Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 01:40 PM
Planar Protector

I love rolling in rags.

I love chasing people down when you see that off color silver BP that you know is an ikky regen.

And you just hope when they pull their DJARNS it will be right on server tick and they will survive the ring pull and you can kill the death stroke, and loot that Djarns, which was always pretty high priced.

You can hunt twinks. Its hilarious and great fun.

And yeah when you're raiding dragons your friends can help you out, and you mostly get geared in no drop by then anyways.

In ALL INSTANCES a low level character is GARBAGE on pvp, but only with item loot is there a plus side. Let me explain

1. No item loot, 4 level range. Twinks are unstoppable and there is no reason to fight them, you just get killed and go some where else till they log off. Lowbies have bad time just wanna level up. You are in rags anyways.
2. No item loot, infinite pvp range. Twinks for PK don't exist, they just get killed by high levels so the twinks are just for grinding and occasional murder. Lowbies still have bad time, just wanna level up. You are in rags anyways.
3. Item loot, 4 level range. Twinks for PK exist, but they risk their armor. They are worth killing. Your shitty rags and banded armor are not worth hunting. IF the twink is super strong, he has items worth taking. You try to kill him and occasionally you succeed in kill shot, and get loot.

NOW for high levels.

1. No item loot, 4 level range - Doesn't matter
2. No item loot, infinite range - Doesn't matter
3. Item loot, 4 level range - You have a lot of no drop gear to choose from, so you do fine. When you raid you equip droppable resist gear.

The only argument against item loot is by high level guys that don't want to lose their fungi tunics. The only other argument against item loot is by VELIOUS high level people that are getting shit stomped by fully skyshrine + + + geared invincible full no drop +10 to all stats guys and they have no way to even attempt to gear up to compete.

So like, we can just not go to velious, that's fine.

At this point having no item loot just seems completely stupid. Sorry you don't get to wear a rubicite BP all the time. Its great having the platinum economy way way more balanced and these farmable droppable items are significantly devalued. It makes the server better.

It's different for sure, but the game play is better.

The argument that casters win is silly because a naked meleee on vanilla has almost identical resists to a rags geared one, meaning almost all spells land for almost 100%. That is a problem that doesn't go away.

On LIVE 100 MR meant CC basically didn't land. We would need to do tiered resists of some kind because there just isn't any resist gear on Vanilla and then in kunark if you leave resists in place I think casters might get pretty neutered. It needs a close look.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:58 PM
Planar Protector

I’d support item loot. It can be harsh but also a lot of fun. It also opens up a new economic option through extortion. I played on a item loot wow server a while back and had a blast charging people a toll to ride the zeppelin or a tax to farm mobs in select areas. Tolls and taxes was a entirely new aspect of the game and really gave ya something to do every day when ya weren’t raiding.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:02 PM
Planar Protector

I am excited about your support.

The only EQ server with item loot and no level range was "Discord" the permadeath server that came fairly late in the timeline of EQ. Otherwise, item loot was always with the 4 level pvp range which somewhat limits the success of extortion, like a level 60 can't tell a level 20 to give him 5pp or else he will kill and take his banded BP anyways.

But if you can figure out a good way to extort please feel free.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:08 PM
Planar Protector

The reason sullon zek rules are best for a no item loot scenario are because it allows level 60's to kill OOR healers and stuff, and the teams would encourage level 60's to defend the lowbies on their team. When there is no item loot, it doesn't matter if you're getting smashed by an equal level twink or a high level guy just rolling thoruhg, you are still getting smashed and there is no reason to try to be victorious against these players, since its just a waste of your EXP grind time. So it might as well be sullon rules (no pvp range) because it has some advantages. You can also root and kill low level out of range players that would try to train you and such.

What we have now in p99 is kinda the worst of both worlds which I have been whining like a baby about since the beginning. High levels have OOR problems they can't solve. Low levels have Twink problems not worth fighting.

So I think its either item loot 4 level range or no level range no item loot + teams.

I mean overall we have no population so that is the biggest problem that a new server will solve but a fresh and fun ruleset will give people a great place to play. I do think that teams will give really fresh players to EQ pvp a safe place. Humans and half elfs will be rightfully distrusted which seems to fit with EQ Role playing. Iksar (maybe) also can be on either side which also fits their slimey lizard nature.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:02 PM
Banned

Sullon Zek was my home so I will always have a bias. When I say RZ rule servers, I usually speak of no item loot but I guess I could withstand that. I usually just mean red style with 6-8 level above and bellow, or whatever it is. I thought RZ was just from inventory. Back to Sullon though, statistically the fundamental of 3 teams should be better than that of WoW. Two teams is just an imbalance waiting to happen. On 3, the other 1 can at least check the super power. I'm surprised wow hasn't thought of it yet. With that recent expansion, I'd rather release new races for a new faction. But then there is always the problem of what I did. A rogue renegade with no guild just out to PK. It would make the good team look bad. So maybe an ability to kick them from a team? That might not be best though, may hurt feelings.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:13 PM
Planar Protector

Some of the best screenshots shortly after red launch was an ogre warrior/SK going at some elves outside Crushbone with a rusty scythe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-22-2020, 05:14 PM
Planar Protector

A little too complex Saxon.

Sullon had heavy imbalance and I think that is why we want to try 2 teams to make it a bit more straight forward. Also 3 teams makes it hard to get all teams the right classes. Sullon Zek to outsiders is most known for being heavily permanently imbalanced in favor of evil team and the same would be the case here.

Rallos zek was +-4 for its history, but on this server there was originally a variable PVP level range that was later switched to the steady 4 that we have now. May have been switched at the same time they removed the PVP exp death and I believe tinkered with the resists.

I wanna say that was 100 years ago and the last time R99 was touched. Not sure tho.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some of the best screenshots shortly after red launch was an ogre warrior/SK going at some elves outside Crushbone with a rusty scythe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Theres nothing better.

One of my fond memories was fighting an erudite wizard and enchanter duo on the wooden planks of kelethin. They were level 12, and I mostly lost. Titaly and Winks. Mega props if you can positively identify yourself as the OP of those players. Or Jooke or Jookes who were different level 10 rogue PKs
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:23 PM
Project Manager

I'm surprised this idea still has traction.

It was mostly a question as to whether any server had tried region-based teams. At the time, I was considering a stronghold type situation of antonica vs faydwer. Are the leveling dungeons balanced in comparison? Would Grobb be the hub of east side/would they control guk?
Old 12-22-2020, 05:23 PM
Banned

Sorry, just talking fast. Sometimes I hate thinking about my words. I guess in that sense two teams could work. I still think player cities could bring a level playing field for everyone. Also in shadowbane there were mine fights. A mine can give a certain resource. But once you have it you have it for a X given time. Maybe if one guild is only on at a certain time then another guild can get resources for their city. I realize thats for another game but /shrugs. I guess two teams might work, would be cool if there was something else to level the playing field though.

I also thought, for super everquest; NPC cities could be conquered too. But also its like a random hurricane. Sometimes the NPCs can revolt and take back their city. Also, if good team dies, then there is a small chance they can get back Felwithe.
Last edited by Ret.SaxonAlex; 12-22-2020 at 05:32 PM..
Closed Thread