Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 01-15-2023, 08:14 PM
Large Rat

Default New Player, Barbarian Shaman stuck

Hello,

From the title, you can see that I am a new player who chose to be a Barbarian Shaman. Feeling stuck as I keep venturing out into Everfrost Peaks looking for mobs to kill. However, it is seemingly impossible to kill any mobs. I have tried spiders, wolfs, and bears. Of which, these are the only mobs I can find near the entrance. I keep getting killed by all of these mobs. At this point, there must be something I am doing wrong and there must be some key information I do not understand. Any information would be much appreciated! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-15-2023, 09:00 PM
Planar Protector

Hello and welcome!

Shamans are a bit rough at the lower levels without any gear.

A few tricks:

1. Use Inner Fire for healing instead of your healing spell, it is more mana efficient.
2. Melee the mobs in addition to whatever else you are doing for more DPS.
3. Buy https://wiki.project1999.com/Burst_of_Flame if you are having trouble hitting with melee. It's not a good spell, but at least it is guaranteed damage when you are getting into a tight spot. I would advise trying to melee and inner fire heal first, then use burst of flame if you are still losing. You can also try spamming burst of flame if that works better for you, you will just need to sit and regain mana more often.
4. https://wiki.project1999.com/Tribunal_Symbol_Quests - You can do this quest for a slightly better melee weapon if you can make it through Blackburrow. You can just bank all your items and try to run through, so if you die you lose nothing.
5. Make sure to /con the mobs. If they are white, they are your level. If they are yellow, they are 1 or 2 levels higher than you. If they are red, they are 2+ levels higher than you. If they are blue or green, they are below your level. Try to fight mobs that are white or blue. You can fight green mobs, but they may not give xp anymore.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-15-2023 at 09:04 PM..
Old 01-15-2023, 09:03 PM
Large Rat

Thank you, I am going to log back on and try this out!
Old 01-15-2023, 10:15 PM
Planar Protector

DSM had some great tips, but you also might find https://wiki.project1999.com/Halas_Starting_Guide (particularly the bottom parts) helpful also.

Once you've "mastered" Everfrost yourself, you may even want to edit that page and improve it with your newly learned information [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-15-2023, 11:25 PM
Planar Protector

Everfrost is horrible. I can’t log on now but can probably tomorrow and definitely Tuesday. Glad to take you to a better lower level area and back to everfrost to train back up.
Old 01-15-2023, 11:31 PM
Banned

Everfrost is probably one of the hardest newbie areas.

Stick to the western side of the zone until about level 6, then head south to where Blackburrow is.

That tends to work well for me.

Oh, and avoid that high level skeleton who roams around
Old 01-16-2023, 01:17 AM
Planar Protector

Everfrost IMO is the most difficult newbie zone, the mobs levels starting out vary wildly. Make sure to consider mobs and only fight blue or black colored cons, not yellow.
Old 01-16-2023, 06:08 AM
Sarnak

Hi and welcome, please check out the Newbie Guide if you haven't already: https://wiki.project1999.com/Newbie_Guide

Are you considering the mobs before attacking them? From memory things like polar bear cubs can be level 4 so will whup your butt if you're level 1. Decaying skeletons are normally the easiest mobs to kill and have the added bonus of sometimes dropping weapons and cloth armour which help you buy your spells. Even decaying skellies can be tough at first though until you get some skill-ups.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:51 PM
Kobold

You have started what is the most fun part of the game, a fresh character without any others gearing it up. Enjoy it, because you will likely bypass this stage in future rolls on the server.

My advice.

1) Save ruined pelts for tailoring armor, save others for armor quests or selling to PCs/Higher level tailoring.
2) use sharpening stones on rusty weapons and sell, work up blacksmithing to make banded
3) Con everything, only fight white cons or blue.
4) Your best weapon early game is a spear, 6/29 iirc. About 10p from vendor but sells back about the same so can get money back when done with it.
6) Get a shield asap, extra AC. Start with whatever is avail in Halas. But there is good vendor for them in Qeynos pali guild area.
5) Your city has several good newbie quests. Check them out. I know shaman can get necklace to summon magic hammer. Magic weapons are hard to come by early game.
6) Next zone over, Qeynos hills, has good newbie armor quests from elves sitting by fire. Good early AC pieces.
7) Qeynos sewers has some rings and earrings available for total of +20 HP. Also a neck with +3 CHA

That is a great starter area that I missed out on with live. So much there for the fresh toon.
Balamorm<ALS> - Barbarian Rogue
Deetith - Iksar Monk
Last edited by Garnaak; 01-16-2023 at 02:55 PM..
Old 01-16-2023, 04:24 PM
Planar Protector

Be sure to read the wiki!

Blackburrow will be a great dungeon for you to hunt in a few levels.

Save all the fangs: https://wiki.project1999.com/Gnoll_Bounty