Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 01:57 AM
Fire Giant

All these classes have floors and ceilings depending on the player. So the question is: do you rate based of the ceiling? the floor? Or the estimated competency of the average player?

If you go off ceiling, rogue/warrior are probably at the bottom. If you go off floor, it's probably ranger, wizard, rogue in some order, but all the hybrids are pretty awful if the player is bad.

Also, do you factor in the EXP penalty? If so it's all the hybrids. A bad Troll SK may be the worst, but a bad bard (one who just melees while playing 1 song) is also quite bad.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All these classes have floors and ceilings depending on the player. So the question is: do you rate based of the ceiling? the floor? Or the estimated competency of the average player?

If you go off ceiling, rogue/warrior are probably at the bottom. If you go off floor, it's probably ranger, wizard, rogue in some order, but all the hybrids are pretty awful if the player is bad.

Also, do you factor in the EXP penalty? If so it's all the hybrids. A bad Troll SK may be the worst, but a bad bard (one who just melees while playing 1 song) is also quite bad.
I can tell you as someone who plays multiple healers, I love having warriors in my group.
I routinely root mobs anyways, and aggro is essentially a non-issue. Rangers on the other hand I cannot stand having in my groups. I have had so many 5-man groups who were easily holding a camp and then they get the bright idea to invite a ranger and it wipes us because his constant aggro and inability to mitigate damage means I have to spam heals on him the entire time — and then I don’t have mana to heal the essential players.

Rogues have at least pulled my corpses on numerous occasions. I’ve yet to have a Ranger do anything other than get on my nerves.

Wizard is pretty shitty too. Imagine if Wizards couldn’t teleport to the Planes, they would essentially serve no purpose. My Cleric can solo camp stuff easier than most Wizards and that’s really sad.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can tell you as someone who plays multiple healers, I love having warriors in my group.
I routinely root mobs anyways, and aggro is essentially a non-issue. Rangers on the other hand I cannot stand having in my groups. I have had so many 5-man groups who were easily holding a camp and then they get the bright idea to invite a ranger and it wipes us because his constant aggro and inability to mitigate damage means I have to spam heals on him the entire time — and then I don’t have mana to heal the essential players.

Rogues have at least pulled my corpses on numerous occasions. I’ve yet to have a Ranger do anything other than get on my nerves.

Wizard is pretty shitty too. Imagine if Wizards couldn’t teleport to the Planes, they would essentially serve no purpose. My Cleric can solo camp stuff easier than most Wizards and that’s really sad.
Drugs.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundumbwing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Drugs.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-22-2020, 04:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Sounds like you've grouped with some bad rangers. Too many of them don't utilize their toolkit fully. Rangers can actually tank fairly well in classic if they gear smartly. Geared in Fear armor, I only have like 40ac less than my guilds fear-geared SK tank. I tanked no problem in many groups while leveling up, and when there was a tank, I was pulling for the group or peeling adds off casters and rooting them, assisting monk pullers with harmony, etc.

A competent ranger can definitely pull their weight. It's the scrubs that just melee and occasionally snare mobs and do nothing else that aren't worth having.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like you've grouped with some bad rangers. Too many of them don't utilize their toolkit fully. Rangers can actually tank fairly well in classic if they gear smartly. Geared in Fear armor, I only have like 40ac less than my guilds fear-geared SK tank. I tanked no problem in many groups while leveling up, and when there was a tank, I was pulling for the group or peeling adds off casters and rooting them, assisting monk pullers with harmony, etc.

A competent ranger can definitely pull their weight. It's the scrubs that just melee and occasionally snare mobs and do nothing else that aren't worth having.
I mean, it feels like the Rangers I group with are intentionally grabbing aggro, but I also have memories from 20 years ago about people complaining about the same thing. (Rangers getting aggro and dying). I've used Rangers tanks, but it feels like.... 30-35 is when they start to fall off. Like a Ranger trying to tank Kobold Royals seldom ends well, and it's frustrating when you have an actual tank in the group who takes almost no damage from tanking the same mobs, but he can't because the Ranger has aggro the entire time.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:10 AM
Planar Protector

Ranger has a million root spells. Against mobs that don’t summon they have very little excuse for taking hits beyond they want to.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ranger has a million root spells. Against mobs that don’t summon they have very little excuse for taking hits beyond they want to.
Yeah, it always baffles me too. A Ranger could insure tank always has aggro by rooting mob and stepping back a bit, but very few have any concept of this, and trying to explain it to them just means they'll get angry and start raging. No one in this game likes being told how to play their class, even if they're playing it completely wrong. Watched a Bard explode on someone the other day because they asked if they could interrupt Justicar's when they healed.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:24 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:

Wizards are the 'oh shit, something went wrong' panic button. You can burn a couple things down fast, you can evac if some idiot from Efreeti trains you with a billion imps. It's definitely true they're average, but I've had no problem making friends and regularly grouping with mine. If Wizards were given the Clarity line instead of adding to an Enchanter's already impressive toolbox, It'd make more sense to have a purely mana-based DPS caster class.

Wizards can quadkite, root 'n nuke, and at earlier levels, shoot three 300 range bolts at a mob before it has a chance to deal damage.

P99B Strazha (60 Warlock) [Iksar]
P99B Sstrix (60 Warlord) [Iksar]
P99B Sickjams (5 Bard) [EC Mule]
P99G Sauna (51 Channeler) [Gnome]
P99R Sseri (54 Mystic) [Iksar]
VZ/TZ '08-'09 Lurgort (60 Shaman) [Barbarian] <Eight Inches Unbuffed>
Old 07-22-2020, 07:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgort/Sseri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wizards are the 'oh shit, something went wrong' panic button. You can burn a couple things down fast, you can evac if some idiot from Efreeti trains you with a billion imps. It's definitely true they're average, but I've had no problem making friends and regularly grouping with mine. If Wizards were given the Clarity line instead of adding to an Enchanter's already impressive toolbox, It'd make more sense to have a purely mana-based DPS caster class.

Wizards can quadkite, root 'n nuke, and at earlier levels, shoot three 300 range bolts at a mob before it has a chance to deal damage.
That's true, Wizards do actually fill a real role that's important. Ironically the only time anyone has ever evac'd me was in the exact same scenario you just described (usually people are scared to evac). The reason I say Wizards is bad is because the other INT casters feel insanely powerful due to the nature of their pets. Would probably be pretty awesome playing a Wizard at high level though. I doubt they have as much competition for loot in raids.
Closed Thread