Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 01-20-2023, 02:39 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Smile Bautista (Totally New)

Hello everyone! Playing Project 1999 Blue is my first test drive in the world of Norrath. So far, I'm enjoying the people I've met in-game. I haven't come across a mean person yet.

Bautista is currently a 24th level Halfling Rogue. It's a challenge but I enjoy playing any variation of the Rogue in various games I've played in the past ... so why not here?

I'm about 2 weeks in and enjoying the game. I have a friend who recommended that I start with him on the Blue server rather than EQ Live, to see what it was like originally. I've had Guildies assist me on corpse runs more than I can count but I'm developing my way through.

Catch everyone in-game.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:49 AM
Fire Giant

Rogue as a first class is actually pretty hard core. It's one of the classes that can not really solo. On the other hand, this way you learn to be social in this game... because you simply have to. Most people make a solo capable caster first (druid, shaman, enchanter, mage, necro).

Glad you like it!
Old 01-20-2023, 07:35 AM
Banned

I mained a Rogue as my first character.

I was completely fine, but I didn't realize how poor I was for that entire 60 levels until I created a Necro alt.

I managed to gear myself on my Rogue. But what took multiple levels worth of saving up, only took minutes on my Necro or Druid.

So if you do like your Rogue and want to gear him with decent items, look into creating a farming class to raise funds. Kill guards with a Necro, or port people with a Druid.

Then again, I managed to get my epic by just grinding it out on my Rogue, so I guess it doesn't matter really.

I just didn't realize how poor I actually was until I made those farming classes and I really wish I knew that sooner.
Old 01-20-2023, 09:05 AM
Planar Protector

Glad it’s been a fun journey so far!
Old 01-20-2023, 11:07 AM
Sarnak

Nice to hear you haven't met any meanies in 24 levels and you're playing a rogue for your first character [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Welcome.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:22 PM
Fire Giant

Looting your own gear is more fun than creating an alt to power through the game just to farm cash to play the toon you really want to play. This is especially true for a new player, maybe not as much for rusty old vets.

IMNHO it sounds like you’re having fun and have pals to play with, which is important for a rogue. Just keep enjoying the journey. Welcome to P99!
Old 04-20-2023, 09:54 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I have leveled my Rogue to level 52, purchasing cheap upgrades along the way.

I've definitely felt the heart ache of being broke but there are so many nice players (both in my guild and non-guildies) offering upgrades while I've been leveling, it's been a tremendous help. It's not end-game gear but I never expected upgrades from anyone but got them anyway. Thanks to all the nice people on P99 Blue. Coming from other MMO's and MMORPG's, I can definitely say the population here, by far, are among the nicest players I have come across, met, and become friends with. And I'll pay the kindness forward for anyone who needs my help.

As for choosing a Rogue as my first class (and as my main character), I knew the Rogue would be a challenge. I like to play challenging classes. I chose to play Rogue-like classes before coming to P99 (such as Thief and Assassin) because of the challenge and what they can bring to the table at higher levels. But I will admit, they are (*add your favorite explicative here*) hard to level ... Luckily, my best friend has a Druid who helps me out when it comes to leveling.
Old 04-20-2023, 03:14 PM
Aviak

Holy Cow, most of the newbs that post here do not get that far. And as a rogue, that’s unexpected. Did you join a guild? Guilding takes this game to new heights.
Old 04-20-2023, 04:17 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Yes, I joined a Guild. The Guild was helpful with advice on how the Rogue is used in P99 Everquest. I can definitely say that the Rogue here on P99 is WAY different than other games I've played. The Rogue here is alot more challenging - Rogues are more of a challenge in games in general and I like the challenge. I'm not the kind of person who picks cookie-cutter builds or classes. I tend to play classes that everyone seems to stay away from. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing but I enjoy the challenge.

For me, it's not a race to the top: Who hits max level first ... I like to level in different areas of the game.

I have created an Iksar Shaman and a Gnome Enchanter but they are low level Alts. With experience slowing to a snails pace on the Rogue, I decided to make the Alts to keep myself from getting burned out grinding my Rogue to what I hope will eventually be level 65.