Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 01:15 PM
Aviak

Default SK newbie weapons

Hi! Even though my main is barely past 30, I started an alt. Ogre SK.
Was thinking sword and board at first, but from what I've read shield AC, and ac in general, seems to be somewhat disappointing on p99 compared to live. So, 2h it is.

What weapons are affordable for me? I have a few hundred plat to spend.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:36 PM
Aviak

Ideally, I like to have a weapon of each damage type so i can swap em out as i level and keep em trained (1hs, 2hs, 1hb and 2hb). Obviously acquiring each will be a challenge if you're new, but there's not really a clear cut winner unless you're twinked and have a substantially better weapon of one damage type. 2h will suffer at low levels due to damage cap limitations combined with their longer delays.

I have a nathsar greatsword (2hs) and sarnak battlehammer (2hb) on a retired alt in EC, if you get there I'd gladly gift them

Aabdel - Wood Elf Rogue
Abdell - Half Elf Ranger
Meladei - Half Elf Bard
<Storm Watch>
Old 08-04-2018, 07:18 PM
Kobold

There is a sword at the bottom of lower dogs called the sword of pain. If you can message people in Velks and keep him camped close I bet that would be quite the sword to have to level him up. Other fun weapons would be a Soul Binder for 2hb and it procs early.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:43 PM
Aviak

Send me a PM with your in-game name and I'll hook you up.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostepop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Was thinking sword and board at first, but from what I've read shield AC, and ac in general, seems to be somewhat disappointing on p99 compared to live. So, 2h it is.
Careful of old threads: P99 has had a lot of work done over the years. Old threads may have been accurate when they were posted but might no longer have relevance. For much of P1999's history AC ranged from broken to bad, but a few years ago it was largely fixed. It has decent effect today. 1H weapon/shield is a perfectly acceptable setup to use, especially if you group a lot. Solo gameplay tends to favor maximizing damage output (ie, ratio) regardless of specific weapon type.

Danth
Old 08-05-2018, 01:39 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velthak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Send me a PM with your in-game name and I'll hook you up.
I am unable to send private messages as of yet. The benefits of being new, I guess.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:07 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Careful of old threads: P99 has had a lot of work done over the years. Old threads may have been accurate when they were posted but might no longer have relevance. For much of P1999's history AC ranged from broken to bad, but a few years ago it was largely fixed. It has decent effect today. 1H weapon/shield is a perfectly acceptable setup to use, especially if you group a lot. Solo gameplay tends to favor maximizing damage output (ie, ratio) regardless of specific weapon type.

Danth
But it's not where a group tank would be an utter moron for using a 2h, is it?
Old 08-05-2018, 11:38 AM
Sarnak

Remember not to use 2handed weapons before level 10, and to also probably not use 2handed weapons before level 20, probably.

see:
http://wiki.project1999.com/Game_Mec...bat_and_Damage
Old 08-05-2018, 01:28 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I was literally coming here to ask a similar question with regard to my baby Paladin. Sounds like the advice is pretty transferrable. Still trying to make some coin to buy something better than banded.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:27 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbouya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Remember not to use 2handed weapons before level 10, and to also probably not use 2handed weapons before level 20, probably.

see:
http://wiki.project1999.com/Game_Mec...bat_and_Damage
.... if you have a 1h that's better damage/ratio. If you don't, use what you got.

Note the caps are not strict caps, really; my ogre chars routinely hit for over the listed caps there; see the discussion page for some examples.