Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintmaster [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There must be people who actually LIKE that kind of crush as if it is a magnet. Most zones that I have played in over the past 4 years are never busy, and if they are I move on. The camps that you mentioned I NEVER camped on p99 OR Live. There are just too many other places to go on EQ. There are players who like groups, duos, solo, camps, and raids. If all you want to do is CAMP, ehh more power to you...for me that's more boring than grinding out XP. Ultimately I still hold that having another server will open up MORE opportunities rather than fewer.

Which brings me back to the original reason for my thread. My question was directed toward our wonderful development team and whether there will ever be a new Pre Kunark Server in the future. I for one would love to play one. I guess people can always find a reason NOT to have one "Oh it will be overcrowded" or "Oh no one will want to play that". I would just like to know if there are any plans for one in the future.

If anyone from or illustrious development team reads my humble post please let me know if there is any hope or plans for one.
There will be a new pre-kunark (and then Kunark, and then Velious) server: it's the entire point of the project. To recap, Project 1999 exists to re-create "classic" EverQuest as faithfully as possible. But no one wants to wait a decade for the staff to get everything perfect, and even if they did the staff still wouldn't get everything right, because they'd have no beta testers.

Thus, the Blue (beta) server was created. In a sense Blue is where the devs test all that classic EQ code they've been working on. But because Blue serves that purpose, it can never be a true re-creation of classic EQ. Just one glaring example: the Kunark expansion lasted seven years on Blue, but less than one on live.

Therefore, the goal of the project isn't Blue, its "Green" (player name for the server, not the staff's name). Green is understood to be a server which will start out the way EQ did on day one in 1999, and it will then progress along the classic timeline. When it hits the end after 2-3 years it will "reset" somehow, but no one knows the details (eg. all the characters on it might get moved to Blue, or they might not).

But Green won't be launched until all of the classic code is ready, and the devs haven't even completed the Chardok 2.0 patch yet. Once they do they'll have to fix bugs found in it, they'll have to code the remaining (smaller) patches that came after Chardok 2.0 but before Luclin, and (my theory is that this will be the biggest amount of work) they'll have to go back through all the things they put off fixing over the years, and fix them.

Once all of that is done (and just based on previous progress you can expect that to take years, plural) we will all get our "New Pre-Kunark Server" ... just don't hold your breath waiting for it.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 12-05-2018 at 03:00 PM..
Old 12-05-2018, 06:03 PM
Orc

Lol @Loramin. How many times have you had to answer the OP asking whether/when green will be hosted? You’ve saintly patience
Old 12-05-2018, 06:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daallee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol @Loramin. How many times have you had to answer the OP asking whether/when green will be hosted? You’ve saintly patience
Many, many times. But I'm not sure that it's saintly patience so much as an unhealthy desire to procrastinate on doing real work by posting yet another explanation of Green to the forum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daallee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-05-2018, 07:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintmaster [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I recall correctly it has been about 2 and a half years since the big event in North Ro to roll out Velious. There was discussion at that time about a Discord server and at some point when all of the Velious patches are in place to creating a new Pre Kunark Server. I have been checking the forums from time to time and have seen no mention of a Pre Kunark server. Unfortunately I discovered both EQ Live and p99 too late to ever play a true Pre Kunark EQ. I even tried Ragfire for about 3 weeks and was very disappointed with both the mix of old and new content and the 6 boxer and 8 boxer cloned characters.

I love p99 and have enjoyed the past 3 years immensely. Are there any plans for a future roll out of a new Pre Kunark server? Even better it would have all the bugs ironed out that plagued early EQ Live and p99.
Always a fan, Mintmaster
its never going to happen unfortunately. Ive been questing these forums for several years now, and seems about once a week (if not more), someone posts that they would like to see a new server. There is definitely enough interest in a new server, whether that be Red Reborn, Green, or something like what you mentioned.

I think the reason that we wont get a new server is that Daybreak has put the kibash on it. I can only guess that DB is allowing P99 blue and Red to exist, but any new servers will call for legal action.

All that said, if there is another server, the only change i would like to see is instead of different character names for each toon, just one name for all characters on an account.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the reason that we wont get a new server is that Daybreak has put the kibash on it. I can only guess that DB is allowing P99 blue and Red to exist, but any new servers will call for legal action.
That's an interesting theory you have. Except ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llandris
Quote:
Originally Posted by teai
Is it a rumor or can it be confirmed that Daybreak gave permission to let P99 continue but only if they agreed 100% to never produce a new server or "Wipe" and restart their server because of the money cow progression servers have turned out to be.
Sounds like a rumor to me

Old 12-06-2018, 01:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's an interesting theory you have. Except ...
I don't think it's something the devs would want to publicize, even openly admit. The thought of no additional server could be damaging for the future of p99.

I still think I am right, even if it is conjecture.

I'd prefer to be wrong though
Old 12-06-2018, 05:37 AM
Banned

Because Rise of Zek was so healthy when it split the population.

I would like to thank PvPers to finally be useful for something, even if it was as a warning to everyone else.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:38 AM
Banned

Wait, this isnt RnF. God damnit im ganna get banned now.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:27 AM
Fire Giant

There appears to be two newish classic era servers at the moment, one being eqreborn

They are blue though