Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-25-2020, 11:19 AM
Large Rat

Default Crashing on Zoning/Character Login

Hey all,
Been around for about 2 months now on p99 and love it!
The game ran fantastic with or without wineq2 for the entire time until about 2 weeks ago. The main reason I switched to wineq2 was the gamma issue when I would close the game and also windowed full screen mode is always nice.
I all of a sudden have an issue where it can sometimes take me 10 tries to login to the game. I get to the character select screen always but when i click enter world it would show the loading bar and then just hang. If I DO actually make it in it runs great without exception. Perfect FPS and all. BUT if i try to zone there is seemingly a 50/50 chance it will just freeze. I have to Ctrl+Shift+Esc to bring up task manager and close out eqgame.exe which is in a (not responding) state. I searched everywhere and most of the fixes I have stumbled upon haven't worked out. I am currently running the game in XP SP2 compatibility mode (both wineq2 and eqgame.exe). If I missed a sticky somewhere please feel free to link it or any input would be greatly appreciated. Completely at a loss due to the inconsistency of the crashes.

Let me know if any logs or other info is required.

System Specs:
i7 6700k
16gb Ram
nvidia GTX 1080 FTW
Game installed on its own SSD with nothing else on it. SSD Tests fine.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:29 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I'm having this exact problem. Except I just started and it freezes when I click "Enter World". I've tried several fixes to no avail. Would love to start playing if anyone has any fixes. I've installed and uninstalled 5 times now. Deleted files etc. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2020, 09:43 PM
Orc

Same here. If I watch my log it usually (but not always) hangs at "Waiting to connect to zone...". I won't see a loading bar or anything. It just freezes and I have to kill the process.

I tried tethering to my phone to see if a different connection would fix it, but it makes no difference. I've also tried completely reinstalling with no modifications to the client besides using WinEQ2. My wife has also been experiencing the same problems on her machine.

Interestingly, I have noticed that it only really happens at peak times. If I play any time before 4pm or after 12am CST I can zone fine every time.