Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 08:25 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Casual player: SK or Paladin?

Hey all,

I want to play a Dark Elf SK or Dwarf Paladin.

I'll probably never raid and don't care about min maxing. Mostly group tanking and some solo play when I can't be on for long enough that a group is worthwhile.

What do you suggest I go with?
Old 08-12-2018, 08:47 PM
Planar Protector

Flip a coin, because it's pretty much a wash. Group desirability is about a tie. Paladin's the slightly better group tank, while the Shadow Knight offers better solo capability from about level 22 (especially 30) onward. Paladin offers cheaper class-specific equipment and easier factions while the SK's escape options will save you deaths and hence time. The relative advantages more or less cancel each other out, in terms of the life of a mid-level casual character with limited funding.

Danth
Old 08-12-2018, 09:22 PM
Fire Giant

I'd say SK for a casual as it offers more potential for solo play, and other nice things such as both invisibility types (invis and undead Invis) as well feign death make travel in the game alot easier

Tanking your desirability is the same as paladin
Old 08-13-2018, 04:54 AM
Fire Giant

While I’m a huge fan of paladins, I think the SK will fit your play style more. Need to go afk real quick but it’s not a safe area? FD. Want to solo a bit because you don’t have time for a group or can’t find one? SK wins.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:24 AM
Planar Protector

Not to mention you can hide, more easily draw AOE aggro on overpulls to keep the cleric/backline safe, and indeed...FD if you find yourself pulling and get too many (pull with the weaken line, not disease cloud) ^^
Old 08-13-2018, 06:23 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

SK sounds like the winner. Thanks all.

I'm not completely untwinked. Have some seb scale armor kicking around as well as a decent 1hs and shield to get started so I should be fairly decent from out of the gate.

The name is Veserath if you see me around and want to say hi.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:03 PM
Aviak

oh a dark elf sk how unique. lol.

Every other race that can be sk is much better, either by stats, non stat advantages (regen), or pure cosmetics (there is probably 10 DE sk for every 1 non DE). Ogre best in worse gear, Euridite has high int and magic resist, Iskar has huge regen equivalent to having a fungi equipped at all times at lvl 60. Just my 2 cents.

Also, In General, Paladin is stronger / better then SK all the way from level 9 to 60, at which point the sk finally becomes better with the acquisition of the "good" FD.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:36 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicAdventure [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
oh a dark elf sk how unique. lol.

Every other race that can be sk is much better, either by stats, non stat advantages (regen), or pure cosmetics (there is probably 10 DE sk for every 1 non DE). Ogre best in worse gear, Euridite has high int and magic resist, Iskar has huge regen equivalent to having a fungi equipped at all times at lvl 60. Just my 2 cents.

Also, In General, Paladin is stronger / better then SK all the way from level 9 to 60, at which point the sk finally becomes better with the acquisition of the "good" FD.
The game has been out since 99 brother. Nothing is "unique" anymore. Ogre and Troll are not my jam. Don't wanna deal with the slow level of an Iksar. Human and Erudite are just kind of boring. Gnome is kinda cool though.

What makes a paladin better? Are the cleric based spells better than the necro based spells?
Old 09-01-2018, 05:47 PM
Sarnak

Paladin obviously
Old 09-02-2018, 12:00 AM
Fire Giant

Paladins have strong heals (heal like a druid until 51+), instant snap aggro, roots and stuns, pacify, useful (if not amazing) buffs. Shadowknights piss off my enchanter, with their gay shadowknight aids they spam on every mob and pet they are often too lazy to control. If you like groupin imo pallies are the clear choice.
Closed Thread