Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Aviak

Default But that's not classic

I think there are two types of p99 players for the most part. The 'classic' camp and the 'who cares' side. Seems to me the majority of players who play on this server are 'classic' but personally I am not. To explain my history, I remember playing eq back shortly after release and unsubbed somewhere towards the end of Kunark and resub for a while during PoP. I explain this cause I don't want people to think that I am suggesting the game should be turned into WoW 0.9, but merely we should discuss why things should be kept purely 'classic.' /disclaimer

If we look at the newb zone in Kunark, we can pretty clearly see that back in 2000-ish, if Sony had the resources they probably would have cleaned up a lot of the confusion: many less useless vendor trash items; a lot more quests; a lot less waiting for someone to port you from here to there (unless you choose to leave Kunark ofc). I didn't play whatever the froglok expansion was so I really have no clue what that one was like.

What I'm not asking is for there to be a minimap and quest ! above every npc's head. Some things I think shouldn't be touched at all ofc. Corpse runs are just part of the game. Dying to things when you start a fight you shouldn't have, is just part of the game. Dying in PVP on the PVP server (for the most part, lets not discuss level ranges etc here) is just part of the damn game. Dying cause you are the wrong race and you are in a city you shouldn't be, part, of, the, damn, game. Dying to travelling to far away places when you should have gotten a port, part of the damn game.

I ask cause I think what must turn off a lot of totally new players is how confusing things are, even with a wiki. Granted back then there was alakazam, which was unreliable at best, and now there is the p99 wiki which while not perfect is pretty good. 'What is this for?' Useless sorry, go kill some skeletons. Want to level, sorry you have to go far far away.

I think the biggest con to this kinda approach is that there are a lot of easy servers out there that already but people choose to play here still. Obv a 'clean up' would be a ton of work and probably pose as many new problems as it would solve.

So what do you think? I guess the crux of my question is, is it classic to make medium quality bear pelts do something more than low quality ones? Or does the game suddenly become not everquest when AGI actually does something?
Last edited by Mr Popo; 06-27-2015 at 11:41 AM..
Old 06-27-2015, 11:46 AM
Planar Protector

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_cAS-mvV20
Old 06-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Aviak

'[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]'
Old 06-27-2015, 12:01 PM
Fire Giant

I see a lot of words. Next time you write, consider waiting until the caffeine rush is gone.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:02 PM
Aviak

no
Old 06-27-2015, 12:07 PM
Fire Giant

8)
Old 06-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Planar Protector

I think people play here because it is the most classic EQ that is available. If they wanted something else they wouldnt be here. Accept it for what it is, friend.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 06-27-2015, 12:12 PM
Planar Protector

wut
Old 06-27-2015, 12:15 PM
Planar Protector

That's a whole lotta words used to never actually say anything, maybe you're looking for a different server.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Popo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think there are two types of p99 players for the most part. The 'classic' camp and the 'who cares' side. Seems to me the majority of players who play on this server are 'classic' but personally I am not. To explain my history, I remember playing eq back shortly after release and unsubbed somewhere towards the end of Kunark and resub for a while during PoP. I explain this cause I don't want people to think that I am suggesting the game should be turned into WoW 0.9, but merely we should discuss why things should be kept purely 'classic.' /disclaimer

If we look at the newb zone in Kunark, we can pretty clearly see that back in 2000-ish, if Sony had the resources they probably would have cleaned up a lot of the confusion: many less useless vendor trash items; a lot more quests; a lot less waiting for someone to port you from here to there (unless you choose to leave Kunark ofc). I didn't play whatever the froglok expansion was so I really have no clue what that one was like.

What I'm not asking is for there to be a minimap and quest ! above every npc's head. Some things I think shouldn't be touched at all ofc. Corpse runs are just part of the game. Dying to things when you start a fight you shouldn't have, is just part of the game. Dying in PVP on the PVP server (for the most part, lets not discuss level ranges etc here) is just part of the damn game. Dying cause you are the wrong race and you are in a city you shouldn't be, part, of, the, damn, game. Dying to travelling to far away places when you should have gotten a port, part of the damn game.

I ask cause I think what must turn off a lot of totally new players is how confusing things are, even with a wiki. Granted back then there was alakazam, which was unreliable at best, and now there is the p99 wiki which while not perfect is pretty good. 'What is this for?' Useless sorry, go kill some skeletons. Want to level, sorry you have to go far far away.

I think the biggest con to this kinda approach is that there are a lot of easy servers out there that already but people choose to play here still. Obv a 'clean up' would be a ton of work and probably pose as many new problems as it would solve.

So what do you think? I guess the crux of my question is, is it classic to make medium quality bear pelts do something more than low quality ones? Or does the game suddenly become not everquest when AGI actually does something?
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If you want a server that's further along, there's PEQ

If you want a server that's completely devoid of "classic", there's The Hidden Forest

If you want to enjoy yourself, there's red <3
Closed Thread