Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Question about xp penalty in groups

Hello!

I am playing a Troll Sk, gf playing HEF cleric. I get -68, she gets +-0.

Can someone please explain to me roughly how these three scenarios will pan out?

We kill a mob thats higher than us both. (me 13, she 10, mob 15)

We kill a mob that is between our level. (me 13, she 10, mob 12)

We kill a mob thats below both of our levels. (me 13, she 10, mob 8)

Just the basics so I get an idea of what to hunt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Thanks in advance
Old 02-25-2014, 04:42 PM
Sarnak

Depends on how efficiently you can kill the mob and the downtime between them. Killing a higher level mob with the same amount of downtime of a lower level mob would be the way to go.

It all really comes down to keeping your downtime at a bare minimum and constant reliable kills/pulls going.
Tander - 55th Half Elf Bard

The Mystical Order || See what I'm Selling/Buying || Nagrith's JBoots MQ Service
Old 02-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

The exp from every kill is reduced 68% than split between you and the cleric. You'll level at the same rate so long as every kill is grouped. The most efficient way to level would be to find a high dps class like a rogue or enchanter w/ charmed pet and have them DPS the mobs you're tanking. The ideal exp is as Lyrith mentioned. Minimum downtime, constant kills.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:17 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecompte [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The exp from every kill is reduced 68% than split between you and the cleric.
This is absolutely incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecompte [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You'll level at the same rate so long as every kill is grouped.
This is correct.

For the skinny on xp penalties, please read the my post which is linked within the FAQ stickied at the top of the Library forum.

Link to FAQ... http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002

Link to my post... http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24405
Last edited by Dumesh Uhl'Belk; 02-25-2014 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: added links
Old 02-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumesh Uhl'Belk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is absolutely incorrect.
That sounds like a damn nightmare. More than three times the kills to exp just because one character in the group is a troll SK? no one would group these, ever.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Fire Giant

As far as I can tell, the exp is equal to as if the highest level character solo'd it (because if it's green to one person, no one gets exp) and then that experience is split amongst the group. The racial penalty is divided throughout the group so you would get 34% less exp and she would get 34% less exp. Then the group exp bonus (2% per member) would increase it.

So, if you (highest level) kill a mob that yields (figuratively) 100 xp points if you solo'd it, you would both receive (100/n) * (1-%penalty/n) * 1.02.

n = people in group.

Might be wrong, though.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
The exp from every kill is reduced 68%.
Huh? I don't think you worded that correctly.

Experience is divided based on total experience of the characters in question. It doesn't matter what level mobs you kill; it works the same regardless. The game doesn't care what level you are either**, only how much experience you have. A Troll Shadow Knight has 68% more experience than a High Elf Cleric of the same level, so it receives proportionally more experience from a battle. However, since the Troll requires that much more experience to level, the two characters level at the same rate while grouped.

Try to keep your girlfriend's Cleric equal level or better relative to your Shadow Knight if possible. Increasing a character's experience total is the only way of improving its cut of the experience while grouped. The fastest way to level is to keep busy and minimize downtime. With a Shadow Knight/Cleric duo you'll tend to favor fighting undead when possible because it'll make your damage spells and fears more efficient.

**Assuming blue-con or higher mobs. Light blues or green monsters to the highest groupmate of course have diminished or no returns.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 02-25-2014 at 05:25 PM..
Old 02-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox7d [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...stuff...Might be wrong, though.
No need to speculate. Read my post in the FAQ
Old 02-25-2014, 05:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Huh? I don't think you worded that correctly.

Experience is divided based on total experience of the characters in question. It doesn't matter what level mobs you kill; it works the same regardless. The game doesn't care what level you are either**, only how much experience you have. A Troll Shadow Knight has 68% more experience than a High Elf Cleric of the same level, so it receives proportionally more experience from a battle. However, since the Troll requires that much more experience to level, the two characters level at the same rate while grouped.

Try to keep your girlfriend's Cleric equal level or better relative to your Shadow Knight if possible. Increasing a character's experience total is the only way of improving its cut of the experience while grouped. The fastest way to level is to keep busy and minimize downtime. With a Shadow Knight/Cleric duo you'll tend to favor fighting undead when possible because it'll make your damage spells and fears more efficient.

**Assuming blue-con or higher mobs. Light blues or green monsters to the highest groupmate of course have diminished or no returns.

Danth
The one thing I've never quite understood is, what happens if both characters group starting at level 1 and neither of them kills a single mob solo? It would stand to reason that they'd end up splitting the xp 50/50 because they both have 0 xp to start with. This would mean that the cleric would gain levels faster than the SK because their XP totals are the same, but the total xp required to level for the cleric is significantly lower than the SK. Eventually the cleric would outlevel the SK to the point where they couldn't gain xp together anymore.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Old 02-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalzy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The one thing I've never quite understood is, what happens if both characters group starting at level 1 and neither of them kills a single mob solo? It would stand to reason that they'd end up splitting the xp 50/50 because they both have 0 xp to start with. This would mean that the cleric would gain levels faster than the SK because their XP totals are the same, but the total xp required to level for the cleric is significantly lower than the SK. Eventually the cleric would outlevel the SK to the point where they couldn't gain xp together anymore.
An interesting corner case. I would be happy to spend a coupe hours testing it with you one day. It should work the way you are describing it though.
Closed Thread