Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 11-28-2022, 05:38 PM
Sarnak

Smile High AC on A Rogue?

Does having higher ac on a rogue even do anything?
I wanna say I read on safe house that it helped the hits go lower, but this is P99

any info is good!

Yes it’s for soloing on a squishy rogue, I afk a lot LoL
Old 11-28-2022, 05:52 PM
Banned

It won't make you a tank, unfortunately.

You'll just die later rather than sooner.

Rogues are terribly squishy.

Like too squishy to even body pull for a group.
Old 12-24-2022, 10:24 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rogues are terribly squishy.

Like too squishy to even body pull for a group.
I tanked for my Seb group last night. Totally doable, though not ideal if a slower is present lol
Old 12-27-2022, 12:03 PM
Fire Giant

I would stack HP and resist on rogue...if you are tanking you are definitely doing it wrong /nod.
Old 12-29-2022, 04:19 PM
Sarnak

I really like AC as a stat in general. Rogues can get tanky enough for group content, especially if you're being healed by a Torp Shaman instead of a Cleric. Rogue HP sucks so does not benefit as much from CHeals, but defensive skills are equal to Warriors and we get an extra AC boost from AGI that helps offset the higher Warrior Softcap AC returns. If you use poison you can also have immediate snap aggro on every engage which can be good.

Most of the time it makes more sense for someone else to tank so the Rogue can backstab, but I have found having high AC to be nice for some niche stuff like duoing puppets in POM, irregular plate house groups with no real tank or the time I took a group of Rogues to SG and we just stealthed around the zone assassinating singles. Our main tank was a WToV geared Rogue, and she did great at surviving while the rest of us burned down targets. We had a factioned cleric patch her up between kills so we could keep rolling.

Its less good for raid boss fights, where maybe you survive an extra round of attacks if you draw aggro or something, but probably doesn't make a big difference.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really like AC as a stat in general. Rogues can get tanky enough for group content, especially if you're being healed by a Torp Shaman instead of a Cleric. Rogue HP sucks so does not benefit as much from CHeals, but defensive skills are equal to Warriors and we get an extra AC boost from AGI that helps offset the higher Warrior Softcap AC returns. If you use poison you can also have immediate snap aggro on every engage which can be good.

Most of the time it makes more sense for someone else to tank so the Rogue can backstab, but I have found having high AC to be nice for some niche stuff like duoing puppets in POM, irregular plate house groups with no real tank or the time I took a group of Rogues to SG and we just stealthed around the zone assassinating singles. Our main tank was a WToV geared Rogue, and she did great at surviving while the rest of us burned down targets. We had a factioned cleric patch her up between kills so we could keep rolling.

Its less good for raid boss fights, where maybe you survive an extra round of attacks if you draw aggro or something, but probably doesn't make a big difference.
This is why you stack AC. It expands what you're capable of doing, of which tanking is (un)surprisingly something rogues do pretty well. Or you could be a Haze Panther DPS bot with no utility beyond stabbing things like /nod suggests. That sounds kinda boring to me.
Old 01-04-2023, 11:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really like AC as a stat in general. Rogues can get tanky enough for group content, especially if you're being healed by a Torp Shaman instead of a Cleric.
If you are being healed by a Torpor Shaman, you are probably tanking something the Shaman could tank themselves, and Shamans have lower defense skills than a Rogue. Anything that can be Torpor/Slow tanked is tankable by basically any class, probably even tankable by cloth casters. Enchanters have Rune, Wizards have a Rune equivalent, Necros have lifetaps and can FD if they get too low. Mages would probably be the squishiest, but with damage shield/water pet, the fight would go a bit faster at least.

This means that is not really a good metric for how well Rogues can tank. That being said, Rogues do get two defensive discs, and have good defense skills, as you say. So they will indeed tank better than Shamans or cloth casters. Unfortunately it isn't really good enough to justify them tanking over DPSing. While I haven't tested it myself, I doubt a Rogues discs could open the possibility of tanking something that other classes couldn't tank while a Torpor Shaman is healing/slowing. Anything that is out-DPSing Shaman Slow and Torpor is going to need a proper tank.
Old 01-04-2023, 05:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allishia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would stack HP and resist on rogue...if you are tanking you are definitely doing it wrong /nod.
Thank you for weighing in with the warrior perspective. /rolleyes /nod
Old 11-28-2022, 06:04 PM
Sarnak

Thanks!

Was just checking to see if dexterity would be better for my blood points to proc more,rather then getting more AC to make hits a little bit lower Lol
Old 11-28-2022, 10:06 PM
Planar Protector

High AC definitely makes a difference with group or solo content. Can't recommend CC gaunts / boots highly enough. And you can absolutely pull / tank on a rogue.