Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 02-16-2014, 09:00 PM
Fire Giant

At some point it was changed so you didnt have to worry about order or casting your invis while the other invis was being cast. But I know at least pre kunark you had to do it this way. I didnt use this tatic again until I started my druid which was PoP and by that time it didnt matter.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Project Manager

Could this be related to invis stacking?

Quote:
------------------------------
May 30, 2001
** Spell and Song Changes and Bug Fixes **

- We've been fixing holes in the spell stacking code. For the most part
the changes fix bugs that allowed tricks to get spells to stack that
were never intended to stack.
If not, does anyone know what this refers to?
Old 03-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Planar Protector

http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/show...s+stack+undead

Jan 2000
Quote:
Try it the other way around.. have someone invis themselves then cast invis vs. undead. Used to be it would work either way, yet another undocumented, unnotified "feature".
Quote:
I haven't had much luck getting this to work with the wizard and enchanter spell 'invisibility' doesn't want to stack,
BUT try using the Camoflague line of spells that Rangers/Druids get.. this stacks nicely.. just have the camo cast first and then the invis undead cast...

Just what I've noticed...
Quote:
yes a magician has cast invis on themselves then i have cast invis to undead on them and they stack so that spell line will stack you just have to cast normal invis first

Ahh I see Ele already posted this link...
Old 03-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

For what it's worth, I remember Shauri's as always stacking with IVU. I was main puller for my groups.

Red99
Old 12-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Fire Giant

I could be convinced that there were some obscure tricks to get invis and IVU to stack - probably involving a bard - and I would not be surprised if IVU not stacking with invisibility vs. camouflage did not happen at the same time...

BUT, we've had it way too easy for way too long here on P99... and as a rogue I find it even a little insulting.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:00 PM
Developer

I remember this. Spells like resist cold, would stack with druid resist buffs. Only lowwest level resist cold would stack.

H
Old 12-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember this. Spells like resist cold, would stack with druid resist buffs. Only lowwest level resist cold would stack.
Unlikely during p99's target era: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=170483
Old 01-17-2018, 12:27 AM
Planar Protector

I believe I've located some information relative to this thread...

These are EQ developer comments from Gordon Wrinn on 8/27/2000:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010822...ve/arc59.shtml
Quote:
A Bug?

[Quote from original post: I play on the tribunal and informed a guide about the presence of this bug and was told they are investigating the problem. The bug is as follows, Normally i as a cleric could cast invis vs undead on myself and them have REGULAr invis cast upon and they would stack just fine. Since the last patch the msg "You are allready invisible" is given when attempting this. Could you please give an update so we know if this bug has even made it too the right people and when it might be completed. Thank You Much]

It's not a bug. No class (except for rogues) can be invisible to both living and undead regardless of spells or abilities. So even though the spells would appear to stack, the recipient of the spell would only be under the affect of one spell.

A few weeks ago, I asked the coder to make the spells unstackable so that they didn't give the impression that being invisible to both is possible.
Next comment also from Gordon on 10/6/2000. Not as concrete as above, just more speaking to the intention of not allowing this to happen:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010822...ve/arc49.shtml
Quote:
Invisbility and the Undead

[Quote from original post: I thought I once read a post by you stating that no class had both forms of invisibility becuase that would be too powerfull and would make travel anywhere too easy. ]

The rogue is the only class that has the ability to be invisible to both the undead and living at the same time. The other classes that have both spells cannot have them both up at the same time.
Take these posts for what they are worth.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:06 PM
Kobold

Quote:
May 30, 2001
** Spell and Song Changes and Bug Fixes **

- We've been fixing holes in the spell stacking code. For the most part
the changes fix bugs that allowed tricks to get spells to stack that
were never intended to stack.

If not, does anyone know what this refers to?
I think this refers to the bards ability to stack a proc tash with a casted tash. Or a stacking lava diamond with casted DS
Old 11-12-2018, 09:01 AM
Planar Protector

I have a few more relevant tidbits to add to this thread.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=375
Quote:
Apr 16 2002
I was on my way to Rivervale and I ran into one of these guys with camo, invis vs animals, invis vs undead, and regular invis on and it definately seen me and i took refuge in a house for a minute. Next thing i know here he is, walking through walls beating me up as i try to cast gate. Son i killed over and was on a 5 zone corpse run. BTW Im only a level 11 druid, only leveling off of turning in gnoll fangs, so I wasn't too strong at the time.
Quote:
Mar 06 2004
You cannot have had all those types of invis on you. You can have 1 type of spell invis,and 1 bard invis, max, sorry, your post is bullsh*t
I found the mention of a bard invis + spell invis interesting, as this tends to make sense with various bard tricks. Comments out of era, but for what its worth.

I also located this, a January 13, 2000 dev Q&A chat session. A player asked about a bug regarding invisibility 'dropping' after being casted on, despite showing the icon still on screen:
http://web.archive.org/web/200206182...eq_bugchat.asp
Quote:
<soy> Question : *Sam* When you're invisible and a spell (like clarity) is cast on you, or a bard is in the party singing a song, your invisibility goes away-- even though the icon is still on the screen. Basically, monsters can see you while players can't. Why is that?
<EQ_Aradune> it's a known bug and on the list to be fixed. <end>
What's interesting to the above is it correlates to the other developer question / response I posted earlier about someone posting about using Double Invis.

Seems as if spells casted on you after being invis kept the icon visible on the client, but the server did not recognize your invisibility (even though players could not see you).

nilbog, I know you mentioned your 'fear line up' was to double invis and you were convinced it should stack. I hope you are open to the possibility that this bug could have given the illusion they stacked as both icons remained up, yet only 1 of them was working.

There are other classic mechanics that can explain why some may not have been seen such as proper 'awareness / proximity range', where if you ran by a creature fast enough at the proper time then there was a chance that they wouldn't agro. This could further feed into the illusion that the Double Invis was working, when in fact people just got lucky.

If there is the belief that various timing and spell orders maybe helped to work and you want to maintain that on P99, perhaps it can be balanced with a random probability that your first invis 'drops' to monsters only after receiving your 2nd invis. You wouldn't know until you conned a creature.