Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 09:24 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New Monk on Green ; gear and making money questions

Hail fellow Norrathians,

I'm a returning player from the early days of Everquest ~early 2000s and excited to jump into the classic version of the game again as I remember from my young.

I rolled a human monk in the good ol town of Freeport like my first ever character and boy is this a culture shock from modern games today.

I just started playing so I know there will be a learning curve and grind until I can start making enough plat to gear appropriately, but the biggest hurdle for my monk is the pesky weight limit.

I was able to buy 2 medicine bags with my first plats, so that helps for inventory management, however even my cloth gear is weighing me down.

Someone recommended I save up for a set of Cured Silk.

My question is, how much would a full set of Cured Silk go for and what type of 1HB weapons should I be keeping my eyes out for. Same goes for Jewelry.

I am slowly building gold from the weapons I sell, but even the money weighs me down, jeez, so I've been inching to spend my growing pockets on bits and pieces here and there, I just don't know where to start. Also, is there a better way to make money in early levels; I started saving bone chips to sell but no one has taken me up on the offer in the short time I've played.

Anyways, any help/guidance is appreciated and look forward to working my way back to raids eventually. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2020, 10:54 AM
Sarnak

In your super early levels, don't worry as much about the weight thing, especially if your first toon is the monk. Load up on those rusty weapons and sell away!

Super newbie monks should be DW'ing Cracked Staves I've heard. Cured silk would be good to save up for, but I don't think it's too hard to make some Raw Silk while you're waiting and it's pretty low-weight, too.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

https://wiki.project1999.com/Treasure_Hunting_Guide

and

https://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide

Are good places to start - but keep in mind that a lot of people follow these so your initial choices may already be claimed.

-Mcoy
Old 06-07-2020, 06:09 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks for the advice. Raw Silk sounds like a great option until I can save up for Cured Silk.

Can any level tailor craft Silk Satches/Raw Silk or will I need to level the skill up first? I'll have to be on the look out for some Spider Silk.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:15 PM
Planar Protector

Your chance to fail decreases as the skill increases up to the point it becomes trivial. Just keep combining any silks you come across (bonus is the results stack, unlike the silks themselves).

https://wiki.project1999.com/Skill_Tailoring

The following table breaks down your success chance % based on skill level:

https://wiki.project1999.com/TradeskillTable

-Mcoy
Last edited by mcoy; 06-07-2020 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 06-07-2020, 07:51 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks Mcoy,

Those stats saved me possibly losing some materials. Instead, I was able to sell some bone chips and buy the swatches directly. A kind player crafted the raw silk for me. Finally rocking some light weight armor I can actually take a hit in!

I've got one cracked stave and might get another from a skeleton unless I find something better or fists start doing more damage.

I guess my last question would be jewelry related. If I have a budget of 2-5 plat each, what kind of earrings/rings should I be looking for. +2 stat, +5 stat items, etc. I'll start with what I can afford now and work for better stuff when I'm higher level and can afford it.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:46 AM
Sarnak

With most of those early-game tailoring recipes (tattered/patchwork and raw silk) I just dumped 21pts into tailoring and started making them from there. You get a few failures here and there, but you don't have to go nuts on training and skillups- you're just making armor as you kill, after all.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:53 PM
Planar Protector

Monk on green needs no gear and needs no money.

Enjoy leveling up in cloth with fists.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:00 PM
Planar Protector

I'd start saving for either magic gloves or a magic weapon so you can kill things like willowisps and ghouls. Once you can down wisps you can bank an easy 1-200p as you xp off them and get some jewelry.

-Mcoy
Old 06-08-2020, 06:39 PM
Orc

One thing you can do is pick up a pair of mesh gloves , they are on a lot of Vendors esp on the dark elf vendors in south ro , for around 8p . they are ac 4 and magic gloves the same stats as wus gauntlets but only 8p vs 75p tailors try to charge.

saw some on the vendors yesterday. all the mesh armor is good same stats as cured silk but looks like leather vs cloth, weighs a bit more .

As far as the weight issue, on my first monk i followed it , got him to lvl 85 , then on my 60 monk and my 54 monk i didnt follow it so extreme, like id hover around 30 weight, and didnt see any real negatives from it sure being over the stone limit it hurt your AC , but i onlu lost about 25 AC, unless you are soloing you may notice it, but being in a group where you are not tanking, its not that bad really. resist are more important for FD and pulling than 25 AC.

later on you can look at gem inlaid gauntlets, or treant fist quest, i actually gave a lvl 8 monk Griffon tallon gloves yesterday, and have given away 5 sets of mesh , if you see me on let me know i can maybe hook you up with a pair of magic gloves , so you can kill those wisp for Greater lightstones 15p a pop.

Balthazaar 50 Necro Fires of Heaven

Brucleeroy 36 Monk Fires of Heaven
Closed Thread