Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 11:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexii [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dark Elf really should have Bard. Rest that they can't be (Monk, Ranger, Paladin, Shaman) would be really rare. I think the point was not to be able to be really rare/unlikely race/class combos cause they'd get picked a lot regardless. Everyone wants to be a Drizzt..
Speaking of Drizzt...

Is there any Dark Elf rangers left on p99 blue? Never seen one

Seen a Dark elf monk and Shaman

Haven't Seen a Dark elf - Paladin, Ranger, Druid
Old 09-19-2018, 12:19 AM
Planar Protector

EQ2 etc, look how well that worked out...
Old 09-19-2018, 08:01 AM
Sarnak

Remember, your character is part of a class guild. There is a dojo for iksar monks, The Swifttails.

There are actually a ton of iksar rogues, but they aren't a sanctioned guild in Cabilis. They're literally outlaws
Old 09-19-2018, 08:16 AM
Aviak

Yup, there are Iksar bandits and marauders. These both are rogues. They actually might be warrior/rogue.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:23 AM
Planar Protector

I really like the lack of Guild answer. The player characters are always starting recruits for a guild in the world. This works for a lot of the issues trying to rationalize some character race combinations but it does ignore a few that I think should exist, especially some half-elven options like shadowknight or casters who basically live in the human cities and there are abundant guilds.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:39 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelaboon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think I’m many cases, EverQuest really designated what “makes sense” in terms of race/class limitations, but ultimately, if I really think about it, many of them don’t make sense.
I think Race/class restrictions exist for a couple reasons
  • Game Balance
  • Harkening to the days of 2nd edition D&D

Game Balance
Honestly I don't think it would break the game too bad. But it would be interesting to see an entire guild of Ogre everything because of frontal stun immunity, and high str/sta. With enough resources low int/cha/agi/dex can be overcome and any class would probably be best fit for this race endgame.

2nd Edition D&D
Remember this game is heavily based on concepts introduced by Dungeons & Dragons. The old editions limited class selection based on race. Monks and Paladin could only be humans. Classes could only get to certain levels as certain races. Not a huge factor but a factor none the less in the game's design.

----------

I've always thought it'd be cool to see an emulated server remove race restrictions to class but don't change cities at all and don't change the gear. Yeah you can be an Ogre Wizard, but you gotta find a wizard guild master that will train you, and wizard spell merchants that will sell to you. Probably some tough factioning in there somewhere, a lot of interesting gear choices for the Ogre Wizard. Could be neat. Definitely not "Classic" but that's the fun of some other emulated servers.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really like the lack of Guild answer. The player characters are always starting recruits for a guild in the world. This works for a lot of the issues trying to rationalize some character race combinations but it does ignore a few that I think should exist, especially some half-elven options like shadowknight or casters who basically live in the human cities and there are abundant guilds.
Yeah, but the half elf problem makes sense lore-wise as by lore half elves are widely ostracized and considered outsiders.

Religious fanatics and haughty scholars have no time for them.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, but the half elf problem makes sense lore-wise as by lore half elves are widely ostracized and considered outsiders.

Religious fanatics and haughty scholars have no time for them.
You've stretched that one way past broken pal. Last I checked Paladins, Druids, & Rangers are all Norrathian religious fanatics. If that's what passes for "truth" in your world it may well be time you ran for president irl.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:42 PM
Planar Protector

Paladins, druids and rangers are largely cool and normal, though.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:55 PM
Sarnak

Norrath is woke AF. Cultural appropriation is a big no-no.
Closed Thread