Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 12:18 AM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to LazyHydras
Default Just got a nice ribeye steak in the fridge. . .

How would you cook it if you were me? I can use a natural gas grill or a cast-iron skillet. Or the oven, I guess, but why would you do a steak in the oven? idk

Nephinine - 60 Iksar Necromancer

Krystaps - 60 Iksar Warrior

Remember. . . Iksar is the master race.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:19 AM
Banned

I would steal it and take it hostage

manastone or you starve tonight
Old 01-12-2021, 12:43 AM
Planar Protector

flip a coin for the first two options <3
Old 01-12-2021, 02:50 AM
Fire Giant

Very hot pan or grill you gotta sear it real gud man or it will be not excellent
Old 01-12-2021, 09:40 AM
Sarnak

I was thinking about just putting it on the grill, but sometimes I get flare-ups because I really need to clean the grill. Maybe the skillet on the grill so I don't smoke up the house?

Old 01-12-2021, 09:52 AM
Planar Protector

Flare-ups = flavor imho.

-Mcoy
Old 01-12-2021, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHydras [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How would you cook it if you were me? I can use a natural gas grill or a cast-iron skillet. Or the oven, I guess, but why would you do a steak in the oven? idk
cast-iron skillet.

Personally prefer charcoal.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:18 AM
Banned

Mass produced red meat is horrible for you, throw it in the garbage
Old 01-12-2021, 10:50 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHydras [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Season with salt and pepper in advance and let it get to room temperature. Season that bitch a lot, probably more than you think you should if you don't cook steak that often or season your steaks that often.

Get the cast iron nice and hot. Depending on thickness, cook to your desired doneness (medium rare obviously).

Once both sides are seared, drop a knob of butter in, crush 2 cloves of garlic and chuck those in, drop a bit of thyme and rosemary in, take a spoon and baste each side until its ready to come off the pan. Use a meat thermometer in the center to check the doneness, its easier than trying to feel it and feeling it can lie to you. The temp never lies.

Let the steak rest for ~5 minutes, place the garlic/rosemary/thyme on top while it rests.

I've since stopped using cast iron, so it's been awhile, the last ribeye I cooked was in thick stainless steel which is similar-ish. I cooked each side about 4-5 minutes, then began basting for one minute on each side, then let rest, and that came out a pretty perfect medium to medium rare.

For sides, I like taking small potatoes that come in those bags, dice into quarters, put in a bowl, mix some olive oil in, add salt, pepper, maybe something fun like cayenne pepper, mix it all up, bake on parchment paper in the oven at 400 for 20-22 minutes.

Then, while the steak is resting, cut some broccoli florets in half, cook them in the same pan you used to cook the steak but drop the heat down to low/low-medium. You don't want to burn them, you just want to get color on them until they're bright green and get a little bit softer. Mix them up and around to get all that shit in the pan on them. Don't parboil them or anything, just pan fry them, fuck parboiling them it makes them taste like water and they're soft as fuck, just pan fry them to retain their flavor and crunch until bright, vibrant green.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:38 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Flower [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mass produced red meat is horrible for you, throw it in the garbage
Who said anything about mass-produced?

Closed Thread