Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 10:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was about to post something similar but thankfully we have other people that share this mindset. Maybe we could have some indication to what a donation and amount would cover, for example, "A $50 donation covers the operational cost of [something] for [duration].".
I agree that would be nice ... and really in general I'm a very pro-transparency person. If you're going to beg people for money, I feel you owe them an honest explanation of where it's going.

But since P99 isn't "begging" for your money, they're just sort of saying "we're paying for all this so you can play here, and we wouldn't mind some help", I think BlackBellamy had it exactly right. You can donate ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
based on past value [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] This way I can't be disappointed about how I spent it.
Also, another challenge to releasing a "monthly cost of operations" number is that Rogean hosts the P99 servers the old school way (he builds a physical machine and installs it in a data center; no AWS here). So there's both fixed monthly data center hosting costs, unplanned non-monthly costs (eg. a hard drive failed and needs replacing), and planned non-monthly costs (eg. the new Green server). Not to mention of course Rogean's time: even if he never paid a single hardware cost or hosting fee, if Rogean just charged us half his professional rate this project would likely go belly up in a month or two [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I get the sense that Rogean isn't trying to keep those numbers a secret so much as he doesn't want to take the time to review his receipts and bank statements and such to calculate that number ... and again, he's ok with losing whatever people aren't willing to donate as a result, because he knows most still will:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
based on past value [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow Loramin, very interesting! I had heard of some kind of four-quadrant taxonomy, but I hadn't read into it much. It seems as though there is a competing four-quadrant model, as well. I might start a thread about this.

Hmm, food for thought.
Yeah, I'd love to see a separate thread on it.

I think that that "meta-MMOG design" stuff is fascinating, and really helps you understand why games succeed or fail. Ance once you start thinking that way (in terms of groups of players and what they're each looking to experience in their game) it seems painfully obvious in retrospect: of course the successful games are the ones that create a place where every different type of player can play and have fun in their own way.

I don't necessarily think the Bartle taxonomy is the best or anything, but I do especially like their take on the "Killer" archetype, because I think it explains so much (though certainly not everything) about why WoW/DaoC/SWG/etc. succeeded with PvP and EQ didn't.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilstoniakrath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Deleveled twinks ganking true noobs in low level zones is just pathetic
Part of the reason why red is dead right meow
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:17 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah I'm just going to reiterate that classic everquest without item loot doesn't give anyone sub level 50/60 to PVP except for contesting loot targets.

When it comes to normal pop grinding through levels, they just run away to a shittier zone to avoid the pvp battle, so pvp doesn't happen and when it does it is an inconvenience.

The only thing that makes griefers worth fighting is item loot, when you get to take a valuable piece of gear from them when you and your noob gang manage to kill a guy.

Low level griefers are usually not grouped because if they could get a group together, they would probably kill some actual content.

Either way they are actually worth killing when they can be looted, and the old naked player killer is a much softer target and O.K. to deal with.

You're always going to have that naked wizard swinging by to try to get a cheap shot on a low HP player, that will never stop. With item loot its actually worth fighting the real twinks.

Also posting videos of twinks running away as the visible graphics on their items go away as they're bagged is always nice and shameful for those dudes.

Even though I mainly want a rallos zek full classic timeline server, I think the best server for this community is discord permadeath because it lets people win and go down in history, and then the server resets and everyone gets to go through the fun time again. The server gets more and more dead as competition gets eliminated..then it resets.

Its worth a try anyways and this kind of server is expected to wipe so there is no p99 ethos risk there.
Lost but not forgotten.
Last edited by Gustoo; 09-24-2019 at 11:23 AM..
Old 09-24-2019, 12:04 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only thing that makes griefers worth fighting is item loot, when you get to take a valuable piece of gear from them when you and your noob gang manage to kill a guy.
On Rallos the griefers were all wearing solely nodrop shit already, it was just a way to take your stuff. Item loot was awful.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:32 PM
Planar Protector

That mainly comes to play in velious when you can get stuff like the cool thurg no drop stuff.

Junk from Lguk is worse than banded so they aren't hi threat and easy to smash. There will always be bad guys being disruptive under all rulesets. The biggest pvp problem (super twinks) are actually a fun part of the game when there is item loot.

The garbage you are wearing when you get killed in unrest is not impactful to your ability to enjoy the game. The fluidity of item ownership also creates a way more enjoyable economy. Items were cheap.

The players are a lot different 20 years later. People know that there is more than 1 place to level up for one thing.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow Loramin, very interesting! I had heard of some kind of four-quadrant taxonomy, but I hadn't read into it much. It seems as though there is a competing four-quadrant model, as well. I might start a thread about this.
Just checked it out, I'd never heard of it either! I'm trying to decide whether I'm a Socializer or an Explorer. I'll be looking out for a separate topic on this! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Werga ⋆ Level 29 Shaman ⋆ Troll
Taruuk ⋆ Level 14 Necromancer ⋆ Dark Elf

Old 09-24-2019, 01:06 PM
Aviak

All I want to know is if we are on track to procure new equipment because the man said we need new equipment, y'all read into shit way to much. Both me and My g/f have channeled 100 together so far this year. I honestly just want to know if we are on track, ya know alil transparency. Cause i'm going to be playing green and new equipment and no problems would be nice.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:00 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riiyan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All I want to know is if we are on track to procure new equipment because the man said we need new equipment, y'all read into shit way to much. Both me and My g/f have channeled 100 together so far this year. I honestly just want to know if we are on track, ya know alil transparency. Cause i'm going to be playing green and new equipment and no problems would be nice.
good finances & good equipment does not guarantee no problems, so that question would not answer your inquiry. they don't owe you any transparency. he said he's gonna buy new equipment, with or without the donations. donations will just help reimburse some or all of the cost. that % is nobody's business.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:54 PM
Fire Giant

Thanks Loramin, I appreciate the honest reply. I'm also surprised that it's all physically hosted, a rarity these days!

P99 - Blue
Lafael - Druid - Level 60
Garnagle - Necro - Level 57
Seductress - Enchanter - Level 52
Sweets - Bard - Level 35
Venexia - Shaman - Level 60
Wonderelf - Warrior - Level 51
Closed Thread