Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 08:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its a fair argument Gustoo. Maybe if i work on the SK he'll get to the point where I don't have enough mana to safely split, etc and i'll (or groupmates) will start dieing cos I'm oom, but i haven't reached there yet.
That won't happen. I've been using my Shadow Knight a long time and there are a few situations that run me out of mana, but none of them have much to do with ordinary group activities. What does? Solo can, often enough. That's by far the most common case of straining the mana bar. I have at times had solo battles where being able to cast a couple extra taps or an extra snare meant the difference between winning or losing, and lots more cases where having some extra mana allowed for maintaining the safety net of at least being able to feign if needed. I've also occasionally lost solo battles due to running out of mana. Some niche situations where I need to do burst damage (such as getting an add while duo'ing that has to die ASAP) also strain the mana bar. Very high-level Shadow Knights do respectable burst damage while the mana bar lasts. Finally, I've run into a few situations where I've had to feign many many times in succession and run myself low or out of mana that way. That last one hasn't happened recently since FD-memblur was tinkered with but I'll mention it anyway.

I like INT on the large races because their normal melee statistics are so high to begin with, but it's not required and other allocations give good service as well. You can't really hurt a large race character the same way something like a Dark Elf on a fresh server with no added strength will be in for a bad time for awhile.

Danth
Old 11-26-2019, 05:37 AM
Decaying Skeleton

It should give you confidence knowing you aren't going to break your character no matter which path you choose. People have done all of those things and succeeded. Personally I'm a proponent on INT on Ogre/Troll.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:58 AM
Kobold

Just an update. We are all leveling slow and steady. He is doing pretty well now. Enjoy's the SK but still has doubts about picking Troll over Ogre/DE. Eh I suppose that will always be a thing. He still like the troll model though. It also helps that I'm tossing heals at him every so often. lol
Old 11-29-2019, 02:29 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xruptor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just an update. We are all leveling slow and steady. He is doing pretty well now. Enjoy's the SK but still has doubts about picking Troll over Ogre/DE. Eh I suppose that will always be a thing. He still like the troll model though. It also helps that I'm tossing heals at him every so often. lol
Post lvl 20 when regen becomes the real deal, at least the next year in classic era, he shouldn't have any complaints. It's a lot more powerful than people give it credit for when you are soloing fear-snare kiting
Old 11-29-2019, 11:04 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizilfkm [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Post lvl 20 when regen becomes the real deal, at least the next year in classic era, he shouldn't have any complaints. It's a lot more powerful than people give it credit for when you are soloing fear-snare kiting
Yeah I keep telling it the Troll Regen will be worth it in the long run. He is happy with it so we shall see how things go. Worst case scenario he rerolls Ogre/DE lol. In which case would piss us off, cause we'd have to wait for him to catch up.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:19 AM
Kobold

Well so far so good. We are level 9 now so that's not so bad. I guess he is sticking with his Troll SK. It's not as bad as we thought. Folks whom complaining about Hybrid XP in groups are overreacting. It's not THAT bad. Sure it's not 100% optimal but neither is it rock bottom terrible.

Thanks all for your help.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xruptor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well so far so good. We are level 9 now so that's not so bad. I guess he is sticking with his Troll SK. It's not as bad as we thought. Folks whom complaining about Hybrid XP in groups are overreacting. It's not THAT bad. Sure it's not 100% optimal but neither is it rock bottom terrible.

Thanks all for your help.
People really just complain about it when soloing. With a group everyone is splitting that xp up and hybrids just take a bigger slice of the pie than the rest.

That said, a capable tank is a very important part of a traditional group. I'm not on green but wouldn't mind slowing down the grind a bit for a sk or pally. Everyone has less hps so aggro control is vital. Having to track down a rez or wait for a squishy to run back to the group is going to slow down the grind even more.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Yeah I keep telling it the Troll Regen will be worth it in the long run. He is happy with it so we shall see how things go. Worst case scenario he rerolls Ogre/DE lol. In which case would piss us off, cause we'd have to wait for him to catch up.
Regeneration gets its own feign death table as well. It makes playing dead while AFK really handy for a quicker heal then usual.

I did something goofy on my troll and added 2 points to STR, 6 to Stamina, and rest in Intelligence. Why? So Str and Sta are 120 even and it looks appealing that way ;p lol