Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 07:23 AM
Large Bat

Talking IP exemption went through! Two complete newbies ready to embark

Can finally play with my SO! Any tips on party play? Do we basically just put on our killing shoes, /invite to party, /autosplit and get to stabbin'?

I have made a wood elf druid that I just got to lvl 3 yesterday. Just wanted to get my foot a little bit in the door before I dive in with my SO this weekend. My SO rolled a Wood Elf Rogue last week just so the exemption can go through (its a requirement). Will a druid and rogue be a good team?

Had some memorable moments already and I've never felt so accomplished to reach lvl 3 in a game lol. Had a very kind player on the green server retrieve my body for me because I got super lost and went inside a hut where 3-4 orcs spawned and istakilled me...Wish I got a screenshot of his name...I just know he was in the dial a port guild or whatever it's called.

Anyways...very happy to be playing project 1999 at a time like this where I can have a completely FRESH experience on a brand new server. It feels like the stars have aligned and I cant wait to experience it with one of the greatest communities of all time.

If any other noobs feel like playing with us this weekend feel free to add me as a friend in game <Kilagan>
Old 11-26-2019, 11:08 AM
Sarnak

Welcome aboard!
Old 11-26-2019, 11:11 AM
Planar Protector

druid and rogue should be pretty fun. you can snare and flame lick things even at level one and run around while the rogue chases and backstabs (whenever they get backstab)

just keep flame licking to hold agro as you gain levels, at lv 14 you can add your dot

i think that's a very fitting duo that will only increase in power as you can both gain levels

cheers and welcome
Old 11-27-2019, 03:37 AM
Sarnak

Rogue will really help fear-kiting animals [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If she's not married to the rogue playstyle, might want to convince her to roll a tank. Tank plus druid means you're basically a 2-person group on your own, and any other that join you will just be gravy. Plus the server needs more tanks.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:59 AM
Aviak

I too am relearning all there is about EQ hahaha. So far i have gotten my Magician to lvl 4 and trying out the different pets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What starting town/place are you in? I am in Qeynos. I also have a SK troll that i am going to slowly and painfully get my reputation up with so i can not be hated by so much hahaha.

Edit* I'm also on Green server. Lol. Names in the signature.
Favian - Wood Elf 3 Ranger
Discord - IppSwitch#4031
Old 11-27-2019, 06:35 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekl_Mortain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I too am relearning all there is about EQ hahaha. So far i have gotten my Magician to lvl 4 and trying out the different pets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What starting town/place are you in? I am in Qeynos. I also have a SK troll that i am going to slowly and painfully get my reputation up with so i can not be hated by so much hahaha.

I'm at my Wood Elf starting city, Kelethin. One of the comments above got me thinking and I'm wondering if my SO rolled a ogre warrior (most OP warrior class) how much effect that would have on our gameplay together. I know some places I wont be able to go and some places she wont be able to go but is that really a big deal? And Would be happy to group up with you buddy the more the merrier.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:14 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekl_Mortain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Will try this again..not sure why my last message didn't go through...anyways

I'm at the wood elf starter city, Kelethin. I was also wondering if my SO rolled a ogre warrior how much of an issuse grouping with her would be? The only issue I can think of is some towns/cities she wont be able to visit and same with me. Should be fine otherwise though right?
Old 11-27-2019, 07:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by P33M [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Will try this again..not sure why my last message didn't go through...anyways

I'm at the wood elf starter city, Kelethin. I was also wondering if my SO rolled a ogre warrior how much of an issues grouping with her would be? The only issue I can think of is some towns/cities she wont be able to visit and same with me. Should be fine otherwise though right?
Welcome to Eq! Incoming wall of text!

ogre is going to be the best tank due to racial bonuses received even at lv1 but they suffer an XP penalty and are kill-on-sight to most good cities. If you are a wood elf, you will have to find somewhere relatively neutral (and one of you will have to take the boat) to level together.

While people are correct that having a tank + a priest class (druid in this case) is indeed a boon to starting a group, it's worth noting that druid healing leaves a lot to be desired and playing a healer is pretty tedious (sitting all the time to have mana for when heals are needed.) If however you want to go the insta-group route? Go cleric+Warrior. Still goingt o entail a lot of travel, but at least warrior doesnt have to train/buy spells every coulpe levels.

Another thing to consider is, with that tank+priest combo(druid is a "priest" or wisdom caster class) you'll be forced to get a group to streamline combat/xp gains. If one of you plays a pet-caster? You will be your own group. With the druids ability to harmony for single-pulls and buff pet in a variety of ways, such as strength buff +Hp/+AC+Regen+damage shield + movespeed (sow) +teleportation as on top of heal and nukes, snare and root for crowd control?(snare is king btw) You guys will make short work of camps that normally taken on by 3-6 players once you've gained a degree of mastery over the games mechanics as well as your respective classes.

Since you're apparently open to suggestion, if you are a wood elf druid, my suggestion would be to have your better half roll a High elf magician--druid+magician is a highly effective pairing, you will be on similar factions, free to roam in one another cities as well as allother good (dwarf, humans, halfling) cities.

One of the best parts about it is that all solos and most duos have a a lot ofdowntime. Time needed to sit idle while mana and/or HP regens. And this will be true in this case, but to a much lower degree-- since the pet can continue to act independently while you rest, putting more time to good use. The biggest downside is that you will both have toa ccount for the expense of spells. worth looking into good exp locations that will offer decent coin as you advance.

Necromancer is another pet class option that is often recommended-- but I'll say this: Magicians are, simply put, easier to master and make the game a breeze when duo'd with a druid. Also necromancers will have similar faction issues as an ogre. Even a race normally as benign as a gnome is relatively hated by good races, since they must worship a generally reviled deity as a necromancer. Whereas Magicians (and enchanters-- another "pet class" but much more difficult to master) can be agnostic, negating religious zealotry as a factor completely in terms of faction/reputation.

Also worth mentioning, the magician pets are far more powerful than their necro counterparts. At lvl 12 the necros start to cap out at lower levels than the necro itself- and the gap between caster and pet gets larger every few spell levels. This also happens with mages, but since it starts occuring at a later level (24,vs NEC @ 12), the gap grows more slowly and the pets will be viable much longer. Necros, DO have a lot of utility/survivability-- with the likes of early invisibility, feign death, life taps/dark pact for mana regen, mend bones to heal their pet and dark empathy for healing others.

Anyway I hope I haven't confused the hell out of you. Best of luck out there.
Last edited by Xer0; 11-27-2019 at 08:01 PM..
Old 11-27-2019, 09:41 PM
Aviak

Sorry for the late reply. I am willing to get to a neutral area for a party. Although where that could be i do not know. I know that ogres are safe-ish in the evil sections of qeynos and freeport.
Favian - Wood Elf 3 Ranger
Discord - IppSwitch#4031
Old 11-27-2019, 10:07 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply. I am willing to get to a neutral area for a party. Although where that could be i do not know. I know that ogres are safe-ish in the evil sections of qeynos and freeport.
commonlands just outside of freeport would be a good neutral spot, even with the evil section of freeport, ogre war would have a hard time moving freely through FP to get there-- but commons is close enough to neriak that theyw ouldn't be too inconvenienced. wort part for a wood elf would be travelling by boat to EFP.
Closed Thread