
Banned

I only encountered like 3 pvp events ever so my opinion is probably invalid

but probably velious

imagine fighting through the epic halls of ToV

how cool would that be??
Old 12-16-2020, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I want to say classic only.

Strong arguments for Kunark adding a few more items and some good stuff to the game in the form of Iksars, but classic pvp.. Is legit.

Anyone can participate with little effort, everything matters in classic. Wizards will land nukes. Warriors can zone dance, the world is glorious.
I think Kunark was great for PVP honestly, a bit more spread out, but the dungeon hotspots were always the same: Guk - Sebilis - Chardok - Droga. Spell farm zones: Skyfire - Burning Wood. Not to mention anywhere people had to camp an epic spawn. I think classic probably did force more PVP due to funneling high level players, but otherwise I'd say Kunark was more "Exciting" in the flexibility of spells and added lures, epics, and DISCs cranked the "your not getting out alive" factor up, especially since running to a zoneout in Kunark dungeons was typically more difficult. I get a hardon remembering ganking crypt on the old rogueroo.

Included Guk because people still farmed FBSS's all the time.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:40 PM
Planar Protector

Faydwer
Old 12-16-2020, 12:43 PM
Planar Protector

Vanilla is definitely the best. Everyone is capping out at like barely over 100 magic resist means casters still have a chance.

Base stats mean a whole lot more so ogres are extra strong in vanilla era because no one is capping out anything. I think this is a - but its worth noting.

Kunark second best
Velious third best

Will not evaluate post Velious expansions.

One of worst things about kunark is that it makes the human monk second class citizen. It used to be cool that a monk had to be a basic human and had basically no gear at all. Kunark comes out and the get geared to the teeth and have regen and extra mitigation and freaking night vision. Pretty plz. Worst part of kunark. Poor humans.

Only bad thing about vanilla is the game is so much smaller that everyone can totally BIS max out without a zillion years of poop socking. I think this is a positive but I would hate to see too many people just quit for nothing else to do on their characters besides roll alts and max them out too.

A vanilla server should have legacy items in place always or removed completely so that it isn't dumb. Lustrous russet is up for debate. Rubicite obviously stays in. Manastone is up for debate.

I don't think theres any perfect set up thats why you gotta enjoy each era while it lasts.
Lost but not forgotten.
Last edited by Gustoo; 12-16-2020 at 12:57 PM..
Old 12-16-2020, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think Kunark was great for PVP honestly, a bit more spread out, but the dungeon hotspots were always the same: Guk - Sebilis - Chardok - Droga. Spell farm zones: Skyfire - Burning Wood. Not to mention anywhere people had to camp an epic spawn. I think classic probably did force more PVP due to funneling high level players, but otherwise I'd say Kunark was more "Exciting" in the flexibility of spells and added lures, epics, and DISCs cranked the "your not getting out alive" factor up, especially since running to a zoneout in Kunark dungeons was typically more difficult. I get a hardon remembering ganking crypt on the old rogueroo.

Included Guk because people still farmed FBSS's all the time.
ya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Vanilla is definitely the best. Everyone is capping out at like barely over 100 magic resist means casters still have a chance.

Base stats mean a whole lot more so ogres are extra strong in vanilla era because no one is capping out anything. I think this is a - but its worth noting.

Kunark second best
Velious third best

Will not evaluate post Velious expansions.

One of worst things about kunark is that it makes the human monk second class citizen. It used to be cool that a monk had to be a basic human and had basically no gear at all. Kunark comes out and the get geared to the teeth and have regen and extra mitigation and freaking night vision. Pretty plz. Worst part of kunark. Poor humans.

Only bad thing about vanilla is the game is so much smaller that everyone can totally BIS max out without a zillion years of poop socking. I think this is a positive but I would hate to see too many people just quit for nothing else to do on their characters besides roll alts and max them out too.

A vanilla server should have legacy items in place always or removed completely so that it isn't dumb. Lustrous russet is up for debate. Rubicite obviously stays in. Manastone is up for debate.

I don't think theres any perfect set up thats why you gotta enjoy each era while it lasts.
--- minus's are important too

than again i don't think a high elf paladin with only 90 str is horribly gimped in classic where people have at most 3k hp and jousting is always key to a melee players strength more than anything else, ogres are not going to have 255 str unless buffed in classic/vanilla either, especially if using resists or +HP, I always used yaulp on my half elf paladin. I had a baton of faith that hit pretty hard in pvp. On my ranger in vanilla, I was able to duel a troll warrior and SK in my 20's in unrest. So all seemed fair and fine to me.

+kunark adds some nice stuff for knights and kinda was the best balanced place in EQ for me, overall, Lures for wizards are a big +
-Iksars did wreck human monks, but what can ya do
-the spread of players, and that the planes/planar stuff became sorta secondary to epics and people started playing their class 'for the epic' not the class.

I think fast paced quick fights and danger is what makes EQ pvp more fun, and when fights take upwards of 10 minutes or are just plain unwinnable its not as fun. So any expansion were wizards, druids, necros, can all blast people, even if thats just an alt, is a good expansion for me.

It takes upwards of years to get 'god gear' in velious and yet stuff like a primal bow can wreck someone even in god gear, but someone who started two months ago, is just going to quit unless they make friends, and don't mind losing, being a decoy in a bigger fight.

-----

i know it's straying into custom territory but stuff like DE masks should probably not be in either on a vanilla pvp server, make ogres pay for being fat, gives people a better reason to twink a dark elf war.

agree + rubicite -lusterous, can't judge manastones, but prior to fungi and wizard epics, they aren't as good as ppl make them out, are really just a druid/cleric raid item.
Last edited by magnetaress; 12-16-2020 at 01:21 PM..
Old 12-16-2020, 01:27 PM
Planar Protector

I think most of us (at this point) agree that despite being really cool (no pun intended) velious is a little much for EQ PVP because the depth of that gear gap. It just takes so much time to collect all of the stupid All/All +10 all stats items that these high dragons start to drop.

But then again if its seasonal and we get a new server ever 3 or 4 years I am kinda good with running the classic timeline, whoever is on top in velious era gets there short era of glory and eventually the red99 recycle server will have a ton of BIS velious guys to kill eachother and it will be deep pvp in the halls of vallhalla with maximum gear.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think most of us (at this point) agree that despite being really cool (no pun intended) velious is a little much for EQ PVP because the depth of that gear gap. It just takes so much time to collect all of the stupid All/All +10 all stats items that these high dragons start to drop.

But then again if its seasonal and we get a new server ever 3 or 4 years I am kinda good with running the classic timeline, whoever is on top in velious era gets there short era of glory and eventually the red99 recycle server will have a ton of BIS velious guys to kill eachother and it will be deep pvp in the halls of vallhalla with maximum gear.
Praying for this. I want to see it again. Maybe I'm chasing the dragon too, but this is one of the (minor) many reasons I'm using to motivate staying alive through 21. Even if it's just over pixels.

In +vanilla mages are a pretty decent class.
Last edited by magnetaress; 12-16-2020 at 01:37 PM..
Old 12-16-2020, 01:56 PM
Sarnak

Vanilla
Kunark
Velious
Planes of Power
Luclin
Old 12-16-2020, 02:05 PM
Planar Protector

Ugh on rallos zek mages were insanely difficult. With zero magic resist that earth pet just destroys and you are perma rooted just getting exploded on all day.

Back in the good old bad old days, the mage could sick his pet on you, and the guards wouldn't do anything even if you were sitting there resting up. Then if you attacked the pet, the guards would kill you. It didn't feel like justice.

But yeah they are really solid zone death patrol in vanilla. If you have a buddy with a mage to sit on the other side of the zone line you're even better off.
Lost but not forgotten.
Closed Thread