Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 04:46 PM
Fire Giant

Default I just want to be loved! An Iksar sob story.

Ok, I am newly returned to EQ via P99 after a LONG time away. I had a max level monk alt with epic back in the day but I had plat resources and a druid main and ran a huge guild so banking and travel and that sort of thing was less of an issue.

I'm only lvl 6 on my Iksar monk but I'm really interested in moving to the Freeport area to level around there and have access to the EC tunnel. I probably should have made things easy on myself and picked a human monk but I can't resist the Iksar racials.

I know I can get a port from a druid (with invis) to get there and get someone to bind me over near FP but I'm struggling with the whole banking and vendor thing.

At this level I have zero weight reduction bags or anything and the ability to bank to dump coin or items is sort of crucial (I'm frequently getting weighted down).

I have read that I can FD flop my way to the NFP bank and bank from FD position but I don't get FD until 17 and it will be worthless until I skill it up to a more reliable state which could take a while. I have read I can kill Lucan 3 times to get dubious with NFP but not sure how accurate that is and being that he is 55 not really doable (unless he gets killed often enough and I can tag him for the faction hit).

So with all that being said...does anyone have any other tips or info to facilitate this type of move as an Iksar or should I just stay in Kunark for the forseeable future? Is NFP the only real option?
Old 05-14-2016, 05:01 PM
Skeleton

You've picked the most restricted class and the most restricted race. While it would certainly be easier to stay on Kunark, and thus have the ability to sell to vendors, bank, speak with your trainer, etc... you will probably also want to do so everywhere else. The earlier you begin grinding faction, the earlier the NPCs wont chase you out like St. Patrick.

Just my opinion, anyway.. I can't say I've ever rolled an Iksar so my experience with the specifics of their being KoS is limited.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:16 PM
Fire Giant

FoB / Kurn's Tower is pretty much the fastest path to low 20s there is, I'd just stick it out in ya hometown until then
Old 05-14-2016, 05:21 PM
Planar Protector

Stay in Kunark until 17. XP in Kurn's Tower and it will go quickly. Save up all the bone chips you get to sell in EC and try to buy a Wu's Quivering Staff for 50-100pp. You then might find it easier to do the Neriak Red Wine quest for faction/banking in the old world rather than trying to up your Freeport faction. Also keep in mind that, especially as you get higher and can survive a few rounds of melee from the guards, you can bank anywhere with the combination of sneak and FD regardless of faction.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:02 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarkhon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You've picked the most restricted class and the most restricted race.
That's true but it was always a favorite class back in the day. It's just so unique and no MMOs have really had anything like it since (except EQ2 obviously). I know they aren't the best DPS or tank and don't have buffs to give but I still love them. So much fun to play and Iksar make the best monks I think.

Anyway, looks like I'm staying in FoB a while longer. Thanks for all the info everyone. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-14-2016, 06:08 PM
Fire Giant

Do fob/kurns to 20, then do ww to 35..dont leave kunark before training riposte..its a PITA to come and go for training...after 35 you don't have anything left to train ..so explore!
Old 05-16-2016, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQBallzz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm only lvl 6 on my Iksar monk but I'm really interested in moving to the Freeport area to level around there and have access to the EC tunnel. I probably should have made things easy on myself and picked a human monk but I can't resist the Iksar racials.
The lower levels (15 and under) are a huge pain in the ass no matter where you level. You think going to EC will make it easier...but it wont...these levels are just brutal on P99 anyway you cut it. After 15 I feel like classes come into their own more and it's easier...at 17 getting FD is definitely a game changer, and before you leave Kunark you need this skill IMO or your going to have a bad time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQBallzz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know I can get a port from a druid (with invis) to get there and get someone to bind me over near FP but I'm struggling with the whole banking and vendor thing.
You need to get FD, and you need to level sneak skill - best way to do this is to bind sneak to FD so that everytime you FD you also sneak. Takes times to level both these skills and you should put some training points into them as well.

Quote:
At this level I have zero weight reduction bags or anything and the ability to bank to dump coin or items is sort of crucial (I'm frequently getting weighted down).
My first character on P99 was a monk - my best advise is just ignore the fact that you get AC penalties for weight, pretend they don't exist and go about your business as you normally would until you get higher level and can do something about it.

Quote:
I have read that I can FD flop my way to the NFP bank and bank from FD position but I don't get FD until 17 and it will be worthless until I skill it up to a more reliable state which could take a while. I have read I can kill Lucan 3 times to get dubious with NFP but not sure how accurate that is and being that he is 55 not really doable (unless he gets killed often enough and I can tag him for the faction hit).
You can make an "EC Mule" and transfer all your funds to said mule instead of bank...A lot of people will make a low level Bard (Selo's!) with the sole purpose of being a constant EC presence - buy/selling/transferring - makes it easier than coordinating multiple banks on multiple characters.

Quote:
So with all that being said...does anyone have any other tips or info to facilitate this type of move as an Iksar or should I just stay in Kunark for the foreseeable future? Is NFP the only real option?
Stay in Kunark until 17, you're not missing anything in the Old World that Kunark doesn't have to offer or do better. When you reach level 20 send me a PM and I will run you through Dalnir to get Cresent Armor - that will last you all the way to 50 if you want it to - and its free. I also have a Jade Mace I can give you.

I know you are concerned with making and banking coin to level your character, but you make so much more PP on higher level content than you do on lower level content that its dumb - You can make good money from level 19-33 in Highpass and Highkeep. In highpass you can get Shiney Brass Idols (sell 500pp in EC) and in Highkeep you can sell/bank with the FD/sneak technique and make large gains (I almost always level in Highpass/Highkeep and leave with several thousand PP at level 31-32)
Old 05-16-2016, 09:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarkhon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You've picked the most restricted class.
With FD and Sneak, monks are one of the least restricted classes.

OP once you have sneak you can do faction quests quite easily. NFP faction is one of the easiest to get in the game and that's the only one you'll need to be able to bank in Freeport without getting killed. Like you mentioned if you get a tag in on Sir Lucan ONCE is all it takes to get higher than non kos. However, there is too much luck involved in being on at the right moment to count on that.

A more reliable way is to do Orc belts or Orc scalp quests to get dubious with the Freeport Militia (EFP and WFP guards). Once you are dubious with them, start turning in 2gp at a time to Fabian the bard in EFP until you are non kos with Knights of Truth (NFP guards).

Also, you can train in Freeport with invis potions and sneak. Or ask a druid for wolf form.

But honestly factioning is mostly a waste of time for a monk especially.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:59 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But honestly factioning is mostly a waste of time for a monk especially.
Exactly, plus you miss out on the mid lvl cash cow every new iksar monk should do to get an FBSS..guards in highkeep..dont make them like you..kill every one of them
Old 05-16-2016, 11:50 AM
Kobold

If you ever need a port just ask DIAP
Closed Thread