Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 07:11 AM
Large Rat

Default Old salt looking to replay the glory days

Hey all, I used to play back when the game first came out, bought all the expansions up to Kunark I think (or Vellious, I can't remember which one was the later one?), but eventually dropped it for DAOC as my entire guild moved over to that. I used to play a Troll warrior, and Human Paladin, but had an immense amount of alt-itis. I tried going hardcore on Vallon Zek PvP, but soloing as a Barbarian Rogue on a server where you couldn't wear decent gear due to looting rules made it really tough going.

I am wondering what is a good class to start with to get me going on this server? I love melee classes, but I know how hard they can be starting out with no resources. What is a good class I can play to get on my feet for any following characters? I was thinking an Erudite Mage, because I have never played Mage before, and I prefer to have good aligned characters (makes hand-overs of goods easier). Any other recommendations?

Am I also correct to learn that there is no racial XP penalties in the game any more? So a Troll Warrior will level as fast as say a Human Warrior? Just wanting to know in case I decide to go for a different race for a character.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 08-08-2018, 02:20 PM
Fire Giant

If I were you I would just roll your favorite class and play that. You’ll have fun gearing up along the way.

If you’re set on a caster that can twink a melee later on, though, magician is solid. Gnome is a great choice as later on you’ll be able to cast your eye of zomm spell into the wall, which will send it to the zone-in so you can invite and summon newcomers to your group using the spell Call of the Hero (“coth”). Aesthetic choice is important, though.

Other good casters to start out with for solo/group farming are necro and enchanter. Enchanter is the strongest, but necro probably has the best mix of versatility and difficulty for the starting player and has no need for gear, but has a lower demand in groups unless you make a name for yourself as a skilled player.

Class penalties are gone, but racial penalties still exist, but are no longer shared with groupmates.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenriswulf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey all, I used to play back when the game first came out, bought all the expansions up to Kunark I think (or Vellious, I can't remember which one was the later one?), but eventually dropped it for DAOC as my entire guild moved over to that. I used to play a Troll warrior, and Human Paladin, but had an immense amount of alt-itis. I tried going hardcore on Vallon Zek PvP, but soloing as a Barbarian Rogue on a server where you couldn't wear decent gear due to looting rules made it really tough going.

I am wondering what is a good class to start with to get me going on this server? I love melee classes, but I know how hard they can be starting out with no resources. What is a good class I can play to get on my feet for any following characters? I was thinking an Erudite Mage, because I have never played Mage before, and I prefer to have good aligned characters (makes hand-overs of goods easier). Any other recommendations?

Am I also correct to learn that there is no racial XP penalties in the game any more? So a Troll Warrior will level as fast as say a Human Warrior? Just wanting to know in case I decide to go for a different race for a character.

Thanks for all your help!
If you want to play a melee, play a melee. P99 is almost 9 years old and equipment doesn't decay. Lower-end gear that would've been considered decent in the original game is regarded as junk here and sells for a pittance....hence you can equip yourself to an adequate degree, even as a new player, within a matter of days or weeks provided you have access to the auction zone (East Commons).

Danth
Old 08-08-2018, 05:39 PM
Banned

I always promote Druids as the best first character.. Can solo or group. It'll give you a chance to warm back up to the game with all kinds of quality of life spells.. Sow, ports, buffs. Then once you hit your 30's or even 40's, you can just use him for porting and money making to help gear your melee character! Just my 2 cents!
Old 08-10-2018, 05:20 AM
Large Rat

All good advice. After reading up on a bunch of classes, I am most interested in an Enchanter now, although I am tempted to recreate the first class that I ever played, that being a Human Paladin of Mithaniel Marr.

I have hit a snag though, I can't get this game to work for me, even after following the installation steps. I get the 1017 error, and finding out exactly what isn't working for me will be heinous. I'll give the installer which does everything for you a go, but it's not looking optimistic thus far.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it!
Old 08-11-2018, 03:31 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenriswulf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I have hit a snag though, I can't get this game to work for me, even after following the installation steps. I get the 1017 error, and finding out exactly what isn't working for me will be heinous. I'll give the installer which does everything for you a go, but it's not looking optimistic thus far.
Its not easy to get it going, try posting your error in the tech forum. Those guys will help you get straight.

As for enchanter: they are highly groupable and can solo also. Good choice for first char. Other good choices: druid, necro, cleric, monk. People tend to discriminate against some classes on p99 during the leveling process. At low levels its not bad but the higher you go the more people want a solid dps group.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:47 PM
Large Rat

I finally got in after doing a full reinstall and using Dux's wonderful all-in-one installer (which comes with a great UI as well!) and immediately went and made...

... A barbarian rogue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I couldn't help myself. The need for the old nostalgia hit was too much, and I enjoyed spending a good amount of time wandering around Everfrost, trying to avoid the Vengeful skeletons (which wrecked me a few times), and eventually working my way into Blackburrow.

A big shout out to the Barbarian Shaman 'Durteh' for helping me with a great starting kit of fine steel weapons and some rawhide, so I wasn't completely demolished from the get-go, as well as some super buffs which helped me get through the first few levels nicely.

One down-side was I made my Barb rogue Agnostic, and so I couldn't do as many quests as there are available in Halas that you might if you were a follower of "The Tribunal", which was a pain. I am only barely "Indifferent" after doing a few of the other quests and handing in some Gnoll Fangs. I will keep going at it, but by the time I am amiable, I am betting that the quests I would want to do are going to be trivial, so not worth the bother. All that Woolly Fungus saved for nothing...

Apart from being able to eat it, that is.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:54 AM
Orc

Your name is so familiar. Did you play on Povar? Or did you have that name in another MMO- like eq2?
Last edited by Etara; 08-14-2018 at 12:12 PM..
Old 08-15-2018, 04:38 AM
Large Rat

No, I used to play on Vallon-Zek in a Barbarian only guild. We tried our best, but Sony wouldn't hardcode the teams and cross-teaming pretty much killed the server. Everybody took the exit to DAOC when that came out, or other games around the place.

It was incredibly difficult to level back when the server opened, as you could have anything but your weapons looted, so it ended up with most players running around with as much no-drop gear as they could get. Eventually they made it cash-only on looting a player, and people felt they could finally raid for decent gear. But by then the cross-teaming was becoming bigger and yeah, not much reason to stick around.

This server, by comparison, is much more fun.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:41 AM
Orc

Oh, were you on DAOC then with that name? Perhaps that is where I recognize you from! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I played on Guinevere and then Mordred when it came out [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] if not then perhaps there was another fenriswulf.
Closed Thread