Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Screenshots

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not just mobs, but ToFS has some of the best designed EQ graphical lore as well.

If you're a mega-nerd, you'll be able to identify what happened there, what the pictures on the walls mean; pay close attention, and you can piece together the entire story of Mayong and Tserrina.

I will never understand how we went from something as intricately designed and laid out as this, to the never-explained aliens in Vex Thall....
jeeze i wish you would lay it all down for me so i could get immersed while i was at work pal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

pretty please?
Old 01-26-2016, 06:45 PM
Fire Giant

yea tofs kicks ass
Old 01-26-2016, 07:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruinedyourday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
jeeze i wish you would lay it all down for me so i could get immersed while i was at work pal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

pretty please?
sequential screenshots would be pretty awesome
Old 01-26-2016, 07:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrocat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wedding floor best floor amrite?
i like the floor with the cooks, apartments, and the master bed room (3)
Old 01-26-2016, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveeauxfour [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i like the floor with the cooks, apartments, and the master bed room (3)
I like that one too, but it took me 8 clears to get the next key the first time I went there, so I began to dislike it very much. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-27-2016, 03:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruinedyourday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

pretty please?
Well, it all starts a long, long time ago...(and my memory is a bit foggy)

Mayong is an old, old character in the lore. Possibly older than the dark elves themselves. I believe, if I remember right, he was a high elf who's thirst for power caused him to enter into a dark pact for immortality before Innoruuk corrupted the first high elves and created the dark elves. After seeing Inny's creations, Mayong realized that he could use their inherent thirst for power and began surrounding his castle with them.

As Mayong went about his evil business, he somehow came into contact with Tserrina, who was a dark elf enchantress of some renown. She, like Mayong, had been attempting her own means of achieving immortality through her magic. The two fell in love and during their engagement, Mayong granted Tserrina the "gift" of immortality in the form of his vampirism.

Unfortunately neither of them realized that the various magics Tserrina had already used were incompatible with Mayong's "gift." Slowly, Tserrina began to change. Her face turned to stone and began to crack, robbing her of her beauty. She sprouted those bat-like wings. She began to slowly lose her mind. Mayong, realizing she no longer served his purposes left the tower, promising to return on their wedding day.

When that day arrived, Mayong returned and Tserrina presented him with her wedding present: a dracoliche. Mayong had long hated the dragons (note the + RoS faction hits in Mistmoore) and she believed that he would love seeing a dragon corrupted in death to serve his will. Well, he didn't. He saw the creature as an abomination, and fled the tower, on her wedding day, sealing her within. She went completely and utterly mad, cursed him, cursed the wedding guests and all of the other servants in the tower, leaving it sealed until we (the EQ players) ventured inside to find it.

As a secret nerd, the ending scene of Depths of Darkhollow between Mayong and Tserrina was particularly awesome for me. Very good stuff.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Mayong is an old, old character in the lore. Possibly older than the dark elves themselves. I believe, if I remember right, he was a high elf who's thirst for power caused him to enter into a dark pact for immortality before Innoruuk corrupted the first high elves and created the dark elves. After seeing Inny's creations, Mayong realized that he could use their inherent thirst for power and began surrounding his castle with them.

As Mayong went about his evil business, he somehow came into contact with Tserrina, who was a dark elf enchantress of some renown. She, like Mayong, had been attempting her own means of achieving immortality through her magic. The two fell in love and during their engagement, Mayong granted Tserrina the "gift" of immortality in the form of his vampirism.

Unfortunately neither of them realized that the various magics Tserrina had already used were incompatible with Mayong's "gift." Slowly, Tserrina began to change. Her face turned to stone and began to crack, robbing her of her beauty. She sprouted those bat-like wings. She began to slowly lose her mind. Mayong, realizing she no longer served his purposes left the tower, promising to return on their wedding day.

When that day arrived, Mayong returned and Tserrina presented him with her wedding present: a dracoliche. Mayong had long hated the dragons (note the + RoS faction hits in Mistmoore) and she believed that he would love seeing a dragon corrupted in death to serve his will. Well, he didn't. He saw the creature as an abomination, and fled the tower, on her wedding day, sealing her within. She went completely and utterly mad, cursed him, cursed the wedding guests and all of the other servants in the tower, leaving it sealed until we (the EQ players) ventured inside to find it.

As a secret nerd, the ending scene of Depths of Darkhollow between Mayong and Tserrina was particularly awesome for me. Very good stuff.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-27-2016, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:

I could listen to you type all day.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:37 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbcb0717 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought VT mobs were demons some if the names translate to Latin for demon and other evil things if I remember
I know they translate to something: I remember the blobs translated to Black Blood of the Earth or some such, but none of it was connected or revisited in later expansions to explain the origins, how they fit into the pantheon...all of the stuff that had made the previous bits of EQ Great.

Where did Aten come from? Where did the Centi come from? If Norrath is a world created by gods, who's races are created by gods, you can't just insert extra crap. Or, you CAN insert extra crap as long as you do it proper justice by weaving it into the existing lore somehow.

VT drove me mad for a long time. On Live, when my character was level 100,000,000 with a bajillion hitpoints and all of that bullshit, I used to go into the zone just to look for clues and found...none. For a long time I was convinced that the lore was there just waiting to be found, and nobody who raids hardcore had the time to look (I remember what it was like on Live raiding that zone: you didn't have time to stop and smell the flowers). But later, when I had time to really poke around, dig and try to find the clues there was nothing.

It was just a linear series of corridors with predictable boss mob placement, trash to clear to get to the bosses and no "soul."

It's a great example of a "modern MMO dungeon layout," but it's not a good example of what made EverQuest great: world-building.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:07 PM
Sarnak

That last fucking mirror behind Tserinna still bothers me.
Closed Thread