Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2022, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robayon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's pretty fucked up, but I find it a bit confusing - maybe I just misunderstood

Like he had a regular gf who was fairly attractive, but then was texting this girl, and sent her flowers & card - but she wanted to keep it just co-worker/friend? Or was he implying that his co-worker was his gf and then he threatened suicide when she checked him?
No, sorry, by partner I meant work partner, as in a two person work team. Only ever a co-worker, I’m assuming they probably never hung out outside of work but if so probably at a group thing as friends. So he got attracted to his co-worker, then showed it with the romantic card and flowers. She shot him down, politely, and he threatened to kill himself in response

It is actually a fairly common thing I see on my job from clients from all walks of life, but almost always from people in relationships. The right way to express the hurt or the sadness is to say something like “I have a hard time seeing life without you”, or something of that nature. When it’s more direct “you left me, so I’m going to kill myself”, it’s a control or manipulation tactic more often than it’s a cry for help. But discounting it as such is dangerous, some people will follow through and do it, I’ve seen it happen at work. So the correct response can often be to do what she did, to get the person formal treatment possibly even against their will

This will either do one of 2 things: if their threat was genuine it will literally save their life, or at the very least delay their death a while longer. If the threat was an attempt to manipulate, it will set a boundary of “I’m not going to continue to tolerate you jerking me around emotionally but putting your life in my hands”

However, the most emotional time after getting a rejection starts from the moment it’s read, and tends to go down in time. Which is why it’s better in my opinion to engage the person’s supports such as contacting their friends or family to check on them, and give them time to process and see how they feel a bit later with more mental clarity…before hospitalizing them against their will

Same works for kids, because behavioral kids will often try to leverage suicide or self-harm when they get a consequence. Take it seriously, give them time, and then put a boundary down that they won’t like such as hospitalization and possibly therapy after to learn to express themselves differently