Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 03:42 PM
Aviak

Default New alt - Advice for what to play

I am looking to start an alt. My shaman is slowly grinding away at treants and I often find that camp taken.

Looking to play a dps, probably won't make it very high level, but I want group friendly as possible. I can pull together maybe 500-1000pp to twink but that is about it. Leaning towards a wizard but I am nervous because it looks like they aren't popular for groups. Would I be better off with a mage or a necro?
Old 08-09-2018, 05:08 PM
Fire Giant

If you want dps for groups Id go...

Rogue - dirt cheap class, they can move around relatively freely and get to groups easily. Groups always want more rogues

Monk - Can also be done super cheap (don't let the heavy amount of monk twinks on p99 fool you) added benefit of being a puller and can solo a lot better than a rogue

Mage - Will get groups way more often than a wizard... people are hesitant to group with wizards because they run out of gas... p99 is somewhat different in classic in that groups and players focus on constantly pulling mobs not just camping 1 specific room or a few spawns and waiting for respawns... thus running out of gas is a huge weakness for wizards in group situations. Mage does not have this weakness as long as they press pet attack they always do good dps

Necro - to the same extent as Mage but your pet is slightly weaker and your dots are not as relevant as the mage burst nukes in group situations. Can still be super valuable to groups but some groups may prefer upfront dps before considering a Necro. That being said Necromancers are significantly better at soloing than the rest of the classes you mentioned
Old 08-09-2018, 08:35 PM
Planar Protector

Definitely rogue. I never played one before P99 but got a rogue to 60 and it was a fun journey. The epic isn't too hard either <3
Old 08-10-2018, 01:34 AM
Aviak

Wizards seem a hard sell in groups many times, but a good wizard...oh who am I kidding...wizards suck!! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Now accepting hate mail.

Assuming you are ok with non-stop chain pulling, a monk is pretty nice for grouping. Monks also duo/trio well which is often better xp's. A well-geared monk can also tank pretty well while still pumping out good DPS and soloing is another option.

For group friendly DPS, it is hard to beat a rogue. I've leveled a few rogues on p99 and still find them fun to play, but keep in mind that rogues lack versatility. Yes, they can and do pull, but bards, monks, monks, and rangers are generally preferred. They are kings of CR's, but let's face it...groups don't generally get built around CR capability. What they do exceedingly well is crap out DPS and mana ain't a limiting factor for them.

If you want versatility, I'd say go necro since they can heal, give mana, CC, and eventually DMF which is useful in some areas.

I feel some people underestimate mage overall contribution (pets do a lot of damage, damage shield, + nukes), but I found getting groups on my mage is fairly easy.

And let us not forget the most powerful DPS which would be of course an enchanter. Their contribution to group DPS from brain buffs and haste makes them worth adding, but with a hasted pet their overall contribution to DPS is pretty insane. You will die more than a rogue though.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:57 AM
Fire Giant

Eh, I always accept people in groups regardless of class. Play what class you like [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

P99 - Blue
Lafael - Druid - Level 60
Garnagle - Necro - Level 57
Seductress - Enchanter - Level 52
Sweets - Bard - Level 35
Venexia - Shaman - Level 60
Wonderelf - Warrior - Level 51
Old 08-10-2018, 02:06 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Eh, I always accept people in groups regardless of class. Play what class you like [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Doesn't change the fact that if multiple people are lfg at the same time the rogues and melee classes will get group offers pretty much all the time prior to a wizard

I'd rather have a ALS gnome warrior with rusty swords who put his starting points into Cha as extra dps in a group than a wizard
Old 08-10-2018, 08:43 AM
Sarnak

Ranger!!
Old 08-10-2018, 05:31 PM
Aviak

Thanks for the tips, leaning towards mage.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:48 PM
Kobold

Mage is a great, cheap choice. Very fun. Invest in a couple root nets when you can.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:11 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxplay [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Doesn't change the fact that if multiple people are lfg at the same time the rogues and melee classes will get group offers pretty much all the time prior to a wizard

I'd rather have a ALS gnome warrior with rusty swords who put his starting points into Cha as extra dps in a group than a wizard
Truth and ouch regarding the gnome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

P99 - Blue
Lafael - Druid - Level 60
Garnagle - Necro - Level 57
Seductress - Enchanter - Level 52
Sweets - Bard - Level 35
Venexia - Shaman - Level 60
Wonderelf - Warrior - Level 51
Closed Thread