Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 07:29 PM
Banned

cant wait until red 2.0, lot less complaining. never has an mmorpg server fostered a more crybaby atmosphere than blue p99 servers. the staff and playerbase have fostered it. We are all 30+ males. The fuck is wrong with all of you.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:37 PM
Sarnak

some servers were softer than others in 1999, the rathe had a rotation going between the top 4-5 guilds or so well into velious
Old 07-21-2020, 09:36 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkalinesky [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is this narrative that the strongest guild on this server is overly benevolent in their willingness to share rotated content with the underling guilds. They “graciously” share the less desirable content of the game with “far lesser” players who, in the dominant narrative, would never have a chance otherwise. Who knows, maybe they’re right. Maybe they could simply hold down all raid content 24-7 and force other guilds to kill orcs in Oasis at level 50 endlessly.

Or, maybe, this narrative serves a purpose to guide the server in such a way that this dominance is never challenged. We all know what our experience has been when there is a challenge for any 7-day content the dominant guild doesn’t want to lose. If they don’t just steamroll it outright, there are endless fraps and endless petitions and endless lawyer quests. They are happy with competition – to a point - as long as it is perfectly executed according to their standards. Any moves upward or outward of the box they have created for the server is seen as an existential threat to their status quo.

But the question for guilds like ours is; why do we continue to perpetuate a system that grants a sense of legitimacy to the dominant guild’s motivations and true intentions? Why do we allow this narrative of benevolence and inferiority to continue unchallenged? We decided not to. As I stated elsewhere, we are more than happy to lose fairly. I'd rather lose on our terms than win on theirs. And we will work to become stronger, more competitive, and more connected in the process. We look forward to the challenge.
Seal Team would be getting a larger slice of every pie if things went to UN-less. Giving up 1/5th of every month's pixels to a failed "open raid" system that basically zero non-raiders even attend. The Federation and Seal Team would probably both benefit from it being gone.

Things need to be done by way of the UN, not the way of Seal Team's opinion. The Federation has a larger say. Why aren't you angry that things are forced to be done based on the will of The Federation?

Step back from the us vs them, look at the actual picture of the server. How many votes does each group have in the UN? How was Fear going for everyone before the rotation was agreed to? It's ridiculous that you just have this narrative in your mind and it doesn't matter how based in reality it actually is.

Leave the UN, let it fall apart, we'll see how you feel in a couple of months when you can't get enough Planar gear or Sky keys or quest pieces due to all of the mobs being FTE with loc'd spreadsheets and permacamped just like launch Fear. Then suddenly <Seal Team> will be the bad guy for the exact opposite of the current nebulous reasons.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:55 PM
Sarnak

Keep big government off the dragons! Pull yourselves up by your j-boots and take that loot.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:07 AM
Large Bat

EVERYBODY is bitching about Lineage camping Tranix...

NOBODY seems to give a fuck about SEAL TEAM monopolizing Ishva Mal.

WHICH one of you guilds is getting past island 4 in the first couple weeks, eh? EH??? WHICH ONE OF YOU?
Old 07-22-2020, 02:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkalinesky [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is this narrative that the strongest guild on this server is overly benevolent in their willingness to share rotated content with the underling guilds. They “graciously” share the less desirable content of the game with “far lesser” players who, in the dominant narrative, would never have a chance otherwise. Who knows, maybe they’re right. Maybe they could simply hold down all raid content 24-7 and force other guilds to kill orcs in Oasis at level 50 endlessly.

Or, maybe, this narrative serves a purpose to guide the server in such a way that this dominance is never challenged. We all know what our experience has been when there is a challenge for any 7-day content the dominant guild doesn’t want to lose. If they don’t just steamroll it outright, there are endless fraps and endless petitions and endless lawyer quests. They are happy with competition – to a point - as long as it is perfectly executed according to their standards. Any moves upward or outward of the box they have created for the server is seen as an existential threat to their status quo.

But the question for guilds like ours is; why do we continue to perpetuate a system that grants a sense of legitimacy to the dominant guild’s motivations and true intentions? Why do we allow this narrative of benevolence and inferiority to continue unchallenged? We decided not to. As I stated elsewhere, we are more than happy to lose fairly. I'd rather lose on our terms than win on theirs. And we will work to become stronger, more competitive, and more connected in the process. We look forward to the challenge.
Your forum join date is quite recent, given the history of the server. Before you joined, many years ago now, there was a guild called The Mystical Order. They kept kunark content locked down for 5 years(The details are becomming foggy now, IB had it until VP launched something like 2 years after kunark opened then TMO locked it down. Someone with a better memory correct the details please). by locked down I mean probably 97% of all spawns. 24/7.

I predict this will happen again if player agreed rotations fall. Believe me when I say I understand your point of view. I lived it for every week of Blue's history from the third week of launch until about 3 years ago when I quit Blue. The only reason it was broken is because Rogean, and probably the rest of the CSR team at the time, created the Class C/R/FFA system. This allowed us casual scum guilds to get actual raiding experience on the encounters with P99 formulas.

Good luck with the struggle Lineage. I wish you the best. I will attend your funeral when the time comes.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 07-22-2020, 02:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EVERYBODY is bitching about Lineage camping Tranix...

NOBODY seems to give a fuck about SEAL TEAM monopolizing Ishva Mal.

WHICH one of you guilds is getting past island 4 in the first couple weeks, eh? EH??? WHICH ONE OF YOU?
With enough Air pets, it's not that bad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 07-22-2020, 03:10 AM
Banned

Only thing I know is I've got a Federal Corvette. Keep staring at those walls while i stare into the abyss of a black hole at an obscure corner of an unknown galaxy.

Nerds.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:58 AM
Planar Protector

TMO's period of dominance was about 2 years - not 5. TMO pretty quickly fell apart after staff outlawed VP train wars and its core largely quit. I feel like that was early 2014, but I'm not sure now. TMO rose to dominance in late 2011 / early 2012.

I think now about how TMO was and how the staff allowed them to be, and then I consider Seal Team and their willingness to give up competing on lots of stuff, and their willingness to subject themselves to the rules created in the UN (in which the Federation has made numerous attempts to stack votes in their favor, including trying to sign up a friendly guild behind their back that didn't even want to join), and it makes me think that a lot of raiders don't know how bad they could have had it. I've never seen a top guild so reasonable and willing to compromise, so willing to quickly concede when they know they screwed up (instead of lawyerquesting everything), and to ask for reasonable concessions when another guild/force is in the wrong. Couple that with the Federation and how they fight (lawyerquest) tooth and nail when they are clearly in the wrong, present embarrassing ignorance of fundamental game mechanics when attempting to defend their shenanigans, and seem more interested in getting Seal Team in trouble than actually improving the raiding landscape - and I'm surprised that Seal Team is willing to cooperate at all.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:41 AM
Banned

adding "questing" as a suffix to a word makes you cool and makes the other person super owned

also currently eating six eggs
Closed Thread