Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Kobold

Default New player: Halfing Druid -- here it goes!

Hello all!

I played EQ back in its prime. The furthest I got was a level 10 ranger, so I'm a complete noob to this game. I'm here because a friend helped me with the install and got the ball rolling. Though, I must say I am having a blast with my level 6 halfling Druid!

My oh my this game is much more brutal than I remember. I've died over 20 times already, that's no exaggeration. Luckily my friend recommended me the Druid, because I feel like my old ass wouldn't survive in this world without a little bit of self-sufficiency and quality of life spells like Gate, when I get absolutely lost and can't find my way back to town.

I'm curious if there is an item guide to gearing up a fresh Druid? Currently I've saved about 100pp and after doing some research have begun my quest to buy a springwood club to help me survive in this tough world. Is there anything else, cheap, that I should be looking out for?

As a level 6 I'm camping those goblins in Misty Thicket using my harmony spell to pull them one at a time and collecting the warheads for quest turn ins and more exp. about how long should I do this?was thinking until level 9... and then should I finally journey out of my starter zone? I'm scared lol
Old 08-12-2018, 12:35 PM
Kobold

Hiya Insaiyan,

I am not sure if there is an item guide for druids specifically , but make sure you read through the druid guides on the wiki. They should all offer gearing advice.

After your club, i'd recommend pickup cheap +3 wis rings and earrings, splitpaw hide gloves, also othimir fur caps are cheap as hell.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumpz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hiya Insaiyan,

I am not sure if there is an item guide for druids specifically , but make sure you read through the druid guides on the wiki. They should all offer gearing advice.

After your club, i'd recommend pickup cheap +3 wis rings and earrings, splitpaw hide gloves, also othimir fur caps are cheap as hell.

Thanks so much for your reply! I will definitely check those items out. This game may be old but I'm pretty much 100% new and love how it doesn't old your hand. Tons to research!
Old 08-16-2018, 09:56 PM
Kobold

Ooooooo wheeeeeee!

What an adventure it's been thus far. Unfortunately I was not able to get my Springwood Club after camping the East Common tunnels for a few days, but I did manage to get a decent 1h weapon with 7 dmg and a higher delay. I was sad, cost me 50pp but it helped up my damage a little bit.

Rycluse The halfling Druid currently sits in his 9th season, very happy about the new spells he's learned. Blue mobs go down very quickly now, especially since he can buff himself up with all kinds of thorns, strength, and AC modifiers. It went from smacking a mob in the face with a club to doing it on steroids. Typically he opens with a spitfire spell to dot the mob and the.b wails away.

Having a great time, but once I hit 10 I fear his journeymust take him away from the familiar thicket and Into the world. Wish me luck ...

Rycluse
Old 08-16-2018, 11:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumpz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hiya Insaiyan,

i can second what Mumpz said,

go for mana items. doing melee damage gets less and less important. by the time you are 14, you probably wont be doing much at all with your club. the only time i use my weapon at level 20 is when i am trying to finish off a mob thats nearly dead. even then i wonder if i should just med and Stinging Swarm or Nuke.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:12 AM
Fire Giant

Welcome to the server! It’s always awesome seeing new people join up and figure out this crazy world. I really wish I could be right where you’re at right now, learning and experience everything for pretty much the 1st time. Enjoy the travels and adventure. Don’t rush to the end game, there is plenty of fun and crazy times to be had while leveling up.

Feel free to reach out if you have questions or just want to chat!
Old 08-17-2018, 03:38 AM
Fire Giant

Nice! Enjoy the travels and learning. Druid is a great class for that. One of the most important things is really just enjoying your time leveling. Racing to 60 is ridiculous for a brand new player, so ignore any of that noise.

Of course, there are plenty of cheap options in EC, and do take advantage if you want. However, a class like Druid or Necromancer really needs no gear, so don't sweat that too much. Sure, gear is a huge facet of EQ, but for a non-melee, you have the luxury of not needing to focus on that.

Get your spells, buy some gear as you can, and learn as you go. Once you get your first group ports, you can make money as you deem necessary. It is also a good way to meet folks and learn the various zones.

Have fun, and welcome!
Closed Thread