Old 06-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Fire Giant

loook! look at the old skeleton models.. <3 <3

[50 Warrior] Rumzuck Umbatsch (Ogre) <Remedy>
[34 Druid] Vito Corleone (Wood Elf) <Europa>
[35 Necromancer] Torak (Dark Elf) <Europa>
[13 Shadow Knight] Rumzerg (Dark Elf) <Europa>

EQEmuLauncher
Have your files up to date, switch between servers nice and easy, and more!
http://moestaverne.com/

Old 06-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Sarnak

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The first GM I ever saw. Also, if you look at my target you'll notice it's Kesh Bludborn who is apparently also on the P99 server according to the player list.

Server event in the first month or two after public EQ Launch

Rocking out in Befallen

Twin dwarves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zordana [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
loook! look at the old skeleton models.. <3 <3
I'm with ya. The old skeleton models were a ton better than the revamped ones. I see now why everyone calls Sony the "Destroyer of Worlds". I quit EQ shortly after Velious due to RL. But I was there for SWG when they screwed that pooch.
Last edited by PhelanKA; 06-26-2010 at 11:55 AM..
Old 06-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm with ya. The old skeleton models were a ton better than the revamped ones. I see now why everyone calls Sony the "Destroyer of Worlds". I quit EQ shortly after Velious due to RL. But I was there for SWG when they screwed that pooch.
Moreso than old skeleton models, I want old wolf ones too = (
Old 06-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Fire Giant

I had tons of these... Dont know what happened to them

Now I only have a few. =(

I do have my first trip to karanas for a guild meeting with my first guild at the bridge.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywolf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I sure do like that old GMUD style UI [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I used to have pics of it, I'll borrow yours [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Ok i'm putting the nostalgia (about the client) to rest. Some things in eq's history should stay dead.

I've actually worked on client code in an open source project. I worked on the client interface. I have to admit here that the old eq UI was just primitive, based on my experience. It was inflexible. It honestly looks like an alpha or early beta UI, the time period in which you're just trying to get the basics working in code and on screen. Mature GUI's allow for custom setups and have lots of transparency effects. People mistake its primitive state as some kind of benefit or choice. It wasn't optional - it was the early development phase.

Having the spellbook block your view when you med is not the same thing. That's a game-play choice. Personally, I don't see the reasoning for it. It seems kind of random to me. No point to it. I mean, I could see the reasoning if the player was actually doing something useful in the spell book that helped the group function. Casters, more so than melees, are medding in groups. A pause in the action made worse by the fact that there's no visual stimuli to feed interest levels. Casters that're medding are more effectively used if they can see the group as they med so that they can develop better strategies and see where the group is going wrong. A different spell system could have used the spellbook more actively, even during combat, so that when they med there'd be things to do in it. Reasoning was absent. I wouldn't even say flawed.

That's what I think of the old client. Just a bunch of ballyhoo. Truth is it was a client in its formative stage.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 06-29-2010 at 11:43 PM..
Old 07-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok i'm putting the nostalgia (about the client) to rest. Some things in eq's history should stay dead.

I've actually worked on client code in an open source project. I worked on the client interface. I have to admit here that the old eq UI was just primitive, based on my experience. It was inflexible. It honestly looks like an alpha or early beta UI, the time period in which you're just trying to get the basics working in code and on screen. Mature GUI's allow for custom setups and have lots of transparency effects. People mistake its primitive state as some kind of benefit or choice. It wasn't optional - it was the early development phase.

Having the spellbook block your view when you med is not the same thing. That's a game-play choice. Personally, I don't see the reasoning for it. It seems kind of random to me. No point to it. I mean, I could see the reasoning if the player was actually doing something useful in the spell book that helped the group function. Casters, more so than melees, are medding in groups. A pause in the action made worse by the fact that there's no visual stimuli to feed interest levels. Casters that're medding are more effectively used if they can see the group as they med so that they can develop better strategies and see where the group is going wrong. A different spell system could have used the spellbook more actively, even during combat, so that when they med there'd be things to do in it. Reasoning was absent. I wouldn't even say flawed.

That's what I think of the old client. Just a bunch of ballyhoo. Truth is it was a client in its formative stage.
From a RPG aspect, I fully understand what they were aiming for: Arcane magic users had to consult their books each day to rememorize spells and divine casters had to pray to their deities to regain their spells. Since the game had a mana bar; memorization wasn't of the focal importance, regeneration of mana was. To tie the two together, they imposed the book that simulated studying or praying to regain what had been spent. The UI was intentional & it was a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Sarnak

Nice pictures.

Makes me wish I never lost mine.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Sarnak

Nice pics....too bad P1999 raiding is a poopsock
Closed Thread